Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

14 hours ago, Offthemat said:

I haven’t looked in a long time but I’ve never seen them sold separately.  I don’t know if they are available where you are, but Oklahoma Joe makes an upright deluxe version for $450 that is really nice, has hangers for chicken and such.  This:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/smokers/8023745

Thanks for the link!  

mspart

22 hours ago, mspart said:

I haven't worn mine out yet but the chip box and the water tray are showing signs of wear.   I might need to get new ones soon.   Hopefully they can be purchased separately. 

mspart

I just found a website that sells the parts for my smoker.   Perhaps they sell parts for yours too.   The water tray and wood box are available for my smoker. 

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/

mspart

Has anyone done a braided pork loin before?   Saw how it is done and it looks like it cuts down the smoke time (not that they take that long), looks cool from a presentation standpoint, and also looks like a good way to get a lot of seasoning across more of the meat.

Also, funny story, a really good buddy of mine has had for a long time one of the smaller charcoal smokers and has always cast a jealous gaze over my brother and my smokers (Oklahoma Joe and Traeger pellet smokers), well his wife and kids got him a nice big Traeger pellet smoker for Father's Day....he sent a pick and said he can't remember crying that hard  since he was a little kid when he saw it!  LOL

• Haha 1

I am no Guru on smoking meat, let's get that out of the way first. 

I will fill the wood box with apple wood chips.   I will then line the water tray with foil and fill with water.  Then I will place thawed pork butts on the racks of the smoker.   Then I will turn on the propane and get the temp up to 225-230F.   It will usually stay there and this slowly cooks the meat but is enough to get the chips started smoking.   

This time I will get the meat to about 150F internal and then wrap in foil.   This reduces the crust on the pork as I understand it.   New process for me.   I did not do this on the previous pork butts I smoked but the crust was fairly thick.   My wife and I both like the edges  pretty crisp so I think we will do this.   Cook until 205 internal temp and remove, and let sit for an hour.   Pretty simple.  

We will give the pork a rub before cooking.   Also, at the 150 mark, you can wrap and pull out the pork and put in an oven to finish the cooking.   By then the chips have smoked their all and have no more to give.   But the internal of the smoker is pretty smoky too so I will probably leave it in the smoker until done. 

I'm no cook and don't put a lot of thought into how to make this better like "Gee I should cut up apples and add to the top" or other enhancements.  This works and I am very happy with my previous results.  I looked up this method on the interwebs and the google. 

mspart

• Fire 1

Some guys like putting the foil wrapped meat in something that’s well insulated, like an ice chest, and let it cool down slowly for up to 8 hours before slicing and eating.  This is not entirely necessary, but my brisket qualifies as one of those “you don’t need no teeth to eat my beef”. 

I use a pellet smoker and have done a lot of pork butts.  Here is my process - I add my pellets, I have used apple wood pellets in the past and those are good, but have switched over to a competition blend, which is just a combination blend of wood pellets.  I set the smoker to 225 and while that is heating up I wash the butts, pat dry them and then apply olive oil (you don't need to do this but I just do it) and a rub.  I have started to dabble in my own rubs and they have turned out really good, but another really good go to is the Kroger brand pork rub...it has great flavor.  Side note...applying the rub the night before also is a good practice, cut sometimes I don't plan very good.  I then put the butts in the smoker and let it smoke until 160 and then wrap it in the brown butcher paper and then continue smoking until 200 -205.  I then take it out and wrap it in 2 towels and let it rest for approximately 45 - 60 minutes.  Comes out and has a nice bark ( @mspart waiting until 160 to wrap may help with the bark part) and is absolutely fall apart.  I serve the pulled pork in a crock pot and add 7-up soda to it to keep it moist.  The leftovers (which is usually a lot as I normally don't do just one butt) I seal pack and put in the freezer.  I found the best way to reheat it is to put the frozen stuff in a slow cooker and bring it slowly back up to a warm temp...again I add 7-up soda to keep it moist...and it still is nice and tender.

