Anthony Cassar: "Cael keeps you grounded in your faith"

12 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Penn State is not a state school and I might not be religious myself but I don't see any harm in what Cael is doing in terms of connecting with his wrestlers through "faith" even if it seems foreign to me

Certainly, but how would we deal with tu quoque responses? Would it be ok if a coach vocally/publically supported those athletes who followed the prophet Nas and his dictum "Life's a bitch and then you die"? You know, we are all aleays already dead? This faith also emphasizes just how insignificant wrestling is in the grand scheme of things 

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Somebody is gonna have to explain this to me like I'm 5.  How can Penn State not be a state school when they charge 2x the tuition to out of state students?  It is in their name.  They proclaim themselves land grant.  What gives?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_System_of_Higher_Education

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

16 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Now I guess in theory that could have more occurred while Cassar was part of NLWC and not PSU, but seems odd for a coach at a state school.

Good interview overall though.   This quote is around 29:30.

What's odd about it?  It's the athlete's faith, not Cael's.  It could be faith in a deity, deities or oneself...

Faith =/= religion

16 hours ago, Gus said:

Or it could just be that Cael creates an environment that prioritizes spiritual/mental health and not being overly obsessed with the results. Perhaps he shows the athletes, with his own actions and faith, that wrestling is something they do - not who they are. It probably is very freeing for the athletes to compete and not have their whole identity teetering on whether they win or lose. 

Exactly.  Here is a clip of Cael showing that identity is not at all tied to results on the mat.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5848636-furious-cael-sanderson-throws-cube-towel-and-chair-and-is-ejected-from-world-team-trials

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

@VakAttack is our resident lawyer so he would probably know better but from my understanding no he cannot promote Jesus or Joseph Smith

Loophole: Joseph Smith was just a man. But also a prophet. But also no false prophets. 🤯

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Loophole: Joseph Smith was just a man. But also a prophet. But also no false prophets. 🤯

Joseph Smith is not a prophet.  Technically he's "Prophet Related".  See below for clarification

The designation establishes the proohet as an "instrumentality of the Lord Jesus Christ"[1] and provides each Prophet with annual, non-preferred[2] financial appropriations in exchange offering spiritual discounts to parishoners who are residents of the planet earth and a minority state-representation on each churches board of trustees. Legally, the Prophet remains separate and a private entity operating under their own charters, governed by independent boards of councils and with assets under their own ownership and control, thereby retaining much of the freedom and individuality of private congregations both administratively and spiritually."

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Joseph Smith is not a prophet.  Technically he's "Prophet Related".  See below for clarification

The designation establishes the proohet as an "instrumentality of the Lord Jesus Christ"[1] and provides each Prophet with annual, non-preferred[2] financial appropriations in exchange offering spiritual discounts to parishoners who are residents of the planet earth and a minority state-representation on each churches board of trustees. Legally, the Prophet remains separate and a private entity operating under their own charters, governed by independent boards of councils and with assets under their own ownership and control, thereby retaining much of the freedom and individuality of private congregations both administratively and spiritually."

The Commonwealth System of Prophethood

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

29 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

May I refer you to the official website of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints with the article "Joseph Smith saw the Prophet Saw God and Jesus in First Vision"

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints today numbers more than 14 million. Latter-day Saints revere Joseph Smith as a prophet, just as they revere biblical prophets such as Moses and Isaiah."

So luckily you and I agree that it's a poophole loophole. No false commonwealth prophets!

13 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

May I refer you to the official website of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints with the article "Joseph Smith saw the Prophet Saw God and Jesus in First Vision"

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints today numbers more than 14 million. Latter-day Saints revere Joseph Smith as a prophet, just as they revere biblical prophets such as Moses and Isaiah."

So luckily you and I agree that it's a poophole loophole. No false commonwealth prophets!

I am not familiar with the official stance of the Latter-day Saints.  I'm only referencing what was agreed upon at the Council of Porta John New King James

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Exactly.  Here is a clip of Cael showing that identity is not at all tied to results on the mat.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5848636-furious-cael-sanderson-throws-cube-towel-and-chair-and-is-ejected-from-world-team-trials

Cael was demonstrating what has been preached in the gospel

Matthew 21:12-13

Jesus at the Temple

12 Jesus entered the temple mats and drove out all who were scoring and reffing there. He overturned the tables of the scorers table and the benches of those selling match points. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of wrestling,’[a] but you are making it ‘a den of boxing promoters.’[b]

• Fire 2

Mormon church or not, those who believe in whatever faith are OK to do so. Would be nice if they quit trying to shove it on the rest of us. While they are thanking God for helping them find  their car keys somehow they miss the thousands he fails to rescue from rapists, murderers, starvation and so much else.

Their "entitlement" religion - Mormons especially with more than $125 Billion in the bank - is not really helping anyone.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

You can’t be posting this with a straight face as all but SVN have done interviews sounding like Joel Osteen

Yeah I thought Bartlett did, as well as Taylor and Nolf.  I don't think I've ever seen a SVN interview, but I don't recall Cenzo talking about God all that much.   Ruth (and Taylor) graduated almost 10 years ago, so seems odd that those were the best examples they could come up with.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I thought Bartlett did, as well as Taylor and Nolf.  I don't think I've ever seen a SVN interview, but I don't recall Cenzo talking about God all that much.   Ruth (and Taylor) graduated almost 10 years ago, so seems odd that those were the best examples they could come up with.

Ruth quietly and routinely prayed to the Porcelain God on weekend evenings until he met his maker. It was a revival convention held in the parking lot of a local fine dining restaurant and when they found him in a glassy eyed trance repeating himself in ancient tongues

"Yo quiero Taco Bell. Live Más Nittany Lions"

You all realize Cael is Mormon, right? And almost all of the wrestlers he coached are an entirely different religion than he is (only exception I can think of is Matt Brown). So he is clearly not promoting his own religion. Gus nailed it… he simply creates that atmosphere for his athletes and it clearly helps to believe in something bigger than yourself.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

You all realize Cael is Mormon, right? And almost all of the wrestlers he coached are an entirely different religion than he is (only exception I can think of is Matt Brown). So he is clearly not promoting his own religion. Gus nailed it… he simply creates that atmosphere for his athletes and it clearly helps to believe in something bigger than yourself.

Never met a wrestler who didn't wish that with the strength of the blood of Christ Cael would wrestle the Mohammed out of Ali

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Allow me to clarify:

Plenty of guys who didn’t outwardly and regularly express their faith in various forms of media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahh ... yeah that makes sense