Jump to content

Let's talk about the brown stuff...


Recommended Posts

I will allow Ron Swanson to state my position:

clear alcohol is for rich women on diets | Ron swanson ...

I think we need a thread to share good whisky/whiskey recommendations.

I have spent a god awful fortune on scotch, bourbon, and rye in my days, but what I am looking for is true value picks.

I will start with two:

  1. Kirkland Islay Single Malt $38. If you like the peat/smoke/burnt bandaid taste/smell of a good Islay at 38 bucks this stuff holds up well against other Islay's costing $55-$60.
  2. Hopping across the Irish Sea check out Red Breast Single Pot Still 12 year $31. Very smooth, little to no burn. If you are trying whiskey for the first time this is a good, accessible way to start.

So, let me here it. What are you drinking these days that won't break the bank (or peel paint off my car)?

 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Used to be a vodka guy. Became too much of a vodka guy. Now it’s just beer and wine. 
 

sorry I’m not help. 

I too am a vodka guy and trying to not become too much of a vodka guy. 

I am also no help as I do not like the brown stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bigbrog said:

I too am a vodka guy and trying to not become too much of a vodka guy. 

I am also no help as I do not like the brown stuff.

Covid and work from home man, it was rough.  Vodka was a night thing. Sloped down to right after I logged off. Which sloped down to ah what the hell I’m home, 3:00 is good. 
 

Soon I had a bloody sitting on my couch at 10:30. The next morning another bloody and so on. About a week of that and I realized I was drinking vodka every morning for the last week. 
 

That was enough of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WrestlingRasta said:

Covid and work from home man, it was rough.  Vodka was a night thing. Sloped down to right after I logged off. Which sloped down to ah what the hell I’m home, 3:00 is good. 
 

Soon I had a bloody sitting on my couch at 10:30. The next morning another bloody and so on. About a week of that and I realized I was drinking vodka every morning for the last week. 
 

That was enough of that. 

Commend you brother for noticing it...trying to keep myself from getting there...work and women though...LOL  I have implemented a "rule" that I don't drink at home unless it is a cookout, get together, etc.  And when I am out and have to drive I don't drink vodka as it is the "forget" sauce for me as I am fast drinker, and that stuff goes down like water for me.   I have gone to this seltzer called Carbliss (black raspberry), mostly due to doing keto, but they are tasty as well.  But man are they expensive and not a lot of places have them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, headshuck said:

How does sotol compare to mezcal?

They didn't taste all that similar to me.  No worm 😞 and they are made from different plants.  I bought it on a whim and was pleasantly surprised to find it resembles a spirit distilled in Ghana, which I enjoy with friends.

Edited by Plasmodium
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wrestleknownothing - my hero.

great topic.

i've always drank whiskey/bourbon but do even moreso now b/c i'm doing the (quasi) keto thing (so very little beer).

anyway - Jim Beam, imo, and despite its low price, is great. 

Red Breast is awesome! there's a series of 'Dot' whiskeys i like "Yellow Dot" "Green Dot"

i think a lot of big reputation whiskeys are overrated. that being said, i feel every cent spent on Pappy is worth it. 

There's a Rye Whiskey i like - Whistle Pig (i believe the story goes that the master distiller of jim beam left kentucky and moved to canada and started it using canadian rye)

here's a rating system btw https://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews

now let's talk tequila! 

Jason Bryant works here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Wrestleknownothing - my hero.

great topic.

i've always drank whiskey/bourbon but do even moreso now b/c i'm doing the (quasi) keto thing (so very little beer).

anyway - Jim Beam, imo, and despite its low price, is great. 

Red Breast is awesome! there's a series of 'Dot' whiskeys i like "Yellow Dot" "Green Dot"

i think a lot of big reputation whiskeys are overrated. that being said, i feel every cent spent on Pappy is worth it. 

There's a Rye Whiskey i like - Whistle Pig (i believe the story goes that the master distiller of jim beam left kentucky and moved to canada and started it using canadian rye)

here's a rating system btw https://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews

now let's talk tequila! 

As much as I like tequila I prefer mezcal. For Christmas one of my sons got me a bottle of Mal Bien. That boy was raised right.

As for the green, yellow, and red dot I am a big fan of those as well.

But with the Whistle Pig, the Dots, and especially the Pappy we are getting into some real money. 

So, what are your value plays?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a bourbon guy but involved somewhat in the industry on the marketing side (and live in Louisville, capital of bourbon)

Green River just restarted operations in Owensboro, they are DSP 10 so been around forever, but stopped operations for a good bit... Recently was bought out by Bardstown Bourbon and they restarted everything.... I can't speak publically on what's in the works, but they have some really good product hitting the market soon...

Also Rabbit Hole I'm told is good - they were neighbors next to my office and actually just bought our property 

If you ever want to get into Bourbon certification, gonna plug one of my clients, Stave & Thief - they have an online course (also in person if that's your thing)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Just picked up the Calumet Small Batch at Costco for $49.99. Calumet tends to be smooth, not a lot of burn. The bourbon purists sometimes do not like that, but I do.

I have had the Calumet 15, and it is exceptional. This is a blend of 15 and 8. They don't say what the ratio is, but given the price I will guess it is 80% to 90% 8 year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Well - what do you smoke?  Don't leave us hanging!

Personally, I don't smoke but I enjoy the wacky names the smokers give their product.  Crystal Diesel.  Bruce Banner.

Yes,  the names are clever, and ever changing.  One name never seems to stay for very long,  nor return. 

These are all things that I've heard. 😇

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Is it legal over there in Ioway?

No. We have an authoritarian one party rule State with a gubner who has vowed,  "over my dead body. "

However,  we're pretty much surrounded by States that do, so Iowans spend their dollars in other States. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

I will allow Ron Swanson to state my position:

clear alcohol is for rich women on diets | Ron swanson ...

 

Avoided opening this thread cause thought it was more down @PortaJohn's well.  Now I see its about the good brown stuff.  As Wkn knows I like Garrison Brothers, however can't get it at my new home town.  Have found Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey is nice. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Latest Rankings

  • College Commitments

    Griffin Lundeen

    Thief River Falls, Minnesota
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Northern State
    Projected Weight: 165

    Cyler Ruhoff

    Foley, Minnesota
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Sioux Falls
    Projected Weight: 125

    Seth Weaver

    Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Maryland
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Franklin & Marshall
    Projected Weight: 157

    Tee Ward

    Fremont, Michigan
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Northern Illinois
    Projected Weight: 141

    Vinnie Abbey

    Hartland, Michigan
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Indiana Tech
    Projected Weight: 157
×
×
  • Create New...