Zain retires

8 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He just posted on his IG what sounds like a retirement message. Congrats Zain Train, I’ll always be a fan!

why are you tarnishing the announcement?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

18 hours ago, de4856 said:

Zain had a great career and was a tenacious competitor. I never met him but he seemed like an outstanding person as well. Best of luck to him in all of his future endeavors. 

He is a great guy from a great family. Hard working and humble.  

Two of the strongest biggest gas tank most dominant and best collegiate wrestlers ever in Metcalf and zain couldn't break through internationally at 65

Now how are we gonna fair with guys not in that class. Zain was a horse. No more horses to take overseas. 

51 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Two of the strongest biggest gas tank most dominant and best collegiate wrestlers ever in Metcalf and zain couldn't break through internationally at 65

Now how are we gonna fair with guys not in that class. Zain was a horse. No more horses to take overseas. 

Strength and conditioning are obviously important in this sport. But we're so far behind in technique and the international styles rely on technique. Rules are set up to enhance technical advantages. Years ago (60s/70s?) there were 3 3 minute periods. When the Americans started to surge they cut it to 2 periods (and 1 5 for a short while). And even when our conditioning started to make a difference the Soviets seemed like they could score while tired.

I don't want this to sound like American wrestlers and coaches don't know the techniques but our reliance on competing rather than training means we might know the moves but can't use them when they count.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

1 hour ago, alliseeisgold said:

They lacked the required other skill sets to dominate in freestyle at the world senior level 

51 minutes ago, scribers said:

They lacked the required other skill sets to dominate in freestyle at the world senior level 

Guess we should send our guys to Jeff Buxton to learn the gut wrench that Rivera has

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Guess we should send our guys to Jeff Buxton to learn the gut wrench that Rivera has

It certainly wouldn't hurt our guys learn a solid gut wrench. 

Edited by The Kid

On 8/17/2024 at 2:54 AM, The Kid said:

He is a great guy from a great family. Hard working and humble.  

I was talking with Russ Hughes at the 2012 State(s) Tournament in Hershey and after introducing me to him, he told me that Zain was going to do big things at the next levels.

Russ wasn't one for hyperbole but I was a little surprised, although not shocked, at his achievements his true frosh year at Penn State. When he came off of his RS all surprise was gone.

Best to him in whatever comes next!

He's got a world title and 4 more years to the next Olympics is a loooong time to remain motivated, particularly efor maintaining weight.  Sometime off relaxing is the best he can do to allow the brain cells to recover.  We'll see his as an early hire next spring.  Personally, I was hoping Rutgers was holding off on their vacancy in order to get a commitment from him post Olympics.

Edited by RYou