Twitter is better

jross

2 minutes ago, headshuck said:

The article ends with a makeup in what, a 2 day disagreement l?!?

So the suppression of the speech by private entity Twitter (which legally I have no problem with though morally I would quibble with) is ok and good, or overlooked because it MAY have gone back to "normal"?  Isn't Elon's whole thing "free speech absolutism"?  Because....well this only the latest example of it not actually being his thing, only speech that he agrees with and/or serves his financial interests.

Also, I see no evidence of a make up, Taibbi's most recent comment as to attempt to disprove Elon's claim that he is an employee of Substack.

People on here..."there's nothing wrong with Twitter, they should be able to regulate what is posted on their site, they are a private company."  Fast forward, same people, "OMG, I can't believe Elon is regulating what is posted on Twitter...it is so wrong!  He is just silencing people with opposing opinions."   Aaandd...HYPOCRISY at its finest!!

44 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

People on here..."there's nothing wrong with Twitter, they should be able to regulate what is posted on their site, they are a private company."  Fast forward, same people, "OMG, I can't believe Elon is regulating what is posted on Twitter...it is so wrong!  He is just silencing people with opposing opinions."   Aaandd...HYPOCRISY at its finest!!

I don't care if he's doing whatever he wants with his site.  I just think it's hilarious given that his fans (and he) were screaming about the previous regime doing the same thing.  I agree:  it's a private company, he is the owner, he can set the terms of use.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I don't care if he's doing whatever he wants with his site.  I just think it's hilarious given that his fans (and he) were screaming about the previous regime doing the same thing.  I agree:  it's a private company, he is the owner, he can set the terms of use.

I'm with ya...twitter can do whatever the heck they want.  And people on both sides of this issue speak out of both sides of their mouth.

My only beef in relation to this is I think the gubment should stay out of trying to control the speech on social media platforms...doesn't matter what side of the isle the gubment happens to be on at the time either.

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

I'm with ya...twitter can do whatever the heck they want.  And people on both sides of this issue speak out of both sides of their mouth.

My only beef in relation to this is I think the gubment should stay out of trying to control the speech on social media platforms...doesn't matter what side of the isle the gubment happens to be on at the time either.

Should the gubment be given free reign to post anything it wants,  either directly or indirectly?  I ask that because the gubment is influential enough to create and propagate a narrative that controls speech serving its own selfish interest, independent of the people it serves.

14 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Should the gubment be given free reign to post anything it wants,  either directly or indirectly?  I ask that because the gubment is influential enough to create and propagate a narrative that controls speech serving its own selfish interest, independent of the people it serves.

I am not sure...that is tricky...but I agree with you 100% that the gumbent does influence and propagate a narrative.

BBC interviewer asks Musk what about all the hate.   Musk asks for an example.   None was given.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/excruciating-moment-elon-musk-turns-tables-on-bbc-interviewer-over-hate-tweets/ar-AA19Mmz1

The video of the exchange is on that site.   Hilarious.   The reporter/interviewer could not  change topics fast enough because of his gotcha mentality.

mspart

17 hours ago, mspart said:

BBC interviewer asks Musk what about all the hate.   Musk asks for an example.   None was given.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/excruciating-moment-elon-musk-turns-tables-on-bbc-interviewer-over-hate-tweets/ar-AA19Mmz1

The video of the exchange is on that site.   Hilarious.   The reporter/interviewer could not  change topics fast enough because of his gotcha mentality.

mspart

Looks like the BBC got the twitter designation they wanted, Publicly Funded.  Twitter assigned designation  was 'Government Funded Media'.  And it only cost them their integrity in this interview!

21 minutes ago, mspart said:

Musk stuffed that BBC interviewer on a number of things.   The guy was not prepared to back up his questions with relevant facts and Musk skewered him.

mspart

Interviewer is highly unprofessional.  Why would he ask that question if he isn't aware of hate speech on Twitter?

This is a transcript of the first part of the interview.   The BBC guy lied about his experience and Musk throws it all over him.  

Interviewer (00:00:00😞

In Sachs that used to be in content moderation. And we’ve spoken to people very recently who were involved in moderation. And they just say there’s not enough people to police this stuff. Particularly around hate speech in the company. Is that something that you-

Elon Musk (00:00:15😞

What hate speech are you talking about? I mean, you use Twitter?

Interviewer (00:00:17😞

Right.

Elon Musk (00:00:18😞

Do you see a rise in hate speech? Just your personal anecdote, do you? I don’t.

Interviewer (00:00:23😞

Personally, my For You, I would see I get more of that kind of content. Yeah. Personally. But I’m not going to talk for the rest of Twitter.

Elon Musk (00:00:33😞

You see more hate speech personally?

Interviewer (00:00:35😞

I would say see more hateful content in that.

Elon Musk (00:00:38😞

Content you don’t like, or hateful. Describe a hateful thing?

Interviewer (00:00:42😞

Yeah, I mean just content that will solicit a reaction. Something that may include something that is slightly racist or slightly sexist. Those kinds of things.

Elon Musk (00:00:54😞

So you think if it’s something is slightly sexist it should be banned?

Interviewer (00:00:57😞

No, I’m not saying anything. I’m saying-

Elon Musk (00:01:00😞

I’m just curious. I’m trying to understand what you mean by “hateful content.” And I’m asking for specific examples. And you just said that if something is slightly sexist, that’s hateful content. Does that mean that it should be banned?

