Olympic Qualification

nhs67

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

With Arujau in the season, do we see a shortened season for him where he is 50/50 Freestyle and Folkstyle, or does he trust that Fix (who would also be doing a shortened 50/50 season if he did it), Gilman, or Richards qualifies the weight for us?

I imagine for 65 KG we at least see a wrestleoff between Johnny D and Lee.  Retherford might want a bit longer to make 65 KG - if he even goes that route.  Guy is jacked at 70 KG.  I don't particularly want to see him go down.  That isn't the 149lber or 70 KG that we love.

I am not worried about qualifying 57 through Pan Ams. I am very worried about not qualifying 65 again. I hope Vito and Fix slowly descend throughout the season and wish they weren't wasting their time with folk in all honesty.

From a strategic perspective, it would make the most sense for no one to challenge Richards so that he has to make weight + the others have to make it one time less. But we all know Gilman is going to Gilman as all little Napoleons do and therefore submitted his challenge bid the moment the process was released.

I think Retherford is boned either way. He is a 70kg world champ and has fully grown into the weight as a true tweener and in an alternate world that is the Oly weight so guys like Lee, Yianni, and Dake are the tweeners. He would be like Green sucking down to 65 and methinks he gets beat up by Dake anytime they wrestle. Six weight classes is such a travesty.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a different 65 rep for Pan Ams and Paris. But I do hope it is Johnny because IMO he is the best international bet even though the domestic landscape is full parity.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I think Retherford is boned either way. He is a 70kg world champ and has fully grown into the weight as a true tweener and in an alternate world that is the Oly weight so guys like Lee, Yianni, and Dake are the tweeners. He would be like Green sucking down to 65 and methinks he gets beat up by Dake anytime they wrestle. Six weight classes is such a travesty.

Zain, Fix, and Green need to give Micic a call and ask what he did. All three must go down if they are to make the Olympics.

34 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I am not worried about qualifying 57 through Pan Ams. I am very worried about not qualifying 65 again. I hope Vito and Fix slowly descend throughout the season and wish they weren't wasting their time with folk in all honesty.

From a strategic perspective, it would make the most sense for no one to challenge Richards so that he has to make weight + the others have to make it one time less. But we all know Gilman is going to Gilman as all little Napoleons do and therefore submitted his challenge bid the moment the process was released.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a different 65 rep for Pan Ams and Paris. But I do hope it is Johnny because IMO he is the best international bet even though the domestic landscape is full parity.

Lee has my full faith and credit at 65kg Pan Ams.

31 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

RBY.  Darian Cruz.  Does Cuba have someone who is at least a little bit of a threat?

When is the last time RBY made 125? When is the last time Cruz beat anyone on the US ladder?

Threats? Sure, they are much more game than Destribats last time around. But concerned? No.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Going to be bonkers.  If Russia doesn't get allowed, do they allow one more to be added at last chance, or allocate the next placewinner from Worlds here?

Well if they take as long to decide for the Olympics as they did for worlds it is likely that they will take whoever is on site and ready to wrestle.  Could be like how Zadick got into the 2008 Olympics.  

The 6th place finisher at worlds may well have qualified the weight via a continental or world qualifier by the time this gets decided.  

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

When is the last time RBY made 125? When is the last time Cruz beat anyone on the US ladder?

Threats? Sure, they are much more game than Destribats last time around. But concerned? No.

Does Cruz need to beat anyone, or does he just need to place ahead of them?  And when was the last time Micic made 125?

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Does Cruz need to beat anyone, or does he just need to place ahead of them?  And when was the last time Micic made 125?

If the format is like that last time there is no true second place and they don't wrestle the final.  So only one is needed to mess things up.  I don't think they seed the brackets either and even if they do at least RBY will have 0 rankings points so I'm sure he wouldn't be seeded.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, fishbane said:

If the format is like that last time there is no true second place and they don't wrestle the final.  So only one is needed to mess things up.  I don't think they seed the brackets either and even if they do at least RBY will have 0 rankings points so I'm sure he wouldn't be seeded.

Covid craziness last time! Remember that? Probably the last athletic event that I watched for months.  It was considered huge when Gilman beat the Cuban.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

But we all know Gilman is going to Gilman as all little Napoleons do and therefore submitted his challenge bid the moment the process was released.

Did he really?

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

RBY.  Darian Cruz.  Does Cuba have someone who is at least a little bit of a threat?

I know Richards beat Gilman two nil... if Gilman challenges I still expect him to win.  I am not worried about Gilman against any of those guys and they better hope they are on the opposite side as him so they still have a chance.

Cuba always has someone tough there, if they even sponsor a squad.  They seem to be struggling with that for some reason.

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

Zain, Fix, and Green need to give Micic a call and ask what he did. All three must go down if they are to make the Olympics.

Micic wrestled out of his mind.  I don't agree on Zain.  I think he is right there and styles make matches.  If he goes 74 KG I do think Dake destroys him... but he could play spoiler to another foe or two along the way.  I wish Pantaleo would also have committed to 74 KG and done the same.

