Spencer - get standing O at Penn State?

Dark Energy

I had no expectation of anything different from the crowd and would have been very surprised by an ovation.  The program and its fans strike me as ruthlessly focused on winning with no sentimentality.  (I mean that descriptively, not pejoratively.)

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

The fact is was mixed as all is embarrassing for PSU fans.

Well to be fair, some of those people who just started following Penn State wrestling in 2011 probably don’t know who Spencer Lee is (only somewhat joking)

Edited by 1032004

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I think it's clear what I'm communicating. There is no expression of surprise in my post.

So, no, no surprise. What's your point?

I just wanted to verify what you actually think of the average forum poster…

it’s fine…

no need to get salty…

10 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I think he got a Sitting NO rather than a Standing O.

If I recall correctly, the crowd for Lee's final high school match was rooting heavily against him.

Spencer's a likable guy and I'm sure it doesn't bother him at all.  

I saw that match and I don't know why you think you recall that.  The kid was wearing a heavy knee brace and was only out there because if he won he'd be a 4x undefeated PA state AAA champ.  I thought people were pulling for him, either out of sympathy/respect for him toughing out his injury and/or so that they could say later that they witnessed some history.  

59 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Why would people expect Lee to get a standing O?  I am a huge Lee fan, but I wouldn't have gave a standing O to Lee but rather to the backup of the backup who didn't get pinned.

Because most knowledgeable wrestling fans acknowledge greatness, just like Iowa fans did in Iowa City with David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Gable Steveson, etc.

Add to it that Spencer is a PA native and instead they chose to boo him just shows what we already knew about that fanbase. Either way, I'm sure Spencer isn't losing any sleep over it.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Because most knowledgeable wrestling fans acknowledge greatness, just like Iowa fans did in Iowa City with David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Gable Steveson, etc.

Add to it that Spencer is a PA native and instead they chose to boo him just shows what we already knew about that fanbase. Either way, I'm sure Spencer isn't losing any sleep over it.

Look up Taylor’s last match at Iowa, or Nickal’s, Zain’s  or Ruth’s. I just rewatched the YouTube and there was absolutely no ovation for any of them at Iowa. Maybe when Taylor was repping USA, but not as a Lion. Right now, Spencer is a three time champ. PSU has plenty of their own multiple time champs to cheer on. 

Edited by PSUer1989

4 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Why would you give a standing ovation to a PENNSYLVANIA TRAITOR.  That would be like giving a standing ovation to Benedict Arnold when he leaves for Britain.

5 hours ago, lightweight said:

I saw that match and I don't know why you think you recall that.  The kid was wearing a heavy knee brace and was only out there because if he won he'd be a 4x undefeated PA state AAA champ.  I thought people were pulling for him, either out of sympathy/respect for him toughing out his injury and/or so that they could say later that they witnessed some history.  

Quite frankly, that is the way I recall it-- that the crowd was rooting for DeSanto and his "vision quest" upset.   In fact,  I've heard Lee say in an interview that it was one of the only times that the crowd was rooting against him and booing him.   

Maybe it was because a PA guy (Lee) was going to Iowa (while DeSanto was staying in the state and going to Drexel). 

Maybe it was because DeSanto was getting after it and it appeared like Lee was stalling (which he was).  Lee was spent and barely hanging on.   

I know I was rooting for DeSanto and the upset at the time.

Here's the match:

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I'm surprised this topic got as much traction as it has. I didn't expect a standing ovation and don't care that it didn't take place. The handful of meek boo's that were audible at match start also don't bother me. 

I don't think it bothers Lee either.  If/when Lee wins his 4th, wrestling fans everywhere likely will be cheering for him ... or at least they should be in my opinion.

And the next discussion will be whether, when, and what happens if Lee tangles with Gilman (or even RBY) for a spot on the World Team

1 hour ago, PSUer1989 said:

Look up Taylor’s last match at Iowa, or Nickal’s, Zain’s  or Ruth’s. I just rewatched the YouTube and there was absolutely no ovation for any of them at Iowa. Maybe when Taylor was repping USA, but not as a Lion. Right now, Spencer is a three time champ. PSU has plenty of their own multiple time champs to cheer on. 

Facts not allowed. 

• Fire 2