149: SVN by Dec  (swing match) 9 to 6 Iowa 

157: siebrecht by Dec (swing match) 12 to 6 Iowa 

165: facundo by Dec (swing match if it happens) 12 to 9 Iowa 

174: starocci by Dec 12 to 12

184: brooks by Dec 15 to 12 psu

197: dean by Dec (swing match) 18 to 12

285: Cass by Dec (swing match) 18 to 15 psu

Brands gets team pointed at some point to make final score 18 to 14

What’s the reasoning behind so many picks of Siebrecht over Haines? That match to me is where Penn State is most likely to win, and a sizeable favorite, after their four returning NC matches. Is it just because Haines is a freshman?

I also have a really hard time seeing no bonus out of RBY/Starocci/Brooks. I think two of the three will. Brands has wrestling style that keeps scores low and close, but Assad just got pinned. Find out soon enough I suppose.

2 minutes ago, MLB9 said:

What’s the reasoning behind so many picks of Siebrecht over Haines? That match to me is where Penn State is most likely to win, and a sizeable favorite, after their four returning NC matches. Is it just because Haines is a freshman?

I also have a really hard time seeing no bonus out of RBY/Starocci/Brooks. I think two of the three will. Brands has wrestling style that keeps scores low and close, but Assad just got pinned. Find out soon enough I suppose.

Abe and Brooks have wrestled twice, two decisions.  It may be that 157 is the weight PSU is most likely to win after the Champs, but he's still a relatively unproven freshman and it's a funky match up. I say that as somebody who picked Haines.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, MLB9 said:

It's likely Haines stays in redshirt and doesn't even wrestle vs Iowa.  It will be Bearclaw.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

3 hours ago, Perry said:

Either way. Just making "ballsy" predictions and "hoping" others don't make fun of me if I'm wrong lol

I think Seibrecht showed he is on Model's level right now, whereas when Haines wrestled Model I think Haines showed he was up a level from Model. Maybe Seibrecht will present problems for Haines but my gut reaction is that Haines will prove too much. 

12 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

I think Seibrecht showed he is on Model's level right now, whereas when Haines wrestled Model I think Haines showed he was up a level from Model. Maybe Seibrecht will present problems for Haines but my gut reaction is that Haines will prove too much. 

Transitive property does not always work in wrestling. Siebrecht also won by major over Kraisser ISU and Haines won by dec. I think it will be a good match and would lean Haines.

Is Siebrecht not even ranked by Flo?  It didn’t seem like it during the Wisconsin match.  Haines should definitely be favored, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Siebrecht win.  But Haines also seems like someone with good positioning that wouldn’t typically get tripped up by the funk.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is Siebrecht not even ranked by Flo?  It didn’t seem like it during the Wisconsin match.  Haines should definitely be favored, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Siebrecht win.  But Haines also seems like someone with good positioning that wouldn’t typically get tripped up by the funk.

Intermat has Haines 17 and Siebrecht 21

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Who does BTN use for their rankings? IIRC he did not have one during the Wisconsin match 

They probably use the coaches rankings which requires a minimum of 8 matches at the time of the ranking. 

16 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It's likely Haines stays in redshirt and doesn't even wrestle vs Iowa.  It will be Bearclaw.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I lean Siebrecht because of his unorthodox style and funk.  He may catch Haines feet to back.

But you picked Haines to win. Talk about hedging/ridiculousness.

All you need to be right is to predict all possible outcomes.

• Haha 1

There’s basically 4 toss ups in this dual, 149, 157, 165, and 285. Iowa has to win 3 out 4… possible but it’s a tall order. IF PSU does send Haines, I think he is the favorite. So then Iowa would need to win 3 out of 3 tossups or find an upset somewhere. Maybe 197?

5 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

There’s basically 4 toss ups in this dual, 149, 157, 165, and 285. Iowa has to win 3 out 4… possible but it’s a tall order. IF PSU does send Haines, I think he is the favorite. So then Iowa would need to win 3 out of 3 tossups or find an upset somewhere. Maybe 197?

but home mat advantage in favor of ... 🤔

... wait ill check with Jimmy and get back to all on that 🙄

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

If you're assuming Bearclaw at 157, I think Siebrecht is the favorite (but wouldn't be shocked to see Bearclaw beat him).

If you're assuming Bearclaw at 157, I think Siebrecht is the favorite (but wouldn't be shocked to see Bearclaw beat him).

Yes I agree. Depending on who PSU sends, one team would be a slight favorite but winnable either way. I guess that’s why I consider it a toss up but maybe “swing match” would be better term.

I’m pretty confident we see Haines. If they were sure of keeping his redshirt, they would’ve save one match for Iowa. I think this weekend was part of the evaluation process and Haines showed a clear separation.

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Yes I agree. Depending on who PSU sends, one team would be a slight favorite but winnable either way. I guess that’s why I consider it a toss up but maybe “swing match” would be better term.

I’m pretty confident we see Haines. If they were sure of keeping his redshirt, they would’ve save one match for Iowa. I think this weekend was part of the evaluation process and Haines showed a clear separation.

Got ya.  I thought you were saying if Haines goes it’s not a tossup but if Bearclaw goes then it is.

Edited by 1032004