Should Fix hang up the boots?

He can't get it done when it counts. Never has been able to. Can't beat the top guys, and can't make the lighter weight, and wouldn't matter if he did because he isn't beating Spencer.  Too short for his current weight. Plus he just lost to a high school kid. Where does he go from here? MMA? 

1 minute ago, Saylors_Tiny_Willie said:

Fix should wrestle until he doesn't want to any more.

You should STFU.

This is a forum for talking about wrestling. My topic is totally in bounds and you are getting triggered really easily. You gotta calm down buddy. Its not healthy. 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1
  • Poopy 1

2 minutes ago, Saylors_Tiny_Willie said:

I'm responding with wrestling information.

The fact that you don't like it is simply hilarious.

So Fix should hang it up? I agree. He is washed. Was a good career, but its time to move on. Perhaps Stillwater High School needs a coach? 

• Clown 2

Well obviously it’s always up to the individual, but with the amount of talent emerging it might be difficult for some to hang on and really be a factor on the national and international stage. I know that we just witnessed JB make his 12th team, but JB as well as SnyderMan, DT, Dake and some others are exceptional talents who have found a way to extend their careers. I don’t know what the what the average international career length is but I have to think it’s probably one Olympic cycle where an individual can really have a significant chance to be successful. 

I don't see any path for him to make a world/olympic team at this point.  He's not dropping to 57 and beating spencer.  he's not beating Vito at 61, he just lost to a HS at 61.  I think his window has closed.  I think he should move on to the next phase in life, but if he wants to keep trying to live the dream, who am I to tell him he can't.

• Fire 1

He looked the best I have seen him in some time until the Blaze match.. Perhaps Blaze is just that good. He has a better training situation now than he has ever had and is probably making good money from the cowboy RTC with their newfound money man. If he loves, it still and is making good enough money, why would he hang it up.

10 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

He can't get it done when it counts. Never has been able to. Can't beat the top guys, and can't make the lighter weight, and wouldn't matter if he did because he isn't beating Spencer.  Too short for his current weight. Plus he just lost to a high school kid. Where does he go from here? MMA? 

He is a Junior World Champ and a Senior World Silver Medalist.  Some may say this is getting it done, but I realize this is subjective.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

28 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

He looked the best I have seen him in some time until the Blaze match.. Perhaps Blaze is just that good. He has a better training situation now than he has ever had and is probably making good money from the cowboy RTC with their newfound money man. If he loves, it still and is making good enough money, why would he hang it up.

I'll add that Fix is only 26. 

And Blaze isn't just any HS kid - He picked off 3 former world team members.

I agree, as long Fix is healthy and happy...I imagine he'll go until 2028. 

If he wants to keep wrestling and can afford to, of course it's his preference.

Whether he can be successful and make world teams is another question.  The last match over the weekend shows why that's unlikely.  He just wrestles very conservatively in important matches and invariably the opponent makes something happen and beats him.  

There is only one reason to think this might change -- a good year with the new coaches, if they can find a way to get him to open up.  Maybe Taylor's example on the mat could trigger something and maybe Taylor's coaching could get him the confidence he needs in the key situations to score.

14 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

He hasn't been able to get it done when it counts?  He has beaten everyone the US had to throw at him at least two years and then also won multiple age level world titles (and medals).

Are you defining 'when it counts' as winning senior worlds golds every year?  If that is the case, the USA doesn't have anyone getting it done 'when it counts' and everyone should hang them up.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

53 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He hasn't been able to get it done when it counts?  He has beaten everyone the US had to throw at him at least two years and then also won multiple age level world titles (and medals).

Are you defining 'when it counts' as winning senior worlds golds every year?  If that is the case, the USA doesn't have anyone getting it done 'when it counts' and everyone should hang them up.

4 time ncaa runner up. Loses to high school kid at WTT, and loses in world finals. The goal for our country is gold medals. He has shown he is allergic. 

• Clown 1

4 minutes ago, WrestlingRash said:

4 time ncaa runner up. Loses to high school kid at WTT, and loses in world finals. The goal for our country is gold medals. He has shown he is allergic. 

his losses at the senior level since 2018 (he was 20). Thomas gillman (world champ), Vito (world champ), Abasghadzi (world champ), Takahashi (world champ), Gross (finished top 5 at worlds), Blaze (could very well be top 5 in the world) and a man from China I don't know his accolades. Fix is still a top 10 guy at 61kg in the world we would have absolutely no depth if every guy stopped wrestling because they have top of the world guys at their weight. Blaze is going to grow into a 65kg and Vito has injury issues if you told me fix was our rep in any of 2025,2026,2027 I would not be surprised.

As an OSU fan I'm perpetually bummed out by Fix's "almost there" results. He needs to stop being so scared of taking a risky shot in a close match because its been proven that for him its riskier to NOT take a risky shot. However if every "almost there" athlete quit there would be no room guys, no JV or B team, no fill-ins, and no Cinderella stories so I see no sense in actually encouraging somebody to hang it up. Fix has expressed that he wants to coach, but he's a pretty quiet guy so he'll either need to get some hardware or come out of his shell interpersonally if he wants to embrace that kind of role. Really don't see him going the MMA route.

Fix has a chance against anyone in this country.  He's beaten them all Gilman, Gross, Arujau, Lee, Suriano.

I would bet against Fix beating Arujau at 133lbs, but down at 57kg it's different.  Fix could get it done there. He could be the rep in 4 years.

He absolutely needs to keep competing. The guy is great to have on the ladder. Fix is almost always the runner-up in pretty much every tournament that he enters, so he's an ideal alternate. If something happens with the starter and they need to put Fix in, he's very likely going to at least bring home a silver medal. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

He absolutely needs to keep competing. The guy is great to have on the ladder. Fix is almost always the runner-up in pretty much every tournament that he enters, so he's an ideal alternate. If something happens with the starter and they need to put Fix in, he's very likely going to at least bring home a silver medal. 

the way some people talk you shouldn't compete if your not automatically on the team.

I really respect Zach Sanders because he competed for a long time and never got anywhere internationally, and some dufus on twitter told him he should quit, and his response was just "why?"

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

the way some people talk you shouldn't compete if your not automatically on the team.
I really respect Zach Sanders because he competed for a long time and never got anywhere internationally, and some dufus on twitter told him he should quit, and his response was just "why?"

Exactly. People weren’t clamoring for Zane Richards to retire before or after he made a world team.
  • Bob 1