Years where the best dual team DIDN'T win NCAAs?

Jimmy Cinnabon

I think a dual meet championship would bring an exciting component because it provides opportunities for more upsets.  Basketball March Madness is exciting because there is an opportunity for upsets.  I do not care if the "best team" wins every year.  I would love to see upsets and drama.  The 15th-ranked wrestler pins the number 1-ranked wrestler and all of a sudden the 20th-ranked dual team has a chance to beat the 3rd-ranked dual team.  I also believe some coaches in power do not want a dual meet championship for the very same reason.

1 hour ago, Preceptor said:

I think a dual meet championship would bring an exciting component because it provides opportunities for more upsets.  Basketball March Madness is exciting because there is an opportunity for upsets.  I do not care if the "best team" wins every year.  I would love to see upsets and drama.  The 15th-ranked wrestler pins the number 1-ranked wrestler and all of a sudden the 20th-ranked dual team has a chance to beat the 3rd-ranked dual team.  I also believe some coaches in power do not want a dual meet championship for the very same reason.

It would be cool, but how often does the 15th ranked wrestler pin the the 1st ranked wrestler?

2014 PSU won NCAAs with 109.5 team points.  Minnesota finished 2nd with 104 team points.  In the regular season MN beat PSU 18-17, which was PSU's only dual loss of the season.  MN lost an earlier dual 19-14 to Michigan.  Michigan had 4 dual losses that year and MN was missing Zilverberg and a Dardaness for that dual. 

MN was likely the best dual team.  Both teams were essentially full strength for that dual.  PSU wrestled Beitz instead of English at 149 and MN wrestled Kingsley instead of Brancale.  English for Bietz might seem like it could have made a difference because English placed at NCAAs that year but Bietz lost to Dardaness is OT and Dardaness beat English a few weeks later at Big Tens.  The real difference making in the dual was Ness pinning Alton.

At Big Tens PSU won with 140.5 and MN was 3rd with 118.5.  Similarly at the Scuffle PSU won with 189 and MN was 3rd with 161.

#1 Penn State 17, #3 Minnesota 18
February 9, 2014 - Minneapolis, Minn.

125: #2 Nico Megaludis PSU maj. dec. Jordan Kingsley MINN, 19-5 -- 4-0
133: #8 David Thorn MINN dec. #16 Jimmy Gulibon PSU, 2-0 -- 4-3
141: #2 Zain Retherford PSU dec. #6 Chris Dardanes MINN, 4-0 -- 7-3
149: #3 Nick Dardanes MINN dec. (SV2) Zack Beitz PSU, 6-4 (SV2) -- 7-6
157: #8 Dylan Ness MINN pinned #4 Dylan Alton PSU, WBF (5:57) -- 7-12
165: #1 David Taylor PSU maj. dec. Danny Zilverberg MINN, 13-3 -- 11-12
174: #6 Logan Storley MINN dec. #3 Matt Brown PSU, 8-4 -- 11-15
184: #2 Ed Ruth PSU dec. #8 Kevin Steinhaus MINN, 7-1 -- 14-15
197: #5 Morgan McIntosh PSU dec. #1 Scott Schiller MINN, 8-4 -- 17-15
285: #5 Tony Nelson MINN dec. Jon Gingrich PSU, 6-0 -- 17-18