Interviewer (00:01:14😞

Well, you’ve asked me whether my feed, whether it’s got less or more. I’d say it’s got slightly more.

Elon Musk (00:01:20😞

That’s why I’m asking for examples. Can you name one example?

Interviewer (00:01:23😞

I honestly don’t…

Elon Musk (00:01:24😞

You can’t name a single example?

Interviewer (00:01:28😞

I’ll tell you why. Because I don’t actually use that For You feed anymore. Because I just don’t particularly like it. Actually a lot of people are quite similar. I only look at my following.

Elon Musk (00:01:36😞

You said you’ve seen more hateful content, but you can’t name a single example. Not even one.

Interviewer (00:01:41😞

I’m not sure I’ve used that feed for the last three or four weeks. And I honestly couldn’t-

Elon Musk (00:01:44😞

Then how could you see the hateful content?

Interviewer (00:01:46😞

Because I’ve been using it. I’ve been using Twitter since you’ve taken it over for the last six months.

Elon Musk (00:01:50😞

Then you must have at some point seen the For You hateful content. I’m asking for one example.

Interviewer (00:01:54😞

Right.

Elon Musk (00:01:55😞

And you can’t give a single one.

Interviewer (00:01:56😞

And I’m saying-

Elon Musk (00:01:57😞

Then I say, sir, that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Interviewer (00:02:00😞

Really?

Elon Musk (00:02:00😞

Yes. Because you can’t give a single example of hateful content. Not even one tweet. And yet you claimed that the hateful content was high. That’s false.

Interviewer (00:02:12😞

No. What I claimed-

Elon Musk (00:02:13😞

You just lied.

Interviewer (00:02:13😞

No, no. What I claimed was there are many organizations that say that that kind of information is on the rise. Now whether it has on my feed or not…

Elon Musk (00:02:21😞

Give me one example.

Interviewer (00:02:22😞

I mean, right.

Elon Musk (00:02:22😞

You literally can’t give me one.

Interviewer (00:02:24😞

I think it’s something like the Strategic Dialogue Institute in the UK. They will say that. So they-

Elon Musk (00:02:30😞

People will say all sorts of nonsense. I’m literally asking for a single example and you can’t name one.

Interviewer (00:02:34😞

Right. And as I’ve already said, I don’t use that feed. But let’s-

Elon Musk (00:02:37😞

Then how did you know? You literally said-

Interviewer (00:02:38😞

I don’t think this is getting anywhere.

Elon Musk (00:02:39😞

You literally said you experienced more hateful content and then couldn’t name a single example.

Interviewer (00:02:43😞

Right. And as I said-

Elon Musk (00:02:44😞

That’s absurd.

Interviewer (00:02:46😞

I haven’t actually looked at that feed.

Elon Musk (00:02:48😞

Then how would you know if there’s hateful content?

Interviewer (00:02:49😞

Because I’m saying that’s what I saw a few weeks ago. I can’t give you an exact example. Let’s move on. We only have a certain amount of time. Covid misinformation.

Elon Musk (00:02:58😞

Amazing.

mspart

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Interviewer is highly unprofessional.  Why would he ask that question if he isn't aware of hate speech on Twitter?

Yes he was unprofessional.   He said he had actual experience with this.   Musk says name an example.   The guy says well, I haven't been on Twitter for 2 weeks.   Other people are the ones saying there is a rise in hate speech he says.   

So yeah, he's a liar and unprofessional. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

Here is another segment of the interview.   BBC guy asks about Twitter changing Covid rules and Musk fires back about BBC doing the same.   The guy had no answer.   If you listen there is dead space where he has no response.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/elon-musk-interview-with-the-bbc-4-11-23-transcript

Interviewer (00:03:00😞

You’ve changed the Covid misinformation rules.

Elon Musk (00:03:03😞

Has BBC changed the Covid misinformation?

Interviewer (00:03:06😞

The BBC does not set the rules on Twitter. So I’m asking you.

Elon Musk (00:03:09😞

No, I’m talking about the BBC’s misinformation about Covid.

Interviewer (00:03:15😞

I’m literally asking you about… You changed the labels, the Covid misinformation labels. There used to be a policy and then it disappears. Why do that?

Elon Musk (00:03:26😞

Well, Covid is no longer an issue. Does the BBC hold itself at all responsible for misinformation regarding masking and side effects of vaccinations, and not reporting on that at all?

(00:03:49😞

And what about the fact that the BBC was put under pressure by the British government to change its editorial policy? Are you aware of that?

Interviewer (00:03:56😞

This is not an interview about the BBC.

Elon Musk (00:03:59😞

Oh, you thought it wasn’t?

Interviewer (00:04:02😞

I see now why you’ve done Twitter Spaces. I am not a representative of the BBC’s editorial policy. I want to make that clear. Let’s talk about something else-

Elon Musk (00:04:08😞

I’m interviewing you too.

Interviewer (00:04:11😞

All right, let’s talk about something else.

Elon Musk (00:04:12😞

You weren’t expecting that.

Truly classic!!  The BBC guy did not want to talk about what he thought he wanted to talk about after Musk repeatedly turned the tables on the guy.  Is this what Universities are spewing out now?   People that have no understanding of what they are talking about?

mspart

• 3 weeks later...