Greg Warren

ionel

Given its the off season check out Greg Warren on DRYBAR.  He has several other good stand ups on YouTube.  If you don't know who he is I'd suggest wait till you've watched half the routine before you google search him, its just better that way.  Also, just wait on the Red Alert!

• Fire 7

On 5/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, ionel said:

Given its the off season check out Greg Warren on DRYBAR.  He has several other good stand ups on YouTube.  If you don't know who he is I'd suggest wait till you've watched half the routine before you google search him, its just better that way.  Also, just wait on the Red Alert!

He starts out slow... but he finishes the show off well!

... ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS A...           FISH           SANDWICH! 🤣

(... you all will hate me, when that starts running thru your brain pans like an unwanted house guest that won't leave!  😏)

D3

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...

He seems like a great guy. I usually prefer comics in the style of Carlin or Bill Hicks but he is clearly talented and his routines are entertaining. Wholesome observational comedy with a Midwestern bent. Great delivery and impressions. He's a smart guy playing dumb which is always endearing.

In his routine, he mentions getting the shit kicked out of himself in practice by a farmer named "Steve" that just happened to be a member of the 1980 Olympic team. I looked up  1980 team and didn't see anyone named Steve or even anyone that might fit his description. I am assuming he was just taking artistic license for the sake of the story but does anyone know who this person was (if it was anyone at all)?

2 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

He seems like a great guy. I usually prefer comics in the style of Carlin or Bill Hicks but he is clearly talented and his routines are entertaining. Wholesome observational comedy with a Midwestern bent. Great delivery and impressions. He's a smart guy playing dumb which is always endearing.

In his routine, he mentions getting the shit kicked out of himself in practice by a farmer named "Steve" that just happened to be a member of the 1980 Olympic team. I looked up  1980 team and didn't see anyone named Steve or even anyone that might fit his description. I am assuming he was just taking artistic license for the sake of the story but does anyone know who this person was (if it was anyone at all)?

Ha I did the same thing!  Looking up some of the guys, my best guess would be Ben Peterson, whose Wikipedia says he grew up on a dairy farm.  Although he would’ve been a good bit bigger than Warren.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Ha I did the same thing!  Looking up some of the guys, my best guess would be Ben Peterson, whose Wikipedia says he grew up on a dairy farm.  Although he would’ve been a good bit bigger than Warren.

Whoever it was would have been ~10 years removed from the 1980 Olympics and he claimed the guy was in his 40s. Of the freestyle athletes, Peterson might have been the only one in that age range in 1990. But by the way it was described, it seemed like the guy was someone local. I guess you can't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

It was Steve Barrett, Ok State. 1977 Champ 142. Was on the ladder in 1980 but stopped trialing when we pulled out.

Wrestled for AIA for a number of years. I believe he lived in the USSR for some time.

Edited by gimpeltf
  • Fire 5

1 minute ago, Warm Up Champ said:

Greg was actually on the FRL podcast monday of this week.  Worth a listen.  Never knew that he beat Bormet in college.

Also of note during FRL he did mention that he changes people's names during his stories for the sake of identity protection.  I took that meaning as if his stories were more true, just that the names attached to them weren't.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Also of note during FRL he did mention that he changes people's names during his stories for the sake of identity protection.  I took that meaning as if his stories were more true, just that the names attached to them weren't.

So Bormet wasn't actually Bormet?  😄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

So Bormet wasn't actually Bormet?  😄

I took what he said for that to apply to his shows, not to FRL.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

As Gimp pointed out, Old Steve is Steve Barrett. The "80 Olympics" thing may be an embellishment of sorts for the sake of the story, but he was on the ladder and had heavy international wrestling experience at the time. It's a nuance that really no one but us cares about. I don't think Barrett is out there saying he was on the team. It's like if someone messes up a fact in a retelling. It's entertainment, so that's not one I'm going to be like "LIAR" on, for example. 

Warren legit beat Bormet in the bloodround and he's also cited Dort Mayabb in his last special by name about her running a marathon. 

I once found a picture of Steve Barrett in an old AWN and sent it to Greg. He replied with "oh the hell he put us through"

• Fire 3

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008.