Iowa's lineup for 2023-24

peanut

22 hours ago, Idaho said:

Wonder if the bans will get lightened

It is a really strange situation.  It doesn't seem like the NCAA wanted this can of worms opened.  It also is odd in that it is only one state, so the results are very disproportionate.  The NCAA definitely likely wants to send a clear message about gambling, but the disproportionate location of affected schools seems to put a wrench in things.  I fully understand if the NCAA drops the hammer and is very harsh; at the same time I would not be surprised by a bit of leniency.

Is it true that Arizona was going to do a similar probe, but dropped it when things started getting ugly in Iowa?

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I would lean towards your being correct, although I do not actually know.

If they can get an appeal so it isn't season-long, maybe?

It is bullshit that Fix can test positive for PEDs amd no sort of ethics infraction is enforced so he can Oly-shirt but Cassioppi and crew can't bet on their own school?

Fix was still suspended by the NCAA during the following season but could come back for the postseason. I do agree that his suspension should have been at least as long as the more harsh gambling suspensions.

Edited by 1032004

10 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Damian Covington was a state champ from Overbrook HS in NJ , same hs as Ron dayne , he beat  at the time immortal Pat Lynch who was 2x returning State champ who was on a 99 match win streak ( lynch was a multiple time AA for ASU), beat him twice in 2 weeks then played football at nc state but his JR year Sylvester Terkay was injured for nc state and the coach asked Covington to filled in and in 3 matches he went 3-0 all while practicing for a bowl game, he then was a 3rd rd pick for the bills, having 3 good years before tragically being murdered in a robbery at his cousins apartment back in NJ , he was home to rehab a knee injury , guys is a south jersey legend …

also Josh hokit recently from Fresno state was on the 49ers for a bit 

Yes Hokit was who I brought up initially but it was pointed out that he never actually played in a regular season game. I wouldn’t really count Covington as a D1 wrestler if he only wrestled in three matches. I guess my point is that Hokit’s NFL career is probably similar to most of the guys that were on both wrestling and football teams and got a taste of the NFL back in the day. Making the NFL is hard

33 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Fix was still suspended by the NCAA during the following season but could come back for the postseason. I do agree that his suspension should have been at least as long as the more harsh gambling suspensions.

Pretty sure Fix suspension was International/US Anti Doping for one year not NCAA. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

He wasn't suspended by the NCAA or at least I don't remember reading anything about that.  Pretty sure USAW has no authority towards NCAA and recall many folks being rather pissed off about it.

Can you find an article on it?

I googled "Daton Fix suspension" and these were the matches.  None are or were related to NCAA...

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-daton-fixs-usada-suspension/

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/cowboys/2020/09/08/osu-wrestling-daton-fix-receives-one-year-sanction-for-positive-test-prohibited-substance-per-report/60383484007/

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/pokes-gone-pro/2020/9/8/21427760/oklahoma-state-wrestling-daton-fix-one-year-suspension-usada-failed-anti-doping-test-ostarine

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6745189-usada-issues-daton-fix-one-year-suspension-for-failed-anti-doping-test

Although this one does specify what you had said as well...

So I am curious as to how/where the separation is or is not.

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/ready-to-rumble-daton-fix-returns-from-suspension/article_a25ce6dc-6c2a-11eb-89dd-4f1ad82e598c.html

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

30 minutes ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure Fix suspension was International/US Anti Doping for one year not NCAA. 

Correct, it was one calendar year. The NCAA honored the suspension so he was suspended the remainder of his Oly Redshirt year and then could come back in Jan or Feb following his International suspension ending. The difference is that the NCAA did not suspend him for 1 wrestling season but rather 1 calendar year (in accordance with his international suspension). It worked out well for Daton. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Gus said:

Correct, it was one calendar year. The NCAA honored the suspension so he was suspended the remainder of his Oly Redshirt year and then could come back in Jan or Feb following his International suspension ending. The difference is that the NCAA did not suspend him for 1 wrestling season but rather 1 calendar year (in accordance with his international suspension). It worked out well for Daton. 

Also pretty sure he wasn't wrestling for OSU that year, believe Witcraft was in the lineup at 133 before the fridge event.

Edited by ionel

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He wasn't suspended by the NCAA or at least I don't remember reading anything about that.  Pretty sure USAW has no authority towards NCAA and recall many folks being rather pissed off about it.

Which is still weird because in the case of Zahid the NCAA listened to WADA after the hot test and subsequent vacated rankings win in Rome. It doesn't matter, I just wanted to complain about it a few years later.

i am an idiot on the internet

I think @1032004 is correct.  They did like Zahid (as @bnwtwgis saying).  They respected the suspension, there just isn't or wasn't much smoke on that for whatever reason(s)?  I assume it was because he was already on Oly-shirt whereas Zahid was not.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I do agree that his suspension should have been at least as long as the more harsh gambling suspensions.

Also Fix admitted drinking an unknown substance from the fridge, the committee found that was consistent with the small level found in the test. Fix agreed to accept one year suspension, he could've fought it.  The Iowa wrestlers were under NCAA rules and at least some tried to hide or destroy evidence.  Vastly different situation and appears the NCAA is being consistent with same type gambling violations in other sports.  