Fix is too short for 65 KG.  I am okay accepting that.  I honestly wish he'd Oly-shirt this season and enter midlands at 141 as well as the BF at 65 KG to test the waters. 

Same for Arujau, even though Arujau has already said he will not Oly-shirt.  Arujau has been a different animal since he has decided to focus on wrestling and not weight management.  The guy needs to not go 57 KG.

55 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Lee has my full faith and credit at 65kg Pan Ams.

Same.

40 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You contradict yourself there a bit, don't you?  If Destribats was less of a concern and they are more game, then they mus surely be more of a threat.  I don't think any are for Gilman at 57 KG.  A sucked down Fix and Arujau against RBY?  Not so sure.  Cruz just isn't dynamic enough to give either of them a match, nor RBY - imho.

14 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Tokyo....and the clock is still running

He never made 125... he made 125.7 (57 * 2.2046 = 125.6622).  In any case, he has been toying with 61/65 recently and decided two weeks ago he was going 57 KG again.

It is bonkers to me that he can be weighing 145lbs and decide two weeks out two years in a row and bring home a medal.

14 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

What's that supposed to mean? 

micic.jpg

He meant that despite him toying with going up to 65 KG he has been consistently going 57 KG at Worlds and Olympics.  His 'Tokyo' comment is wrong since he legitimately made 57 KG at Worlds last year (2022) as well as a few ranking tournaments (right?).

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Going to be bonkers.  If Russia doesn't get allowed, do they allow one more to be added at last chance, or allocate the next placewinner from Worlds here?

Actually there is a prescribed plan for this though the plan has this happening in June 2024, but maybe the IOC hasn't figured out the Russian/Belarussian situation by then. https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Paris-2024/Paris2024-QS-Wrestling.pdf

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 11.03.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 11.03.56 AM.png

Edited by fishbane
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Actually there is a prescribed plan for this though the plan has this happening in June 2024, but maybe the IOC hasn't figured out the Russian/Belarussian situation by then. https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Paris-2024/Paris2024-QS-Wrestling.pdf

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 11.03.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 11.03.56 AM.png

That sums that up, actually.  It is quite easy and simple - yet clear.

For example... let's say Johnny D goes to the Pan Ams qualifier and gets Destribats'd and Tevanyan loses to the Russo for 5th.  If Tevanyan qualifies anywhere else and the Russo's and Belarusian aren't allowed to attend... Lee(USA) would be up next.

25 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

It is bonkers to me that he can be weighing 145lbs and decide two weeks out two years in a row and bring home a medal.

He meant that despite him toying with going up to 65 KG he has been consistently going 57 KG at Worlds and Olympics.  His 'Tokyo' comment is wrong since he legitimately made 57 KG at Worlds last year (2022) as well as a few ranking tournaments (right?).

A conspiracy theorist might say that the last two Worlds were in Serbia.  

Are ranking series tournies given weight allowances?

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That sums that up, actually.  It is quite easy and simple - yet clear.

For example... let's say Johnny D goes to the Pan Ams qualifier and gets Destribats'd and Tevanyan loses to the Russo for 5th.  If Tevanyan qualifies anywhere else and the Russo's and Belarusian aren't allowed to attend... Lee(USA) would be up next.

Yes Lee was ranked 7th at world.  If Russia qualifies either as a 3rd or true 5th place finisher at Worlds and the 6th place finisher is otherwise qualified, then Lee would get the spot vacated by the Russian.  However if Mamedov finishes 6th and Russia qualifies through the European/World qualifier then the spot would go to the highest ranked finisher at the Euro/world qualifier that isn't otherwise qualified.  

All this slander against Illinois boy and leader of the Chicago Galaxy Wrestling Club, our 57kg world champion, Steven Micic needs to stop immediately. You really think that 32 other wrestlers plus their coaches plus UWW staff would let him not be on weight? If you honestly think that then you should also be adding to Willie's 9/11 conspiracy thread.

And Richards is going to beat Gilman. Again. Illinois rules.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Why would Vito be wasting his time with folk wrestling?

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He never made 125... he made 125.7 (57 * 2.2046 = 125.6622).  In any case, he has been toying with 61/65 recently and decided two weeks ago he was going 57 KG again.

Are you serious with the 125.7 argument?

Anyway, the only two times he has 'made' 57 since Tokyo are the two times the world championships were in Serbia.  Those just happen to be the only two medals he has in his career, which he just happened to wrestle 65 at the Europeans the same two seasons.  And as an aside.....Serbia dominates the greco field last year.....after not sniffing anywhere near the top ten in any year the last two quads.

I don't know....

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Are you serious with the 125.7 argument?

Anyway, the only two times he has 'made' 57 since Tokyo are the two times the world championships were in Serbia.  Those just happen to be the only two medals he has in his career, which he just happened to wrestle 65 at the Europeans the same two seasons.  And as an aside.....Serbia dominates the greco field last year.....after not sniffing anywhere near the top ten in any year the last two quads.

I don't know....

Huh?

I didn't mention 125 first.  Had you said 57 KG I wouldn't have said anything.

There is a difference whether you care to admit it or not.