Iowa v PSU - Jan. 27, 2023

Wrestleknownothing

Come on Iowa fans. Where are those homer picks?

So far, we have 23 predictions and only 5 are for Iowa to win.

The average predicted final score is PSU 19.8 - Iowa 14.5.

Though this board pretty much matches the HR view.

Their nine predictions have PSU winning by an average score of 19.3 - 14.6 with only two of them picking their own team.

There is a single brave soul so far who has taken Iowa to win more matches than PSU....on the two boards combined.

For completeness the two PSU boards have it 22.3 - 13.3 with no one favoring Iowa.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

29 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Come on Iowa fans. Where are those homer picks?

So far, we have 23 predictions and only 5 are for Iowa to win.

The average predicted final score is PSU 19.8 - Iowa 14.5.

Though this board pretty much matches the HR view.

Their nine predictions have PSU winning by an average score of 19.3 - 14.6 with only two of them picking their own team.

There is a single brave soul so far who has taken Iowa to win more matches than PSU....on the two boards combined.

For completeness the two PSU boards have it 22.3 - 13.3 with no one favoring Iowa.

No one wants to find themselves in agreement with Jimmy.  Also, proof JC has hijacked 4 other accounts, c'mon Bob - send him to the zoo!  🦓

I can see Iowa winning anywhere from one match to seven. I'm not brave enough to predict either extreme.

125- Lee pins Steen  6-0 Iowa

I think most agree this outcome is the most likely one in the dual.

133- RBY > Teske   6-4 Iowa

Teske is game, but in this dual, at home, RBY gets bonus. I'll say major, but it could be more. 

141- Woods dec. Bartlett   9-4 Iowa

This, to me, is the best match of the dual. If Bartlett wins (and he definitely can), Iowa has no chance in this dual. 

149- Murin dec. SVN   12-4 Iowa

I'm not confident with this pick. Murin is a veteran, but has one quality win all year. Van Ness hasn't shown he has the offense to beat a guy like Murin yet, thus the pick. 

157- Haines dec. Siebrecht   12-7 Iowa

Assuming it's Haines, I think he wins a 5-3 sort of match. 

165- Facundo dec. Kennedy  12-10 Iowa

Facundo is the choice for two primary reasons: 1. He's at home. 2. I expect this to be a one-point match. This one is a toss-up. I'd pick Kenedy if this were in Carver. 

174- Starocci majors Brands 14-12 PSU

Brands has wrestled a tough schedule and, to his credit, has kept things close against the top-10 guys. Problem is, he hasn't beaten either and they aren't as good as Starocci. This one could go for more than a major. 

184- Brooks dec Assad   17-12 PSU

I'd like to give Brooks more, but their bout history suggests a decision. 

197- Dean dec. Warner 20-12 PSU

Similar to Brooks/Assad, their history suggests Dean by decision. 

285- Cass dec. Kerk 20-15 PSU

Their history suggests Cass should win a decision and I'll pick that in the same fashion as 84/97 for consistency's sake, but I think Kerk is going to win this. 

26 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

I can see Iowa winning anywhere from one match to seven. I'm not brave enough to predict either extreme.

125- Lee pins Steen  6-0 Iowa

I think most agree this outcome is the most likely one in the dual.

133- RBY > Teske   6-4 Iowa

Teske is game, but in this dual, at home, RBY gets bonus. I'll say major, but it could be more. 

141- Woods dec. Bartlett   9-4 Iowa

This, to me, is the best match of the dual. If Bartlett wins (and he definitely can), Iowa has no chance in this dual. 

149- Murin dec. SVN   12-4 Iowa

I'm not confident with this pick. Murin is a veteran, but has one quality win all year. Van Ness hasn't shown he has the offense to beat a guy like Murin yet, thus the pick. 

157- Haines dec. Siebrecht   12-7 Iowa

Assuming it's Haines, I think he wins a 5-3 sort of match. 

165- Facundo dec. Kennedy  12-10 Iowa

Facundo is the choice for two primary reasons: 1. He's at home. 2. I expect this to be a one-point match. This one is a toss-up. I'd pick Kenedy if this were in Carver. 

174- Starocci majors Brands 14-12 PSU

Brands has wrestled a tough schedule and, to his credit, has kept things close against the top-10 guys. Problem is, he hasn't beaten either and they aren't as good as Starocci. This one could go for more than a major. 

184- Brooks dec Assad   17-12 PSU

I'd like to give Brooks more, but their bout history suggests a decision. 

197- Dean dec. Warner 20-12 PSU

Similar to Brooks/Assad, their history suggests Dean by decision. 

