Paniro Johnson Is a God...

Husker_Du

If I was marginally more evil:

STEP ONE: Buy a fake beard and farmer overalls so you can blend in. On December 23, drive to Iowa City. Wear the disguise when you pay cash to buy 6 burner phones from WalMart. I presume Iowa City has a WalMart. If not, go to Farm & Fleet or Casey's or Delbert's Five & Dime. 

STEP TWO: Set up fake gmail accounts for each of the 5 best Iowa wrestling starters with a recognizable variation of their Twitter or Instagram or TikTok usernames. 

STEP THREE: Set up 5 Draft Kings accounts using 5 different phones and 5 different usernames for the 5 wrestlers. Do this while parked outside the Iowa wrestling room, or standing next to the Gable statue at Carver. When done, put a dress on the Gable statue. I think that a dress like the one Dorothy wore in the Wizard of Oz would be cute. 

STEP FOUR: On December 26, place bets on the Iowa Hawkeye football team in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl game (or whatever trash bowl takes a 5-7 team). Again, this is accomplished outside the Iowa wrestling room facility or next to the Gable statue. When done, put lipstick on the Gable statue. Something sexy, but still innocent. 

STEP FIVE: Three days before the ILLINI/Iowa dual, use that 6th burner phone to alert the media, the Iowa compliance department and the Feds about these "illegal" bets. Do this next to an Iowa dorm, saying you're a "fellow student." Then, race over to the Gable statue and put a classy set of undergarments and a bra on it. Nothing too showy. It should say, "I like to have fun, but I do draw lines."   

STEP SIX:  Profit! 

ILLINIWRESTLING640.jpg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, fishbane said:

Many university employees are banned from betting under NCAA rules.  The president of a university is definitely prohibited from wagering on his/her university.  Athletics staff cannot bet either.  I really don't know about professors.  A recent ESPN article said the NCAA betting rules apply to "student-athletes, coaches, administrators and officials."  I guess that leaves open the possibility of some staff being exempted from them. I think there could be the possibility for a conflict of interest with a professor, so it would make sense if they were banned.  A professor could bet against his employer to win an athletic competition and then fail a key player in their class which could rule them ineligible and by extension influence the result. 

If I were writing the rule I would ban all university employees from wagering on NCAA sports.  I think this is pretty standard in professional sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL).  If you work for the league or a team you cannot wager on their competitions.

The NCAA got in bed with gambling and now they are shocked, shocked I say!, at the fallout. Like cheating on your spouse, leaving them for the mistress, and then the former mistress becomes a side chick for someone else a few months later.

Leopards Ate My Face Party strikes again.

i am an idiot on the internet

21 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The NCAA got in bed with gambling and now they are shocked, shocked I say!, at the fallout. Like cheating on your spouse, leaving them for the mistress, and then the former mistress becomes a side chick for someone else a few months later.

Leopards Ate My Face Party strikes again.

I'm not sure this is a fair reading of the situation.  The NCAA and other professional sports leagues have sued many times over the year ago prevent legalization of sports betting.  Indeed the NCAA was the defendant in the case (Murphy vs. NCAA) that went to the supreme court in 2018 (they lost) which paved the way for states to legalize sports betting.  They were not advocating or asking for this.

7 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I'm not sure this is a fair reading of the situation.  The NCAA and other professional sports leagues have sued many times over the year ago prevent legalization of sports betting.  Indeed the NCAA was the defendant in the case (Murphy vs. NCAA) that went to the supreme court in 2018 (they lost) which paved the way for states to legalize sports betting.  They were not advocating or asking for this.

And after all that, they still ended up getting bed with gambling. So yes, they did ask for it - just took longer.

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

And after all that, they still ended up getting bed with gambling. So yes, they did ask for it - just took longer.

I mean at some point you have to accept reality and take the L.  It's not like they can appeal beyond the Supreme Court. 

What should they have done?  Paid to lobby for a new law that would withstand scrutiny by the court.  That would have been a waste of money. 

Or should they have maintained the prohibition on hosting championships in states with legal sports gambling?   With a dozen or so states with bills already drafted to legalize sports gambling before the decision was even announced this would have created operational issues.  Today about 30 states and DC have legal sports gambling.   The Big East would not be able to host their championships on any member campus.  The Big Ten wrestling tournament could only take place at the University of MN or a neutral site.

In what way have they got in bed with gambling?

1 minute ago, fishbane said:

I mean at some point you have to accept reality and take the L.  It's not like they can appeal beyond the Supreme Court. 

What should they have done?  Paid to lobby for a new law that would withstand scrutiny by the court.  That would have been a waste of money. 

Or should they have maintained the prohibition on hosting championships in states with legal sports gambling?   With a dozen or so states with bills already drafted to legalize sports gambling before the decision was even announced this would have created operational issues.  Today about 30 states and DC have legal sports gambling.   The Big East would not be able to host their championships on any member campus.  The Big Ten wrestling tournament could only take place at the University of MN or a neutral site.

In what way have they got in bed with gambling?

Sponsorship $ is how they got in bed. Two wrestling schools right off the top of my head and still sipping my first coffe:

Caesar’s sponsors Michigan State 

PointsBet sponsors Maryland

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

If I was marginally more evil:

STEP ONE: Buy a fake beard and farmer overalls so you can blend in. On December 23, drive to Iowa City. Wear the disguise when you pay cash to buy 6 burner phones from WalMart. I presume Iowa City has a WalMart. If not, go to Farm & Fleet or Casey's or Delbert's Five & Dime. 

