Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

I threw a large sirloin on for dinner, quick marinade in Worcestershire (this for some reason has to be capitalized?) and soy sauces with a hit of garlic. 

Smoked for about an hour at 225, then cranked the Traeger up to 450 for the final 15 minutes and boom. Only reason I went that long is my wife doesn't like medium rare, so I had to at least give it a bit more than I normally like.  

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

I threw a large sirloin on for dinner, quick marinade in Worcestershire (this for some reason has to be capitalized?) and soy sauces with a hit of garlic. 
Smoked for about an hour at 225, then cranked the Traeger up to 450 for the final 15 minutes and boom. Only reason I went that long is my wife doesn't like medium rare, so I had to at least give it a bit more than I normally like.  

Have you considered marriage counseling?
  • Fire 1

On 6/24/2023 at 9:40 AM, Husker_Du said:

sort of a rookie question here: 

as stated in original post, i (still) don't have a smoker.

i'm putting on a pork butt and two racks of St. Louis ribs.

is there any taste benefit in cooking them on the grill the ENTIRE cook,

or would i do just as well using the oven and then finishing them off on the grill? 

Answer = No taste benefit from BBQ the ENTIRE cook.

As others have mentioned, the meat doesn't benefit from smoke much after the first hour or so.

After that, you're basically just cooking with heat. Which is easily duplicated in an oven (and usually more accurately.)

The thing is - if you're someplace hot, many would prefer to keep the cook going outside to keep the house cool. Not so much about the meat, but about the comfort in the house.

In winter, I finish pork butts inside on a regular basis. Hours of even cooking, and extra warmth in the house. Win-Win.

• Fire 1

Thawing a brisket now for tomorrow.   I got it from a friend who raised 2 cows at a time and at about 18-24 months had them butchered.   We would split a 1/4 side with another family.   Really good meat.   He's no longer doing it, but it was a good deal for a number of years.  

It is rather a small cut but it should work for my wife and I.   I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

mspart

• Fire 1

Interested to see some of these cooks come out tomorrow….

I got a dozen or so people coming, big menu: St. Louis Ribs; pulled chicken; pulled brisket, Mac n cheese, variety of melons, variety of veggies, home made cucumber salsa. 

Added some furniture down at the PitDock, but man it’s going to be a hot mutha…..

2C97FE73-CDBD-42A7-BD65-03FDB3B4AC83.jpeg

• Fire 3

Interested to see some of these cooks come out tomorrow….
I got a dozen or so people coming, big menu: St. Louis Ribs; pulled chicken; pulled brisket, Mac n cheese, variety of melons, variety of veggies, home made cucumber salsa. 

Added some furniture down at the PitDock, but man it’s going to be a hot mutha…..
2C97FE73-CDBD-42A7-BD65-03FDB3B4AC83.thumb.jpeg.ac2816fe5a3ff3036f3514e13564d74e.jpeg

This. I’m all about this.
  • Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

On 7/3/2023 at 10:59 AM, Husker_Du said:

send pics, mspart.

i'm braising short ribs tomorrow. wish me luck

The Brisket was good.  It was not great, but it was still very good.  Sorry, I forgot to get pics.   It was a great day yesterday.

mspart

• Fire 2