Olympic Qualification

nhs67

So we need to qualify the Olympics still at 57 KG and 65 KG.

At 57 KG, Gillman, Fix, and Arujau could challenge for the right to face Richards to go to the Olympic qualifier.

At 65 KG, Diakomihalis, Retherford, Fix, and Arujau could challenge for the right to face Lee to go to the Olympic qualifier.

Am I missing anyone?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So we need to qualify the Olympics still at 57 KG and 65 KG.

At 57 KG, Gillman, Fix, and Arujau could challenge for the right to face Richards to go to the Olympic qualifier.

At 65 KG, Diakomihalis, Retherford, Fix, and Arujau could challenge for the right to face Lee to go to the Olympic qualifier.

Am I missing anyone?

57kg Spencer and Nicky also

65kg Alirez

6 minutes ago, Gus said:

57kg Spencer and Nicky also

65kg Alirez

None of them have brought home a senior medal... they are in criteria three... for them to be able to challenge Richards and/or Lee would have to vacate - which they won't.

Edited by nhs67

55 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

None of them have brought home a senior medal... they are in criteria three... for them to be able to challenge Richards and/or Lee would have to vacate - which they won't.

Sorry I thought you were listing who you thought could win the spot. You are correct that those are the guys that are currently qualified. There will be additional qualifiers that will be added as the season goes on.

https://www.themat.com/news/2023/september/15/2024-u-s-olympic-team-trials-qualifiers-as-of-september-15

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Sorry I thought you were listing who you thought could win the spot. You are correct that those are the guys that are currently qualified. There will be additional qualifiers that will be added as the season goes on.

https://www.themat.com/news/2023/september/15/2024-u-s-olympic-team-trials-qualifiers-as-of-september-15

He is referring to who can compete to qualify the weight for the country at Pan Ams rather than who can qualify for the Olympic trials.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, fishbane said:

We haven't qualified 97kg.  Snyder could still qualify the weight tomorrow with either  3rd or a true 5th place finish.   

Uguev and either Snyder or Saulaev wrestling for *true fifth hurts my brain. Worlds brackets are bonkers.

Edited by bnwtwg
sp
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Uguev and either Snyder or Saulaev wrestling for *true fifth hurts my brain. Worlds brackets are bonkers.

Well one of those didn't even happen as Sadulaev didn't even weigh in.

Curious where the Russo's qualify at now.  Do they swap over to Asia rather than Euros?

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Well one of those didn't even happen as Sadulaev didn't even weigh in.

Curious where the Russo's qualify at now.  Do they swap over to Asia rather than Euros?

Last Chance is going to be particularly nasty next year. Absolute dog fight at every weight.

i am an idiot on the internet

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Last Chance is going to be particularly nasty next year. Absolute dog fight at every weight.

With Arujau in the season, do we see a shortened season for him where he is 50/50 Freestyle and Folkstyle, or does he trust that Fix (who would also be doing a shortened 50/50 season if he did it), Gilman, or Richards qualifies the weight for us?

I imagine for 65 KG we at least see a wrestleoff between Johnny D and Lee.  Retherford might want a bit longer to make 65 KG - if he even goes that route.  Guy is jacked at 70 KG.  I don't particularly want to see him go down.  That isn't the 149lber or 70 KG that we love.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

65kg is going to be crazier.  Otoguro and Aliyev the finalists from the last Olympics failed to qualify the weight.   As did India, country of bronze medalist Punia.  Russia has a wrestler in the bronze match today, but as of now they also have not qualified the weight.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, fishbane said:

65kg is going to be crazier.  Otoguro and Aliyev the finalists from the last Olympics failed to qualify the weight.   As did India, country of bronze medalist Punia.  Russia has a wrestler in the bronze match today, but as of now they also have not qualified the weight.

Add in the country of last year's Silver medalist as well, if you are including past accomplishments.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Add in the country of last year's Silver medalist as well, if you are including past accomplishments.

Mongolia isn't qualified either.   They are top 5 in the current world rankings.  Amouzad, the top ranked wrestler, hasn't qualified the weight yet either.   

Also I think you are posting in the wrong thread now.

2 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Mongolia isn't qualified either.   They are top 5 in the current world rankings.  Amouzad, the top ranked wrestler, hasn't qualified the weight yet either.   

Also I think you are posting in the wrong thread now.

Going to be bonkers.  If Russia doesn't get allowed, do they allow one more to be added at last chance, or allocate the next placewinner from Worlds here?