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

Also Fix admitted drinking an unknown substance from the fridge, the committee found that was consistent with the small level found in the test. Fix agreed to accept one year suspension, he could've fought it.  The Iowa wrestlers were under NCAA rules and at least some tried to hide or destroy evidence.  Vastly different situation and appears the NCAA is being consistent with same type gambling violations in other sports.  

They tried to destroy evidence?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I think @1032004 is correct.  They did like Zahid (as @bnwtwgis saying).  They respected the suspension, there just isn't or wasn't much smoke on that for whatever reason(s)?  I assume it was because he was already on Oly-shirt whereas Zahid was not.

Yeah I guess that's where the difference is with the Iowa guys then if they can't ORS out of it, since it seems Fix's ORS was essentially counted as part of his suspension.

Guys.

Don't tell Minnow.

Unless Iowa does exactly as I say with their lineup... Rutgers could beat them in a dual.

Regardless of what weight Ayala and Teske end up going (125/133), Rutgers could conceivably win both of those.

Iowa is winning 141 with Woods.  Could be a major.

6-4 Rutgers.

I think VV is better than Butler... but he decked Pantaleo.  He could deck VV as well.

12-4 Rutgers.

Franek will get a decision at 157.

12-7 at the break in flavor of Rutgers.

165 is Caliendo is going to bonus White.  White is just coming up from 149.

12-11

174 - Turley could beat Swafford.

15-11

Soldano could pin whomever they throw at 184.

21-11

Poznanski via Dec.

24-11

Slav over Hill

27-11

They could fckn do it.

Will they listen to me?

125 Teske and 133 Ayala matches up against Rutgers better (styles).  VV could win.  Kennedy comes back at 165 and also bonus victories, puts Iowa at 20-0 after 165.  Swafford destroys Turley due to his bromance with Kennedy and the momentum.  24-0.  Caliendo methodically picks apart Soldano and wins via Maj.  28-0.  Franklin beats Poz. 31-0.  Steveson comes in and techfalls Slav.  36-0.

They need to listen to me.

Also, don't tell Minnow.

• Fire 1

Given how irrelevant the Sqwawkers are going to be this year you'd think I'd be surprised that three pages of "discussion" has been devoted to them,  but,  of course,  I'm not surprised. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 8/29/2023 at 6:08 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It is a really strange situation.  It doesn't seem like the NCAA wanted this can of worms opened.  It also is odd in that it is only one state, so the results are very disproportionate.  The NCAA definitely likely wants to send a clear message about gambling, but the disproportionate location of affected schools seems to put a wrench in things.  I fully understand if the NCAA drops the hammer and is very harsh; at the same time I would not be surprised by a bit of leniency.

Is it true that Arizona was going to do a similar probe, but dropped it when things started getting ugly in Iowa?

I agree... it is interesting.

I have no clue about Arizona. One thing I am pretty confident of...if every state did it, it would make for an interesting year of sports. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

46 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Given how irrelevant the Sqwawkers are going to be this year you'd think I'd be surprised that three pages of "discussion" has been devoted to them,  but,  of course,  I'm not surprised. 

They actually won't be irrelevant insofar as duals go.  Especially towards the end of the season.

If the Brands bros listen to me they could get very creative with their lineup and come away with ten NQs.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

They actually won't be irrelevant insofar as duals go.  Especially towards the end of the season.

If the Brands bros listen to me they could get very creative with their lineup and come away with ten NQs.

I really only follow UNI, so you'd know more than I would. 

I was just basing it on Jimmy saying that they weren't even in the top 8 in ranking.

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Guys.

Don't tell Minnow.

Unless Iowa does exactly as I say with their lineup... Rutgers could beat them in a dual.

Regardless of what weight Ayala and Teske end up going (125/133), Rutgers could conceivably win both of those.

Iowa is winning 141 with Woods.  Could be a major.

6-4 Rutgers.

I think VV is better than Butler... but he decked Pantaleo.  He could deck VV as well.

12-4 Rutgers.

Franek will get a decision at 157.

12-7 at the break in flavor of Rutgers.

165 is Caliendo is going to bonus White.  White is just coming up from 149.

12-11

174 - Turley could beat Swafford.

15-11

Soldano could pin whomever they throw at 184.

21-11

Poznanski via Dec.

24-11

Slav over Hill

27-11

They could fckn do it.

Will they listen to me?

125 Teske and 133 Ayala matches up against Rutgers better (styles).  VV could win.  Kennedy comes back at 165 and also bonus victories, puts Iowa at 20-0 after 165.  Swafford destroys Turley due to his bromance with Kennedy and the momentum.  24-0.  Caliendo methodically picks apart Soldano and wins via Maj.  28-0.  Franklin beats Poz. 31-0.  Steveson comes in and techfalls Slav.  36-0.

They need to listen to me.

Also, don't tell Minnow.

Rutgers doesn't have any major weaknesses, a good balance of youth of vets, locals and guys from all over.  Will be fun to watch this year

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Rutgers doesn't have any major weaknesses, a good balance of youth of vets, locals and guys from all over.  Will be fun to watch this year

Don't tell Minnow.