Vito next

Elevator

4 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

Did Snyder blow his knee out? Did Snyder wrestle a part time schedule to still do Freestyle events?

Everything Iowa did to/for Lee was only about what they can get from him. Wrestling without ACLs? Come on...

I suppose that Lee had no part in the decision as he is a robot. I also suppose that it has nothing to do with him being injury prone from a young age and that it has to be Iowa that destroyed his body and not anything genetic..

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Gus said:

I suppose that Lee had no part in the decision as he is a robot. I also suppose that it has nothing to do with him being injury prone from a young age and that it has to be Iowa that destroyed his body and not anything genetic..

Of course he had a say-so! And the coaches had the ability to override him, and say "get healthy." And they did not. 

Was that 11-year drought, that forced the 2021 run, really worth it for him? I'm sure it was for the Brands'. But, eventually, it will not be for Lee. 

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Did they?

Guy has his own tinfoil hat to wear.  Let him.  It helps him sleep.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

22 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

My God, I hope you're kidding. The Authority lies with the HC at any program, of any sport. 

Don't be dense.  There are far more office politics to deal with than simply "Narp.  You dun getta wrastle cuz we sed seaux."

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

19 hours ago, Takuto_Otoguro said:

This guy wrestled U17 worlds and got silver at 58kg all the way back in 2016. 

Is he the only noteable wrestler ever to try and wrestle on the senior level at a weight lower than they did at the U17 age group? 

19 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Gross.

Zane Richards

2023 57kg 2023 Senior Worlds

2011 58kg cadet worlds

2012 132 lb junior Fargo 2nd (lost two periods to zero to fellow 2023 world team member Zain Retherford 1-1, 1-1)

Edited by bnwtwg
  • Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

Or maybe Vito redshirts this year but finishes up his undergrad then does grad school at Binghamton so he can still train at Spartan?  I know he says he doesn’t want to stay in school but I assume he’s more referring to undergrad

Mostly joking, I know this isn’t going to happen

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If Fix is at the same weight as Vito, Brooks and Starocci are higher confidence for me in my opinion, and yes I know Vito majored Fix last year. I think Vito wrestles 133 but doesn’t get too big

Starocci would be my pick for highest level of confidence based on his dominance and the field of competition. Brooks will be a big favorite as well but there are some hammers at 197 to deal with in Sloan, Hidlay, Elam..

8 hours ago, Lleynor said:

Of course he had a say-so! And the coaches had the ability to override him, and say "get healthy." And they did not. 

Was that 11-year drought, that forced the 2021 run, really worth it for him? I'm sure it was for the Brands'. But, eventually, it will not be for Lee. 

You'll never convince Iowa fans that the way the program managed his injuries was wrong. They got what they wanted out of him, so as far as they are concerned, it was a success. 

• Stalling 1

8 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Any insiders from the Big Red know what the Vito plan is for next year?  Even if NCAA allows an Olympic year, does Cornell's own rules allow him to defer a year?

Since he's taking an ORS that means he won't be taking classes so that doesn't usually count against the Ivy clock. It's 8 semesters.

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Since he's taking an ORS that means he won't be taking classes so that doesn't usually count against the Ivy clock. It's 8 semesters.

You say that as if it is a done deal.  He's still on the roster, which he would not be were he taking an ORS (and therefore not enrolled at Cornell).  You know something that we don't?

I *think* the Ivy League rule was "four seasons in five years," which was changed to "four in six" for the COVID-cancelled year.  An ORS this year would be his sixth year, and I don't think he'd be allowed back for a "four in seven" even if he hadn't graduated by then.  My guess is that he wrestles for Cornell this year; if he doesn't, he would have to wrestle somewhere else.  Maybe he does graduate work at Lehigh?  🙂

(edit)

Here's a bit from Harvard's web site:

5-year eligibility clock – Student-athletes are permitted 5 years to complete 4 seasons of competition. The 5 year eligibility clock begins when a student-athlete first begins initial full-time enrollment. Your 5-year eligibility clock cannot be "paused" for any reason. There are specific circumstances that allow student-athletes to extend their 5-year clock to a 6th year. In order to extend the 5-year clock an NCAA waiver (or Ivy League for non-NCAA sports) must be filed. Student-athletes that were on a spring sport roster in spring 2020, a fall sport roster in fall 2020, and a winter sport roster in fall 2020 have all been granted an automatic 6th year on their clock.

Edited by BigRedFan
  • Fire 1

47 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

You say that as if it is a done deal.  He's still on the roster, which he would not be were he taking an ORS (and therefore not enrolled at Cornell).  You know something that we don't?

I *think* the Ivy League rule was "four seasons in five years," which was changed to "four in six" for the COVID-cancelled year.  An ORS this year would be his sixth year, and I don't think he'd be allowed back for a "four in seven" even if he hadn't graduated by then.  My guess is that he wrestles for Cornell this year; if he doesn't, he would have to wrestle somewhere else.  Maybe he does graduate work at Lehigh?  🙂

(edit)

Here's a bit from Harvard's web site:

I thought the ORS “stopped the clock.”  But yeah, I doubt Vito takes one this season.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Has Vito not said multiple times that he wasn't taking an Oly-shirt?

Why don't we believe the words out of his mouth?

I believe he meant it, and will prob not take one.

But man, look at that Oly team qualification schedule for anyone wrestling NCAAs, especially with the Pan Am qualifier at 57 Kg!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken