Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

IMG-6387.jpg

I'm not even remotely the "king of all things" but Rasta is right - oven should be just fine for 4#.

If you've got unwaxed butcher paper - use that. If you don't, then buy some. In the meantime, go ahead and use alum foil for wrap. It's fine, but it would be better to not make a habit out of using alum foil. (I'll leave the research to you.)

If you like the smoke taste, use liquid smoke. Purists don't like it - but if you aren't using a smoker, you don't have a lot of options in the smoke-flavor department. A few drops of that will do in a pinch for the 1st phase.

Wrap for 2nd phase, try to pick a sheet pan that has a high enough edge to contain any liquid droppings. There shouldn't be any, but then again - it does happen. When you unwrap, you'll need the higher edge while the rack tightens.

There is good news - you won't need to spray the ribs nearly as much in the oven, the humidity there is more consistent than on a BBQ. They won't get that true wood flavor, but they'll cook more consistently and will probably be really good.

If you're Keto, then you won't be using BBQ sauce - which is just fine, these shouldn't need any (and which also why I recommended a bit of liquid smoke.)

I'm no "king of all things" - but I do know a thing or two about BBQ.

Best of luck,

Happy to help if I can. Either for this cook, or the next.

As we approach the end of summer (boooo!) it's time to fire up the Traeger double time.

(2) racks, done 3-2-1'ish ...

• 3h@180 silver skin removed, meat side up w/hourly spritz (no apple juice, just water)
  • 2h@225 spritzed then wrapped in wax-free butcher paper, meat side down
  • 30m@225 unwrapped and meat side up
  • No sauce on these - just meat and a light rub

Ribs.thumb.png.cd0e5d17d4b2d15197332d768951c9ff.png

• Fire 4

14 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

As we approach the end of summer (boooo!) it's time to fire up the Traeger double time.

• 3h@180 silver skin removed, meat side up w/hourly spritz (no apple juice, just water)

C'mon Man what's you address? 😋 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

64e9a21a5d29ef01e561f743335c1123.jpg
Smoked venison loin. A bit more done than the recipe called for, but bruh … this is effing delicious. wicked tender and juicy.

The end pieces look a bit dry - but the rest of it looks really good. The juice on the cutting board in the front tells the tale.

I don't usually eat venison - maybe sausage if it's 50/50 (comes from years of deer hunters trying to enlist me to reduce their inventory.)

But these front pieces? "I'd stand in line with a glass of red wine." - Not a quote, just my 2 cents.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i'm sure this pic won't win any awards, but man, these beef ribs came out great (under the circumstances)

still pink inside and yet fell off the bone.

image.png

Of course.  That’s what’s left when the butcher cuts boneless rib-eyes. 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:24 AM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Sorry I missed this before, but did these get at all smoky using the Traeger? Been a challenge for me. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 8/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, Jason Bryant said:

64e9a21a5d29ef01e561f743335c1123.jpg
Smoked venison loin. A bit more done than the recipe called for, but bruh … this is effing delicious. wicked tender and juicy.

Your own harvest?

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Smoked Brisket yesterday with Apple chips, ran out of Mesquite.   I don't recommend it.   Mesquite is much better.   The brisket was still pretty good but with a hint of smoky goodness rather than being overwhelmed by it.   We used apple for the Turkey last year.  Marvellous!!   

The brisket was big, had to cut it down to 3 pieces.   Heading to the store to get more of both so I'm ready for Thanksgiving in a few months. 

mspart

• Fire 3

29 minutes ago, mspart said:

Smoked Brisket yesterday with Apple chips, ran out of Mesquite.   I don't recommend it.   Mesquite is much better.   The brisket was still pretty good but with a hint of smoky goodness rather than being overwhelmed by it.   We used apple for the Turkey last year.  Marvellous!!   

The brisket was big, had to cut it down to 3 pieces.   Heading to the store to get more of both so I'm ready for Thanksgiving in a few months. 

mspart

By no means do I have much expertise in this, but I've always understood that beef and pork can be smoked using the "smokier wood," such as mesquite, hickory, and pecan.  Poultry is apparently best using the sweet woods.

I usually like to blend smokes, and my favorites are pecan and cherry for poultry, and hickory and apple for pork butt.