285- Cass dec. Kerk 20-15 PSU

Their history suggests Cass should win a decision and I'll pick that in the same fashion as 84/97 for consistency's sake, but I think Kerk is going to win this. 

Nice first post, Brad.

• Haha 1

With the predictions slowing down on all four boards (Intermat, HR, and the two split PSU boards) I thought it would be a good time to post of review of what we have so far. And to give you time to check for errors in my data.

The wisdom of the Intermat crowd says the final score will be....Iowa 15 - PSU 20. (HR sees it 16-19, sigh, defeatist, and BWI/On3 has it 13-23).

The 23 Seers saw it this way.

For those of you who submitted a pre-season prediction I have included both that prediction and your current prediction. Based on current predictions only (18 total) the average final score prediction would be unchanged.

image.png.e5c5d062676405c9c770a59d1bee48c7.png

image.png.6a13f74a18f578c28c1811eabf28cad7.png

Most in the Bag for PSU

Shockingly, it turns out @nhs67 is a bigger PSU fan than the self-proclaimed PSU fan @Jimmy Cinnabon (or is it @JimmyCinnabon?), as NHS edges your author out for the prize.

Is This Heaven?...It's Iowa

@Gus stands alone. Only he has the foresight to predict a 6 point Iowa win. I think we may have smoked out Tom Brands' burner account on Intermat.

Favorite Favorite

I am Become Death Destroyer of Worlds, Spencer Lee takes it in a cakewalk. Only the sweetly naïve @nhs67, @Le duke, and @VakAttack of an earlier, more innocent time thought Lee would not pin his opponent. All current projections have Lee pinning Steen, because of course. (though, as I mentioned earlier there is stunningly one guy on HR calling for a TF, WTH).

70% of you have Brooks with the major and 60% have RBY with the major, but 100% of you have take them. 

image.png.0e10c5356c7cd9d6bf57449309d683b8.png

Jump Ball

The two that have all of the current prognosticators tied in knots are Murin v Van Ness and Cassioppi v Kerkvliet. Murin v Van Ness is 9/9 and Cassioppi v Kerkvliet is 10/8 to Iowa. Haines was picked by 11, but 4 of them specified they would flip to Siebrecht if Barraclough wrestles.

image.png.5b8bf934e06b8792a9d80f1f39063be4.png

Rodney Dangerfield

Take a look at Woods v Bartlett. Intermat has this as a #2 v #4 matchup. Flo puts it at #2 v #3, and Wrestlestat has Bartlett winning 5-4 (even though they have Bartlett down at #6), but you nattering nabobs of negativism lean heavily toward Woods... on the road no less. Put some respect on that name (oops, I picked Woods too).

The Prognosticator of All Prognosticators

Finally, Wrestlestat scores it Iowa 9 - PSU 27. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
added Tyler Durden
  • Fire 4

21 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

With the predictions slowing down on all four boards (Intermat, HR, and the two split PSU boards) I thought it would be a good time to post of review of what we have so far. And to give you time to check for errors in my data.

The wisdom of the Intermat crowd says the final score will be....Iowa 15 - PSU 20. (HR sees it 16-19, sigh, defeatist, and BWI/On3 has it 13-23).

For those of you who submitted a pre-season prediction I have included both that prediction and your current prediction. Based on current predictions only (18 total) the average final score prediction would be unchanged.

Most in the Bag for PSU

Shockingly, it turns out @nhs67 is a bigger PSU fan than the self-proclaimed PSU fan @Jimmy Cinnabon (or is it @JimmyCinnabon?), as NHS edges your author out for the prize.

@Gus stands alone. Only he has the foresight to predict a 6 point Iowa win. I think we may have smoked out Tom Brands' burner account on Intermat.

Favorite Favorite

I am Become Death Destroyer of Worlds, Spencer Lee takes it in a cakewalk. Only the sweetly naïve @nhs67, @Le duke, and @VakAttack of an earlier, more innocent time thought Lee would not pin his opponent. All current projections have Lee pinning Steen, because of course. (though, as I mentioned earlier there is stunningly one guy on HR calling for a TF, WTH).

70% of you have Brooks with the major and 60% have RBY with the major, but 100% of you have take them. 

Jump Ball

The two that have all of the current prognosticators tied in knots are Murin v Van Ness and Cassioppi v Kerkvliet. Murin v Van Ness is 9/9 and Cassioppi v Kerkvliet is 10/8 to Iowa. Haines was picked by 11, but 4 of them specified they would flip to Siebrecht if Barraclough wrestles.