• Fire 1

Just now, Offthemat said:

Some guys like putting the foil wrapped meat in something that’s well insulated, like an ice chest, and let it cool down slowly for up to 8 hours before slicing and eating.  This is not entirely necessary, but my brisket qualifies as one of those “you don’t need no teeth to eat my beef”. 

I did a brisket this last weekend for Father's day and my meat got done about 3 hours earlier than I planned so wrapped it in foil and two towels and it stayed warm until the guests arrived.  I heard the cooler will keep it warm nice and long too.  For grilling corn in the husk, you can put crumpled up newspaper in a cooler and throw the cooked cobs in there and they too will stay warm for many hours.

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, mspart said:

I am no Guru on smoking meat, let's get that out of the way first. 

I will fill the wood box with apple wood chips.   I will then line the water tray with foil and fill with water.  Then I will place thawed pork butts on the racks of the smoker.   Then I will turn on the propane and get the temp up to 225-230F.   It will usually stay there and this slowly cooks the meat but is enough to get the chips started smoking.   

This time I will get the meat to about 150F internal and then wrap in foil.   This reduces the crust on the pork as I understand it.   New process for me.   I did not do this on the previous pork butts I smoked but the crust was fairly thick.   My wife and I both like the edges  pretty crisp so I think we will do this.   Cook until 205 internal temp and remove, and let sit for an hour.   Pretty simple.  

We will give the pork a rub before cooking.   Also, at the 150 mark, you can wrap and pull out the pork and put in an oven to finish the cooking.   By then the chips have smoked their all and have no more to give.   But the internal of the smoker is pretty smoky too so I will probably leave it in the smoker until done. 

I'm no cook and don't put a lot of thought into how to make this better like "Gee I should cut up apples and add to the top" or other enhancements.  This works and I am very happy with my previous results.  I looked up this method on the interwebs and the google. 

mspart

That’s what I was curious about your pre process.  I like to soak in black cherry/cranberry juice overnight. Good rub then go.  I leave the fat cap on too. A lot of people say trim it down but I leave it on for the cook. It renders down and what’s left you literally just wipe off before you start the shred. 

2 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

That’s what I was curious about your pre process.  I like to soak in black cherry/cranberry juice overnight. Good rub then go.  I leave the fat cap on too. A lot of people say trim it down but I leave it on for the cook. It renders down and what’s left you literally just wipe off before you start the shred. 

I have only smoked pork butt once, three at the same time, but did not marinating or anything.   Your idea sounds good.

mspart

sort of a rookie question here: 

as stated in original post, i (still) don't have a smoker.

i'm putting on a pork butt and two racks of St. Louis ribs.

is there any taste benefit in cooking them on the grill the ENTIRE cook,

or would i do just as well using the oven and then finishing them off on the grill? 

TBD

17 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

or would i do just as well using the oven and then finishing them off on the grill? 

I would think the opposite.  Most of the smoke flavor comes from the first few hours of smoking.  Some people use an oven after the meat is wrapped.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

You can also smoke on a weber type charcoal grill.  You build a small fire on one side and put the food on the other.  Add wood chips for smoke and turn the food and check the temp occasionally.  

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

I would start on the grill, wrap real tight and finish in the oven.  If you can get some good smoke cooking it indirect with a lower temp, a couple hours in the smoke and then wrapping real tight will do justice. Won’t get the ‘smoke ring’ that people care about, but you’ll get the flavor. 

Went a different route last night….seared tuna steaks, diced them up still kinda rare, threw them in a rice mix for stuffed peppers, about 45 min in the smoker. 

Leftover tuna got an additional 20 min in, then today forged a mix for tuna melts with English muffin, tomato, and Muenster cheese. 

Lunch was good…

• Fire 2

I run the pork butt on the Traeger for 4-5 hours then wrap tight and put in a disposable tin pan and finish to 205 in the oven. Use a big pan cause you’d be surprised how much juice you get which then gets mixed once the meat is shredded. No bbq sauce needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk