WTT Finals Thread

peanut

Feel good about everyone on our mens team bringing home a medal. If Ghasempour and Sadulaev go at 92 that will obviously be a brutal field but I think DT looked great. 

Blaze is obviously the main talking point for guys that did not win but I was also super impressed with Duke and Forrest as usual. Levi also looked really really good that shot he pulled in on Keegan was insane.

Guys that were a bit disappointing for me were Keegan and Mirasola. Keegan probably should have teched Carr that rear standing stalemate was insane but from there he did not score another point in the tournament. I thought Mirasola was really going to push to be a top 5ish guy here and he just was not. 

would have liked to see Cardenas go through the entire backside he killed everyone outside of the Jacques match.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/12791900-2024-world-team-trials/videos?playing=12840507&limit=60

JB calling out PSU fans, coaches, and wrestlers for how we acted at OTT.

Yeah this needs to get explained in a meaningful way. As of now I'm assuming that idiot in the stands is deep in burroughs head.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

3 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Yeah this needs to get explained in a meaningful way. As of now I'm assuming that idiot in the stands is deep in burroughs head.

The fans part I get. He got booed by the fans, and then there was that dipshit in a PSU shirt leaning over the railing and getting into it with JB. But is he really that upset with Mesenbrink still? Seems silly. Or is there something Nolf did or said? Seems unlikely. And what is his beef with the coaches?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The fans part I get. He got booed by the fans, and then there was that dipshit in a PSU shirt leaning over the railing and getting into it with JB. But is he really that upset with Mesenbrink still? Seems silly. Or is there something Nolf did or said? Seems unlikely. And what is his beef with the coaches?

If it wasn't for Nickal's weird unexplained disdain for JB, I would assume that Burroughs was just sort of haunted by the idea that his career would end on an upset loss and getting smack talked by an idiot.

but nickal's weirdness and burrough's insistence on saying "fans, wrestlers, coaches" makes me think there is some sort of story that's not out. I bet its surprisingly boring but maybe its out there.

Pyles will beat the bushes till the truth comes out. Oh wait I mean he will summarize what I said in a 20 minute video and try to kiss the butt of everyone involved at the same time.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Lot going on with the Penn State thing, which seems to have started at the NCAAs with Starocci and then blew up in the arena at OTTs.  I'm on his side, my view there was nothing wrong about what he said about Starocci as a potential competitor -- it gave insight into his competitiveness, which sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but should be understood for what it is and what it has produced:  An extraordinary wrestler and an extraordinary man.  All American wrestling fans should be grateful for his presence in and contributions to the sport.

• Brain 1

2 hours ago, dragit said:

Lot going on with the Penn State thing, which seems to have started at the NCAAs with Starocci and then blew up in the arena at OTTs.  I'm on his side, my view there was nothing wrong about what he said about Starocci as a potential competitor -- it gave insight into his competitiveness, which sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but should be understood for what it is and what it has produced:  An extraordinary wrestler and an extraordinary man.  All American wrestling fans should be grateful for his presence in and contributions to the sport.

I've always liked JB, and agree he's taken a couple insults from PSU people, but overall I think he's acting butthurt here, and painting with too broad a brush.

I heard the Starocci comment live, and winced when I heard it.  It was honest, but I remember thinking, c'mon, kids look up to you, you can't be saying it's a good idea to attack an injury.  Not a huge deal, but one of those things better left unsaid.

Starocci defended himself, but it was pretty mild by his standards.  Nickal also came to his defense, and I'll say I did think his Nickal's comments went too far.  I get the sense there's some sort of prior beef between those two that we're not privy to.  But Nickal is just one guy, not all of PSU.

At OTTs, I thought JB was way out of line with Mesenbrink.  Yes, Mesenbrink was pretty physical, but nothing that warranted JB's big shove at the end, and refusal to shake hands.  I'd have booed JB for that too.  I think that was the point that the PSU crowd turned against him:  he sort of became a villain for bullying a PSU freshman, and so when Nolf knocked JB off, he didn't get the send-off he might have wanted.

Yes, we can all agree that the one anonymous douchebag PSU fan who taunted him after the Nolf match was out of line.  But it was just one guy.  The remaining reaction was pretty mild, a mix of cheers and a few boos, the latter of which were just leftovers from Mesenbrink.