Rodney Dangerfield

Take a look at Woods v Bartlett. Intermat has this as a #2 v #4 matchup. Flo puts it at #2 v #3, and Wrestlestat has Bartlett winning 5-4 (even though they have Bartlett down at #6), but you nattering nabobs of negativism lean heavily toward Woods... on the road no less. Put some respect on that name (oops, I picked Woods too).

I actually had the match score 18-18 with a 5-5 split and Iowa winning on criteria (Spencer pin). And my match score assumed Bear Claw at 157 for PSU and Kolby Franklin at 197 for Iowa.

39 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Most in the Bag for PSU

Favorite Favorite

Jump Ball

Rodney Dangerfield

Great stuff!

31 minutes ago, Gus said:

I actually had the match score 18-18 with a 5-5 split and Iowa winning on criteria (Spencer pin). And my match score assumed Bear Claw at 157 for PSU and Kolby Franklin at 197 for Iowa.

Youch. Messed that up. I will fix it. Thanks for proofreading me.

Edit:

I had Cassioppi and Kerkvliet reversed for you. Fixed it, but it does not change the overall score average since I am rounding to whole points.

image.png.4e188bc87a24c07f122f32b5d4e16f8d.png

As for who you picked to lose, I only recorded who was picked to win, which is why you do not see Franklin or Barraclough listed (or Steen, Teske, Brands or Assad for that matter).

P.S. while several others picked Iowa to win by more, I stand by my claim that this is Brands' burner account.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Youch. Messed that up. I will fix it. Thanks for proofreading me.

Edit:

I had Cassioppi and Kerkvliet reversed for you. Fixed it, but it does not change the overall score average since I am rounding to whole points.

image.png.4e188bc87a24c07f122f32b5d4e16f8d.png

As for who you picked to lose, I only recorded who was picked to win, which is why you do not see Franklin or Barraclough listed (or Steen, Teske, Brands or Assad for that matter).

P.S. while several others picked Iowa to win by more, I stand by my claim that this is Brands' burner account.

The Wiscy HWT was oiled up; and you can print that!

• Haha 3

125- Lee pinfall Steen 

133- RBY decision Teske

141- Woods decision Bartlett

149- Murin decision VanNess 

157- Haines decision Siebrecht (Seabring beats Pastry, alt score 21-13)

165- Kennedy decision Facundo

174- Starocci major decision Brands

184- Brooks decision Assad

197- Dean decision Warner 

285- Cassioppi decision Kerkvliet

Iowa 18

PSU 16

14 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

125- Lee pinfall Steen 

133- RBY decision Teske

141- Woods decision Bartlett

149- Murin decision VanNess 

157- Haines decision Siebrecht (Seabring beats Pastry, alt score 21-13)

165- Kennedy decision Facundo

174- Starocci major decision Brands

184- Brooks decision Assad

197- Dean decision Warner 

285- Cassioppi decision Kerkvliet

Iowa 18

PSU 16

props for the proper use of pinfall

• Fire 1

I have PSU winning. Close, 18-15, 20-12. For some reason, I don’t see SVN going on bottom to allow woods to try for the tilt. I think SVN can beat him from Neutral. After 4 min, I believe the match is SVN to win. Woods tank isn’t deep yet, and if close after 1.5 periods, SVN wins a close one. 

1 hour ago, MizzouFan01 said:

I have PSU winning. Close, 18-15, 20-12. For some reason, I don’t see SVN going on bottom to allow woods to try for the tilt. I think SVN can beat him from Neutral. After 4 min, I believe the match is SVN to win. Woods tank isn’t deep yet, and if close after 1.5 periods, SVN wins a close one. 

That's a lot of commentary about a match that's not going to happen. SVN is wrestling 149; Woods is at 141. Bartlett will meet Woods, and I agree with one conclusion from Wrestleknownothing, namely that 17 people choosing Woods and only one choosing Bartlett is the biggest surprise here. Now if we were calling the match according to who will be in the lead after the first period, I would agree with the Woods supporters. Unfortunately for Woods, it's a seven-minute match, and I predict that he gasses. 

18 minutes ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

That's a lot of commentary about a match that's not going to happen. SVN is wrestling 149; Woods is at 141. Bartlett will meet Woods, and I agree with one conclusion from Wrestleknownothing, namely that 17 people choosing Woods and only one choosing Bartlett is the biggest surprise here. Now if we were calling the match according to who will be in the lead after the first period, I would agree with the Woods supporters. Unfortunately for Woods, it's a seven-minute match, and I predict that he gasses. 

Yes, you’re correct, I was thinking  Bartlett but for some reason kept typing SVN.