Let’s call stalling

Dark Energy

1 minute ago, Dark Energy said:

Just watched Iowa’s Bennet clearly and obviously drag Army’s Sanchez OOB while riding on top.  Called action by ref.  B S

Bennett drove the action OOB to avoid a potential scoring action. Text book stalling.

CALL IT!

Too bad it wasn't in Carver, because those Iowa fans would certainly call for the stall. Right?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

21 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

yes, only Iowa does that, to those piling on. 

i agree, stalling should be called much more often.

in particular, if hanging on to an ankle with a hand earns a five count, why doesn't hooking the ankle with my leg? 

Because they are very different things even though they both involve the ankle.

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And yet it is free for all to use. I never understood why everyone is so up in arms and ankles about it.

Nah ... pretty sure Penn St "owns" it.

But really ... both arms & ankles?!  😉

PS: don't go all TBar on me here, tis but a friendly jab.  🙂

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1

used the way I used trapping an ankle wasn't to stall......rather I used it to help control hips to help break a guy down ( I would lift and twist with my leg and hip).......... certainly not a stall ride when used in this manner. But just hooking and sitting on it is certainly stalling.

• Fire 2

27 minutes ago, ionel said:

Nah ... pretty sure Penn St "owns" it.

But really ... both arms & ankles?!  😉

PS: don't go all TBar on me here, tis but a friendly jab.  🙂

I will put you in a verbal bow and arrow so fast....

Which leads to another point. Without the ankle scoop there is no bow and arrow. I will be damned if I let anyone speak ill of the bow and arrow.

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I will put you in a verbal bow and arrow so fast....

Which leads to another point. Without the ankle scoop there is no bow and arrow. I will be damned if I let anyone speak ill of the bow and arrow.

ouch

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Just playing devils advocate here...but with the ankle hooked would they consider that "riding" and not stalling? 

perhaps... some people consider riding stalling...

but another question.. isn't it easier to control the ankle when hooking your leg and sitting on it  then just your four fingers?

not that hangin on with your hand shouldn't be stalling... but the other as well...

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And yet it is free for all to use. I never understood why everyone is so up in arms and ankles about it.

im not angry with PSU doing it.. as you said anyone can...

but why isn't it a five count, if simply grasping the ankle with your hand is.. 

and i did this ride in high school... and taught it as a coach 

56 minutes ago, Le duke said:

And it’s not stalling. Which people should know if they read the rule book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curious... havn't seen a rule book in years... what does it say specifically about this ride...

and again, ipose the question.. how a hand grasping the ankle a five count. but sitting on the ankle not? 

2 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

curious... havn't seen a rule book in years... what does it say specifically about this ride...

and again, ipose the question.. how a hand grasping the ankle a five count. but sitting on the ankle not? 

or compared to the head & arm lock - now a 5 second

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, Light Energy said:

Bennett drove the action OOB to avoid a potential scoring action. Text book stalling.

CALL IT!

I like that Gable Energy where Dan calls stalling in front of Dan's statue calling stalling.

image.thumb.png.4b56d18091dc4cd659fc8839708afc84.png

Edited by jross

the rule book says you must continue to try  "to improve your position" a great example of refs not doing their job............. wrestler A shoots....wrestler B spralls.....wrestler A locks hands and waits for the ref to call a stalemate with NO effort to "improve" his position. That is freaking STALLING!

I got ahold of that leg a LOT.......... I would never have thought to not continue to improve from that position.

The refs have the absolute responsibility to call what they KNOW is stalling. I know a college ref very well who actually calls stalling. He has many times told me how refs will tell him they will stop a match when they know a guy is going to end up backing off the mat. That way they don't have to call it.

Refs not calling stalling is  HUGE problem for our sport.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

the rule book says you must continue to try  "to improve your position" a great example of refs not doing their job............. wrestler A shoots....wrestler B spralls.....wrestler A locks hands and waits for the ref to call a stalemate with NO effort to "improve" his position. That is freaking STALLING!

I got ahold of that leg a LOT.......... I would never have thought to not continue to improve from that position.

The refs have the absolute responsibility to call what they KNOW is stalling. I know a college ref very well who actually calls stalling. He has many times told me how refs will tell him they will stop a match when they know a guy is going to end up backing off the mat. That way they don't have to call it.

Refs not calling stalling is  HUGE problem for our sport.

But we also really want consistency.