None of the PSU coaches have done anything to him.  I do think they coach up their wrestlers to be extra aggressive against JB, something we saw with Haines this weekend too, but that isn't rocket science:  get in JB's face and don't give him space.  JB's their competition at 74/79kg, and they treat him as such.

Bottom line is yeah, there's some bad blood after the JB's Starocci comment, Nickal's comments and the hostilities in the Mesenbring match, but JB played a role in all that.  Anyone who's been to an Eagles game can tell you that PA has some boo-birds, but it was mild except for the actions of one jackass.  Seems to me like JB really let some of this get to his head, and he made it bigger than it was.

In a weird way, it may have been wrestling's gain, as maybe it was the desire to not let things end on that bitter OTT note that led JB coming back.  But you always hate to hear a guy lose affection for the sport.

Dunno.  Let's hope it's over, and hope JB runs the table at worlds.  

• Fire 1
  • Clown 1

21 minutes ago, BAC said:

I've always liked JB, and agree he's taken a couple insults from PSU people, but overall I think he's acting butthurt here, and painting with too broad a brush.

I heard the Starocci comment live, and winced when I heard it.  It was honest, but I remember thinking, c'mon, kids look up to you, you can't be saying it's a good idea to attack an injury.  Not a huge deal, but one of those things better left unsaid.

Starocci defended himself, but it was pretty mild by his standards.  Nickal also came to his defense, and I'll say I did think his Nickal's comments went too far.  I get the sense there's some sort of prior beef between those two that we're not privy to.  But Nickal is just one guy, not all of PSU.

At OTTs, I thought JB was way out of line with Mesenbrink.  Yes, Mesenbrink was pretty physical, but nothing that warranted JB's big shove at the end, and refusal to shake hands.  I'd have booed JB for that too.  I think that was the point that the PSU crowd turned against him:  he sort of became a villain for bullying a PSU freshman, and so when Nolf knocked JB off, he didn't get the send-off he might have wanted.

Yes, we can all agree that the one anonymous douchebag PSU fan who taunted him after the Nolf match was out of line.  But it was just one guy.  The remaining reaction was pretty mild, a mix of cheers and a few boos, the latter of which were just leftovers from Mesenbrink.

None of the PSU coaches have done anything to him.  I do think they coach up their wrestlers to be extra aggressive against JB, something we saw with Haines this weekend too, but that isn't rocket science:  get in JB's face and don't give him space.  JB's their competition at 74/79kg, and they treat him as such.

Bottom line is yeah, there's some bad blood after the JB's Starocci comment, Nickal's comments and the hostilities in the Mesenbring match, but JB played a role in all that.  Anyone who's been to an Eagles game can tell you that PA has some boo-birds, but it was mild except for the actions of one jackass.  Seems to me like JB really let some of this get to his head, and he made it bigger than it was.

In a weird way, it may have been wrestling's gain, as maybe it was the desire to not let things end on that bitter OTT note that led JB coming back.  But you always hate to hear a guy lose affection for the sport.

Dunno.  Let's hope it's over, and hope JB runs the table at worlds.  

Penn State loves Joe Paterno.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, peanut said:

LOL at people trying to mansplain what JB experienced and how he should feel.

It's almost as if they think they were the GOAT and all that jazz... (they aren't)...

The way I see it is that Penn State has gotten so good... became the best at every aspect of the highest level of wrestling in the USA, aside for one person:  Burroughs.  He has owned every series against every NLWC and Penn State gent.  People are 'haters' for that.

Despite being the most watched and 'coached for' wrestler on the planet, JB still is the best on the planet - you can't stop him.  He will win worlds.

• Bob 3
  • Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On a different note, DT said in his post-match interview he might not go to Senior Worlds.  I'm guessing he goes, but if he doesn't -- who does?  Do they just automatically give it to Zahid, or schedule a wrestle-off between him and Hidlay?  I hope it's the latter, as it doesn't seem fair that they'd just hand the spot to Zahid, who can't say he outperformed Hidlay.  Even so, USAW needs time to schedule the wrestle-off and for the winner to prepare, so I hope they're contacting DT and saying hey man, we need your final word on this within 2-3 days.  

JB was right to call it out and he earned the right. And he did it in a post-victory interview, not in a whiny social media ragebait post when he was sitting alone on the toilet. That alone gets my respect. Plus his Starocci comment was so benign, it was one thing he said in a whole sea of thoughtful commentary. From everything I can tell JB is a class act.

• Brain 2