STEP TWO: Set up fake gmail accounts for each of the 5 best Iowa wrestling starters with a recognizable variation of their Twitter or Instagram or TikTok usernames. 

STEP THREE: Set up 5 Draft Kings accounts using 5 different phones and 5 different usernames for the 5 wrestlers. Do this while parked outside the Iowa wrestling room, or standing next to the Gable statue at Carver. When done, put a dress on the Gable statue. I think that a dress like the one Dorothy wore in the Wizard of Oz would be cute. 

STEP FOUR: On December 26, place bets on the Iowa Hawkeye football team in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl game (or whatever trash bowl takes a 5-7 team). Again, this is accomplished outside the Iowa wrestling room facility or next to the Gable statue. When done, put lipstick on the Gable statue. Something sexy, but still innocent. 

STEP FIVE: Three days before the ILLINI/Iowa dual, use that 6th burner phone to alert the media, the Iowa compliance department and the Feds about these "illegal" bets. Do this next to an Iowa dorm, saying you're a "fellow student." Then, race over to the Gable statue and put a classy set of undergarments and a bra on it. Nothing too showy. It should say, "I like to have fun, but I do draw lines."   

STEP SIX:  Profit! 

ILLINIWRESTLING640.jpg

STEP SEVEN: head to the Happy Valley 😊 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Sponsorship $ is how they got in bed. Two wrestling schools right off the top of my head and still sipping my first coffe:

Caesar’s sponsors Michigan State 

PointsBet sponsors Maryland

Weren't those agreements terminated and short lived?  Is there still a school being sponsored today?

11 hours ago, fishbane said:

It probably a safe assumption that a ban between 51% of a season and 100% the remaining career would be considered for athletes that bet on competition involving their own institution.

Minimum to maximum is probably a safe bet. 

It could end up being 1 year, but to say definitively that it will be 1 year because CP  said so is not a wager I would make. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

10 hours ago, Corby said:

The word I'm getting is if you bet on your school it's not 1 year it's you're done. Also I believe Freeman is Paniro's mother. I have a feeling both Iowa st and Iowa wrestling will have athletes who will be done

yes, it's his mother. 

also here's the legal doc if it hasn't been posted yet

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/redacted-johnson-64c995095e416.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0ybNWGvA-u4cLAm9rW51RVPKdGeXehduCJYaXY6uOIfBHxqlX2s1NICLw_aem_AZyX2M_51F9W2tjErJxEACbL0Tqx5v3Cwo4Rtuy3dwnRwwO63xuIV9BJ_rLz5KdeB6A&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

• Fire 2

TBD

6 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

ahh ... we are not lawyers thus not qualified to read that, well maybe Wkn ...  

Edited by ionel

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The way I read things the NCAA will only have a say over the time he was enrolled at Iowa st from August 2022 to Oct 31 2022. If he didn't bet while he was a student he's in the clear with the NCAA. 

Uninformed guess:

Someone who is potentially addicted to gambling didn’t stop, cold turkey, after creating accounts under another person’s name, just because school was in session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Uninformed guess:

Someone who is likely addicted to gambling didn’t stop, cold turkey, after creating accounts under another person’s name, just because school was in session.

My uniformed guess would be he was betting for multiple people and not just himself.

My uniformed guess would be he was betting for multiple people and not just himself.

I don’t know that that absolves him. He’s still the one doing it.

The best thing the NCAA could do is suspend him and reinstate him on completion of some sort of rehabilitative program.

8 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I don’t know that that absolves him. He’s still the one doing it.

The best thing the NCAA could do is suspend him and reinstate him on completion of some sort of rehabilitative program.

If none of the 25 bets for Iowa st happened between the time he enrolled and Oct 31 he should be back.  He's the one that the dates really matter with his gray shirt.

Edited by Corby

If none of the 25 bets for Iowa st happened between the time he enrolled and Oct 31 he should be back.  He's the one that the dates really matter with his gray shirt.

I get that.

My point was that I doubt he magically stopped betting on Iowa State sporting events, with significantly increased access to other athletes at the school. That seems…very unlikely.

8 minutes ago, Corby said:

If none of the 25 bets for Iowa st happened between the time he enrolled and Oct 31 he should be back. 

Maybe…. But several football games between August to Oct 31, 2022, so wouldn’t “bet” on it. 

Also, if one of these athletes was letting others use his account to make bets, I would question their intelligence. 

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Is she in jail (google seems to think so)?  If so, are people in jail allowed to gamble?

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

My two cents:

Another thread on the old place was nuked because legal documents involving a high-profile NCAA athlete were posted.

A certain thread was nuked on this place.

I have to be a self-righteous ombudsman and ask what the difference(s) may be. I have a strong (and supportive fwiw unless proven otherwise) hunch, but I do feel it is important to hear from the keeper of the keys himself. Would you be willing to share with the masses?

11 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

My two cents:

Another thread on the old place was nuked because legal documents involving a high-profile NCAA athlete were posted.

A certain thread was nuked on this place.

I have to be a self-righteous ombudsman and ask what the difference(s) may be. I have a strong (and supportive fwiw unless proven otherwise) hunch, but I do feel it is important to hear from the keeper of the keys himself. Would you be willing to share with the masses?

Because the old place had stupid rules. 

• Fire 1