Vision Quest

jackwebster

59 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

A lot of 80s movies had some homoerotic overtones. I blame it on all the cocaine.

In the immortal words of the Porter of Inverness, "Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance."

Edited by jackwebster

Just now, flyingcement said:

In spite of my avatar, I haven't really looked at this movie through the dimension of sexuality.  

Could you imagine a scene during a practice Coach blows the whistle and says, "Alright fellas switch partners.  It's time to play wrestle" end scene.  

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

11 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Did you do the same with the Rocky movies? :classic_huh:

I didn't have possession of the Rocky Movies.....watched them on TV, but if I needed a tape, yes I would have taped over them too....lol.  I have many wrestling videos I wouldn't tape over.....hundreds of them.

16 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I get what you are saying: none of the wrestling stuff in the film is gay.  But step back from the question of mimetic accuracy for a second. Why is the filmmaker making those decisions? Why does Swain get his Ultra Flexes from the gay guy at the hotel? Why does Swain do Tai Chi in his warm up?

LOL...his "ultra flexes?" I don't remember that. I remember him 

I remember watching this movie every year with my team in HS(which...I guess is SUPER gay). See...I just thought it was a way for our coach to have a little pizza party, some team bonding and get ready for the stretch run of the season. How naïve I much have been!

I'll go with the other guy. Sometimes... you spit just because you've got to spit. 

I can't remember the last time I spit.

I...I'm not gonna take the bait on this one.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, scourge165 said:

LOL

Laugh all you want, but you can't explain away the fact that Swain says "The clitoris is homologous to the penis" and that Carla combines the best things he likes about girls and the best things he likes about guys. Look: the only way he could have got his new shoes is if he went back to the gay guy's room.

Obviously, I'm half-trolling, but only half.

Edited by jackwebster

7 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Laugh all you want, but you can't explain the fact that Swain says "The clitoris is homologous to the penis" and that Carla combines the best things he likes about girls and the best things he likes about guys.

So what? THEY ARE! They literally are...he wants to be a Gyno...which I'll grant you, a bit odd for a HS student, but not gay. 

Also, My GF loves watching Wrestling, she's huge FB fan, BB fan, super laid back...she's cool. She was also athlete in College. She combines the best things I like about Women(a BIG one of those is not actually having the penis and testicles and being women...by the definition we've used up until about 26 months ago) AND she's not exactly one of the guys, but that shit is always overblown anyway.

Why do people need to search this shit out? Turn on literally ANY shot today and it will touch on every LGBTQ issue, drug abuse, domestic violence, white privilege, toxic "sis" males, everything. It's like a check list. They need someone for wardrobe, for continuity, for social issues of the day. 

Stop assigning these ridiculous meanings to past movies and or songs as well. I mean, it's not the same thing, but this is the same type of thought process that went into the ridiculous "banning" of "Baby it's Cold Outside," because it's "rape culture." 

• Fire 2

Took a class with Terry Davis, the author, where we studied his book. I think he’d say that Louden was a curious observer of the human condition. He found homosexuality interesting, precisely because it was so foreign to him. He was not embarrassed to discuss or acknowledge those aspects of life/wrestling, just as he was not ashamed to admit he was obsessed with vaginas/women. His grandfather was a model of masculinity, which he also felt he didn’t meet, but that whole relationship was largely ignored in the screenplay. 

• Fire 3

44 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Took a class with Terry Davis, the author, where we studied his book. I think he’d say that Louden was a curious observer of the human condition. He found homosexuality interesting, precisely because it was so foreign to him. He was not embarrassed to discuss or acknowledge those aspects of life/wrestling, just as he was not ashamed to admit he was obsessed with vaginas/women. His grandfather was a model of masculinity, which he also felt he didn’t meet, but that whole relationship was largely ignored in the screenplay. 

That makes total sense. Louden isn't gay -- which the linked essay is at pains to point out. However, he is interested in it. The filmmaker works with this curiosity to explore to our sexual hangups and potentialities.

• Fire 1

Me thinks there is a fair bit of over thinking and projection occurring …

… coupled with a desire to repeat a stance again and again to support one’s self image as being a deeper and smarter thinker than others.  

jack, you are WOKE!  Congrats!  I hope this affirmation is what you hoped to get.  

43 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Me thinks there is a fair bit of over thinking and projection occurring …

… coupled with a desire to repeat a stance again and again to support one’s self image as being a deeper and smarter thinker than others.  

jack, you are WOKE!  Congrats!  I hope this affirmation is what you hoped to get.  

Yup. Now one to more pressing matters: Lees knees are shot and his cardio is suspect. Maybe he'll win; maybe he won't. 

1. I have a problem with anybody who sees wrestling and instantly assumes there are homosexual undertones. It's a friggin contact sport and anybody who thinks that all contact between people is sexual has some serious issues.

2. You do what you have to do to make weight, nobody cares if you strip down for 30 seconds to jump on the scale. That being said, I and most other guys usually weighed in in underwear or our singlet. One time we were standing in line to weigh in and the ref insisted that we just wear a jock or nothing at all because that was in the rules. I always thought that guy was out of line. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, buckshot said:

1. I have a problem with anybody who sees wrestling and instantly assumes there are homosexual undertones. It's a friggin contact sport and anybody who thinks that all contact between people is sexual has some serious issues.

2. You do what you have to do to make weight, nobody cares if you strip down for 30 seconds to jump on the scale. That being said, I and most other guys usually weighed in in underwear or our singlet. One time we were standing in line to weigh in and the ref insisted that we just wear a jock or nothing at all because that was in the rules. I always thought that guy was out of line. 

1. Anyone that thinks wrestling is homosexual is an idiot. Wrestling teaches one to kick @$$ not........ kiss ass

2 It was the rule " jock or nothing"........ nobody had an issue of that I ever heard of.............. NEVER saw anyone try to wear underware/shorts.

We also had 1/2 hr. weigh ins.

Weigh in and let's go!......oh yeah weigh in drink a bunch of water. THEN let's go.

• Fire 2