Terry Brands applied for the UNC Head Coach job?

Jimmy Cinnabon

48 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

UNC should have went with a younger guy, but I guess they are shooting for that 10-15 range while violating the spirit of every rule in the book. 🙂

For those that don't think Terry Brands is HC material, how is he different from his brother?  I don't see it.

I’m confused by this post on multiple levels.

Are you referring to Koll with the “shooting for 10-15 range and violating  the spirit of every rule in the book”?

Are you calling the Brands “younger”?

Are you saying Tom Brands is or isn’t HC material?

53 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

For those that don't think Terry Brands is HC material, how is he different from his brother?  I don't see it.

How is Mike Stoops different from Bob?   Pretty sure they all overlaped at Iowa.  Ask some athletes or coaches there then if anything similar with Terry & Mike.   

43 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Terry Brands can absolutely coach wrestling.  That wasn't my point at all.  I think just about every staff in the country would love to have him on it.  There are countless guys that he has developed and made better.

The question is whether he's a guy you want leading your program from the top.  Answering directly to a boss that isn't his brother.  Dealing with boosters.  Administration.  Fundraising. Recruiting.  Media.  Marketing.  Navigating the NIL landscape.  

He could do well at a smaller program.  I just don't think the money will make sense.

Well, maybe he can move to North Dakota and try for Coach of the Jamestown Community College Jayhawks. Might make them a Powerhouse & then can apply to be an assistant Coach to Jim Zalesky as a University of Jamestown Jimmy. Both are Iowa dudes so maybe it would work?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Yes, no, no

Thanks, although #3 wasn’t really a yes or no question.

I have knocked Koll’s skirting of the Ivy League redshirt rule, and I guess by extension the “rules” of getting admitted to Cornell, but what other rules does he “violate the spirit” of?

12 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

Individual champs for the Iowa Hawkeyes since Tom and Terry Brands 2007-2023:

2007 - M. Perry.   2008 - M. Perry.  2010 - M. McDonough, J. Borchel.  2012 - M. McDonough. 2013 - D. St John.  2014 - T Ramos.  2017 - C. Clark.  2018 - S. Lee.  2019 - S. Lee.  2021 - S. Lee.  

2009, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2020 (no tournament), 2022, 2023. - No individual champions

11 individual champions in 16 years (2020 no tournament).  6 years with 0 individual champions.

Top recruits and have these results?  Don't think he'll be a Head Coach or assistant anywhere but Iowa. 

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I feel as if Wkn already did this a year or two ago?

It isn't even close.  They're the top Bridesmaid.

I dug this up. It covers 2009 - 2022. if I update it to include 2023 then Iowa further separates itself from the non-PSU others.

image.thumb.png.dce2383e485061a0cf9eadcad668afb5.png

The line separating dark green from light green is the median placement (also see table below). The dots represent the individual years. The greens combined are the middle two quartiles. The whiskers are the lesser of 1.5x the inter-quartile range and the most extreme value.

image.png.64b183dc49ca6956c84fd2530a4ce6cf.png

And on that note, I bow out for the week (at least from posting data) as I soon board my flight to Belgrade.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Well, maybe he can move to North Dakota and try for Coach of the Jamestown Community College Jayhawks. Might make them a Powerhouse & then can apply to be an assistant Coach to Jim Zalesky as a University of Jamestown Jimmy. Both are Iowa dudes so maybe it would work?

How is Zalesky doing out there?

45 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

UNC should have went with a younger guy, but I guess they are shooting for that 10-15 range while violating the spirit of every rule in the book. 🙂

Koll will be there until he retires.  By that time he will have his predecessor already in place and UNC will be right in the thick of Tier 1 in the ACC (or B1G if they are there then - which I think they will be... which means Tier 2 there behind Penn State).

Terry just hasn't run a top tier program as the CEO like Tom does and has been doing.  He left the UTC job to be Tom's assistant at VTech.  He has been the primary guy to focus on development, but he has never been a CEO like Tom, Koll, or Cael (BLESSED BE HIM AND ALL THAT IS HIS).

I fully believe if he gets a smaller program (I am thinking a smaller B1G, B12, or ACC) he would vastly improve it very quickly.  Recruits would follow to be with him and in his first class to be 'those guys' that changed the program.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Thanks, although #3 wasn’t really a yes or no question.

I have knocked Koll’s skirting of the Ivy League redshirt rule, and I guess by extension the “rules” of getting admitted to Cornell, but what other rules does he “violate the spirit” of?

RS/GS, enrolling kids in a community college at less than 12 credits.

37 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Koll will be there until he retires.  By that time he will have his predecessor already in place and UNC will be right in the thick of Tier 1 in the ACC (or B1G if they are there then - which I think they will be... which means Tier 2 there behind Penn State).

Terry just hasn't run a top tier program as the CEO like Tom does and has been doing.  He left the UTC job to be Tom's assistant at VTech.  He has been the primary guy to focus on development, but he has never been a CEO like Tom, Koll, or Cael (BLESSED BE HIM AND ALL THAT IS HIS).

I fully believe if he gets a smaller program (I am thinking a smaller B1G, B12, or ACC) he would vastly improve it very quickly.  Recruits would follow to be with him and in his first class to be 'those guys' that changed the program.

In the thick of Tier 1 ACC.  Shoot for the moon dude!

49 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Agree with what you’ve said here but pretty sure Terry was never on staff at Va Tech. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Good call. It'll be interesting to see how conference realignment shakes things up with UNC and the ACC in the future. As for Terry, I think he'd be fine at a bigger or smaller program as long as it's not a place where the AD would keep him on a short leash. He will be successful if he has the space to do things his way and figure stuff out without a ton of guardrails, at least initially.