Getting a loaf of bread at Luis Vuitton.

Threadkilla

7 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Oh well. We can always hope. Well I'm off to Ohio  to say a loving good bye to my 92 year old mother . She hasn't been well for some time .Hospice was started on Monday. She has a had good life. 

I'm sorry to hear that, lost my Dad 2 years ago

• Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

2 hours ago, Paul158 said:

Oh well. We can always hope. Well I'm off to Ohio  to say a loving good bye to my 92 year old mother . She hasn't been well for some time .Hospice was started on Monday. She has a had good life. 

I will be praying for you and your family. Pray that God's grace & peace is manifested on you all. God bless

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 KJV "9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Paul158 said:

Sorry to hear that, all the best for you and all your family.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Le duke said:

Now do states.

Helpful hint: The murder rate is higher in red states. The top 3 and 7 of the top 10 voted strongly R in 2020.

Unfortunately, this is not an R vs. D issue. It’s most strongly correlated to poverty, which knows no political affiliation. After that, education, which is perhaps why a city like Boston has such a low murder rate.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lol. why states? oh b/c the data will be twisted to show what you want it to show.

the cities are all run by democratic mayors that are continually pushing progressive policies to not enforce laws, punish or prosecute. which is the genesis of this very topic. 

• Fire 2

TBD

4 hours ago, Paul158 said:

Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family brother!

And read this article that counters with the obvious... https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-justice/report/the-blue-city-murder-problem

The authors of that article conveniently ignore the fact that violence is closely tied to poverty and education. And, as it turns out, state policies in red states result in greater poverty and thus, greater overall murder rates.

It’s also hilarious that they list NYC and Alvin Bragg as a “Soros funded prosecutor” as if NYC has a murder problem. Per the chart that they provided, NYC is sitting at 2.2 per 100,000, which is about a quarter of the national average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

well ackshually

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two-decade-red-state-murder-problem

Takeaways

• The murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump has exceeded the murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden in every year from 2000 to 2020.
  • Over this 21-year span, this Red State murder gap has steadily widened from a low of 9% more per capita red state murders in 2003 and 2004 to 44% more per capita red state murders in 2019, before settling back to 43% in 2020.
  • Altogether, the per capita Red State murder rate was 23% higher than the Blue State murder rate when all 21 years were combined.
  • If Blue State murder rates were as high as Red State murder rates, Biden-voting states would have suffered over 45,000 more murders between 2000 and 2020.
  • Even when murders in the largest cities in red states are removed, overall murder rates in Trump-voting states were 12% higher than Biden-voting states across this 21-year period and were higher in 18 of the 21 years observed.

Just curious, did it ever cross your mind why they didn't provide the actual data to support this skewed view point?  And how about if people removed their D or R glasses and just looked at the raw data and normalizing it in a way that truly tells the story??

Honestly, I couldn't care less if it is a "blue" or "red" state.  But what is completely obvious, as people have pointed out, the murder rates are significantly higher in large cities compared to rural America.  Why people debate that is beyond me.

lol. why states? oh b/c the data will be twisted to show what you want it to show.
the cities are all run by democratic mayors that are continually pushing progressive policies to not enforce laws, punish or prosecute. which is the genesis of this very topic. 

Because red states generally have significantly higher poverty rates, significantly lower educational attainment, lower opportunity and resultant higher murder, SA and violent crime rates.

Also, you’re a fan of painting with broad strokes. You keep using the word “all”, when it’s painfully clear that, if you read jross’s article, many “progressive” cities have murder rates well below the national average (LA, NYC, and SF for starters). If progressive policies were truly responsible for high murder rates, SF would top the charts. But it’s not even close to the national average, at 2.6 per 100,000 vs 7.8 nationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is complex.

Generally speaking, Marcus was correct that 'poverty is the mother of crime' and Martin was correct that 'The time has come for an all-out world war against poverty' and 'The rich nations must use their vast resources of wealth to develop the underdeveloped, school the unschooled, and feed the unfed.'

More specifically, what is the correlation between violent crime and poverty?  Why is there a 10x difference in violent crime across social groups in poverty?  

image.png.d0533018c8450142e412cc7c6444a077.png

Is 'soft on violent crime' acceptable?  ***duck duck goose** no.

How is the city, state, and federal government going to address this?  Hint: it is not through deflection and excuses.  Any sane person would say 'We have a problem with violence in the city; let's fix it.'  Let's start by hard-policing these bad blocks (now) while addressing the culture and opportunities (40 years).  We'll have support from the state and the Fed.

• Fire 1

51 minutes ago, Le duke said:

The authors of that article conveniently ignore the fact that violence is closely tied to poverty and education. And, as it turns out, state policies in red states result in greater poverty and thus, greater overall murder rates.

Go deeper.

If I lose every dollar, I will not choose violence.  Why is that?  

Poverty is when you don't have enough (money) to take care of your needs.  Now, you can define poverty as whatever you want... so what's your definition?  If you can define it well enough, perhaps the solution will be self-evident on how to address it.  

Edited by jross

19 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

can we just, simply, agree on / admit this:

the progressive (and more recently instituted) crime policies were asinine in concept and proven to be unhelpful in practice?

can we just agree on that? 

100% Yes.  

As I noted in a previous post somewhere, stores are leaving Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco.   The reason is theft and dangerous streets.  Period.   And these are due to Progressive policies that say people need to eat so they can steal and we won't prosecute.   People need a place to live so they can commit crime and it is ok and we won't prosecute.   People need to use drugs so they can ravage a city but they need to so we won't prosecute. 

That is why the SF DA was fired.   That is why the Seattle DA was fired.   Both were ardently progressive and refused to prosecute.  Just a few months ago, Seattle City Council denied the City Attorney (DA) authority and funding to prosecute newly enacted drug laws.   They are completely progressive.  

The progressive mindset is anarchy really.   Let the masses do what they want.   We will selectively prosecute based on what feels right today.  But we won't allow anyone to protect themselves or their property.  This kind of vigilantism has no place in our society and will be dealt with swiftly and with great urgency. 

Is crime worse because a poor person does it, or a black person, or a white person does it?   Crime is crime and needs to be prosecuted whoever does it.   Yes we can agree that this issue is a Progressive issue.  

mspart

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

100% no.

why?

what do you see in them that are helpful? (i can't believe i have to ask this)

there's nothing redeeming about them. please don't say they 'are alleviating prison overcrowding' b/c that's so utterly stupid. the result is more crime on the street, business closing, less services and quality of life for joe citizen.

honestly, are you that obtuse or just being blindly loyal to your side?

what is good about more crime? lol 

TBD

6 minutes ago, mspart said:
Crime, huh
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing
Say it, say it, say it
Crime (uh-huh), huh (yeah, huh)
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

mspart

I hear ya man.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

why?

what do you see in them that are helpful? (i can't believe i have to ask this)

there's nothing redeeming about them. please don't say they 'are alleviating prison overcrowding' b/c that's so utterly stupid. the result is more crime on the street, business closing, less services and quality of life for joe citizen.

honestly, are you that obtuse or just being blindly loyal to your side?

what is good about more crime? lol 

It is because virtually every thing you are dead set against doesn't exist in the way you think it does 

• Haha 1