Nelson Brands tweets details on why his NCAA career is over

Jimmy Cinnabon

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think I am on an island here, but I think it is a bunch of crap that these guys got these punishments. The punishment does not fit the crime in my decidedly not humble opinion.

thems the rules

1 minute ago, ionel said:

thems the rules

Agreed.

But I also agree with myself that they are crappy rules. The NCAA, by the way, also agrees with me on that. We just differ in degree. If they did not agree with me they would not have changed the punishments retroactive to immediately before these crimes.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Agreed.

But I also agree with myself that they are crappy rules. The NCAA, by the way, also agrees with me on that. We just differ in degree. If they did not agree with me they would not have changed the punishments retroactive to immediately before these crimes.

Well sure ... we can agree to agree.  🙂

1 hour ago, ionel said:

hmm ... Doesn't he have a father who is a coach?  So he has a father & an uncle who are both coaches and all should know, plus a compliance officer, that he can not bet on NFL, MLB, college football, college basketball or tennis.

He missed the information meeting.  Perhaps it was optional?

image.png.2e19a0a80b975a1384eaa32db4fbb447.png

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

39 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Agreed.

Pretty harsh penalties for the crimes.  Losing the rest of their careers is nuts considering what they did.  

Edited by WildTurk

2 minutes ago, WildTurk said:

Pretty harsh penalties for the crimes.  Losing the rest of their careers is nuts considering what they did.  

These are known rules/regs.  Look at what the NCAA did to Dez Bryant and his team and he broke no rules.  The NCAA has never been consistent.  

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Agreed.

Things changed recently with regards to betting.  When the NCAA first outlawed betting years ago and made the initial rules the only sports betting was essentially illegal sports books.  It made sense to have harsher penalties at that time because if an athlete was betting they were also breaking the law.  Even betting on professional games could be problematic.  An athlete could end up in the hole with a bookie who might demand the debt be paid by fixing or point shaving their athletic contests.  Today I don't see why they continue to ban betting on professional sports since it is widely legal to do so and fewer negative externalities.

Also with the legalization of gambling it also makes it easier to catch offenders which should mean that the punishment doesn't have to be as harsh to serve its purpose.  If you are unlikely to catch offenders because they're doing all this on the black market, harshly punishing offenders can serve as a valuable deterrent.  If you can catch ~100% of offenders then it makes sense to have less harsh penalties because the near perfect enforcement is deterrent itself.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

hmm ... Doesn't he have a father who is a coach?  So he has a father & an uncle who are both coaches and all should know, plus a compliance officer, that he can not bet on NFL, MLB, college football, college basketball or tennis.

I'm more surprised that he has a father/uncle as a coach and was stupid enough to tweet that out, geez.

Does this count as consenting to have his name released?  Will we actually see a statement from Iowa naming him? 

• Fire 2

I’m not going to lie, I came into this expecting to click his thread and feel bad for him and think it was ridiculous.

Then I got to the part where he said “yeah I knew the rules. I didn’t attend the meeting. I just did it anyways because it’s not a huge deal” and he lost any sympathy I was going to give him. That’s a good PR example of how not to explain your situation to the public. 

• Fire 3

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

What would be your suggested punishment?

What college team do you support?  Pretend he wrestled for them.   Then you tell me the correct punishment in your eyes for what he did.

I've already said losing the rest of his career is too harsh of a punishment imo.  I knew there would be problems once online betting became legal in Iowa.  It sucks that only male's at Iowa and ISU were targets of the D.A.  They were hand picked.  No female's? No UNI? Drake? Coe? Wartburg?

I've accepted the ruling and am ready to move forward without Nelson Brands and Tony Cassioppi this year.  Both of them are the 3rd-4th best wrestlers at their respective weights aswell.  Big losses for Iowa. Life is unfair. Time to move forward 

Edited by WildTurk

The punishment does bring up an interesting point.  Because some would argue if he wasn't suspended for the postseason, then it's hardly a punishment at all.

We need a dual championship, so that he could have been suspended for that but not the individual tournament.