Yianni and the Longest Streaks

Brooklyn Dodger

11 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

I am not "generally misinformed." I was misinformed about whether the brackets posted the pre-tournament record or the post-tournament record. I guess I assumed the records were pre-tournament as the brackets are printed before the tourney starts.  

So - this is implying that you were looking at hard paper brackets printed before each NCAA tourney to get his record.  

Not digital brackets that you looked up online.  Since digital brackets you are looking at online were not, in fact, printed before each tourney. 

I am betting that you are looking at digital brackets.  Not printed brackets that you printed off before each NCAA tourney.  Did I win?

1 minute ago, Dark Energy said:

So - this is implying that you were looking at hard paper brackets printed before each NCAA tourney to get his record.  

Not digital brackets that you looked up online.  Since digital brackets you are looking at online were not, in fact, printed before each tourney. 

I am betting that you are looking at digital brackets.  Not printed brackets that you printed off before each NCAA tourney.  Did I win?

You're about to go into the vortex brother...

2 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

It's not implying that. I know the NCAA prints brackets with records before the tournament and after. I assumed that they updated the brackets as the tournament goes on, but did not change how the names and records were stated as of Round 1.

I had always thought that Gable's streak was 100. But some say it's 98 or 117 (which apparently counts his true freshman/unattached wins). 

The 100 number was oft-restated when Cael broke the record. An AP article at the time said: 

"Cael Sanderson, unbeaten in his college wrestling career, matched an Iowa State record with his 100th consecutive match victory Sunday.

Sanderson scored five takedowns before pinning Hofstra’s Ralph Everett at the 4:04 mark of the 184-pound match and tying Dan Gable’s school record that Iowa State lists as 100 consecutive victories from 1967-70. The NCAA does not keep such records, and other records have put Gable’s streak at 98."

Weird that the NCAA does not keep the record. 

The Iowa State record book credits Gable with 100 wins, which would mean his win-streak was also 100.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Bulwark said:

Anyway, if Yianni win his first 26, which looks to include the Cliff Keen and the National Collegiate Duals, he'll be able to claim the second longest D1 win streak ever.

Those in the know seem to be skeptical that he will wrestle Cliff Keen. Regardless of the total, it has been an amazing career.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Yianni’s streak is 75.

Kemp’s wiki applies current rules to results that counted at the time. I have his entire record in a doc after he called me in 2018 wondering why he wasn’t listed in ESPN’s graphic

Wrestling records in published reports are almost always suspect in the pre-computerization era due to wrestling’s penchant for absolutely stupid rules on what does and doesn’t count. Also, streaks that bridge the era of divisional splits also adds confusion, such as some athletes that competed in the college division, D2 and D3 included and others who did the same excluded. 

I’ve been trying to validate win streaks for years and it’s not easy. I’ve got a pretty robust list on my computer (it might also be accessible via a subscriber link but I’d have to double check) 

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here.