David Taylor kicks started Jordan Williams off the team!

poke1

12 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I've been arrested more than twice and turned out fine by the generic definition

That’s good. Hopefully Jordan does the same. I believe he will.

But the fact of the matter is if you get arrested for essentially the same crime within a year you clearly have some issues you need to work on. 

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

That’s good. Hopefully Jordan does the same. I believe he will.

But the fact of the matter is if you get arrested for essentially the same crime within a year you clearly have some issues you need to work on. 

I think its possible that he's also just young and naive, but maybe the issue is subtlety.  In any event, I think its a good reason for a new start elsewhere.

Ionel is adamant that this kid had multiple chances ... or maybe more ... to stop embarrassing himself, his team, and his school. He did not. He is a kid with some potential but had not yet realized this potential in terms of AAs or NCAA points. 

Am I wrong to assume that similar accommodations were made for many potentially solid wrestlers under the old coaching staff? What about truly great wrestlers: were they more or less allowed to run wild as long as they won (Brian Bosworth situations)? How long had this been going on? Since Chesbro? Before?

It's impressive that a team known for hard living, hard cutting, and hard training cycles and was led by a coach who seemed to hate his athletes was successful for decades. Plus there was that asshole EG. 

Hats off. 

Edited by jackwebster

6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I've been arrested more than twice and turned out fine by the generic definition

Got you for bangin' hookers, too?

• Haha 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 8/15/2024 at 8:04 PM, feet2back said:

You can get into Rider if you can show a picture you once Graduated from any Middle School

I think the same is true for Kent State...Kent read, Kent write, Kent State! 

33 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He is not in the portal that I am aware of.

It seems Iowa has shown that doesn’t matter 😀

I don’t really think he will transfer, but I wouldn’t be shocked.  Wasn’t the thought that he might redshirt this year anyway?

• Bob 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:50 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

I see a lot of holier than thou takes on Williams , a lot of grown ass adults judging this kid but the reality is the kids father is in prison , his mother isn’t in his life and he doesn’t have much guidance , Coleman Scott and his wife were his support system last year and checked on him daily to try and keep him in line then after one year at school his support system is gone , I would bet 95 percent of you have no idea what’s it’s like to be 18 and have no parents to help you and no support system ( nevermind while wrestling D1 at one of the most prestigious programs in the sport) ,save your judgements and just hope this young man finds a place where he can get it right because the talent is there and he’s a great kid overall 

look, If Marcus is in prison today that is news to me. He WAS in prison until Jordan was in middle school and grandpa was raising him. Grandpa was STRICT and kept him on a tight rope. When Dad got out of prison, he was very involved and also strict. They were really hard on him when it came to wrestling, and they spent a lot of time on him, ALOT. JW is a good kid, and has a kind heart but I would argue wrestling was too much of a priority and learning to be a man was not. He figured out early that he could get away with stuff because he was a good wrestler. No class, etc. He was never a mean kid, just figured out how to manipulate things to get this way. MY Two cents, they were so strict that when he got away to college, he ran like a scalded dog, nobody telling him what to do etc, when he got to college. JSmith, sure as hell didn't help him. MANY, MANY stories behind that, but I am not going to get into it. My point? I am not buying the victim of no parents, he was taught the wrong values. A big time name in the wrestling community has reached out to try and help him, if he wants to talk about it he can. JW is a great kid, that just went the wrong path, but if he could get a good mentor, that cares more about him than how many W's he gets, he could turn this thing around. 

• Fire 1
  • Potato 1

18 hours ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

ou will pick him up. he has been arrested multiple times. just how they like it 

I love when OSU fans talk out their cheeks. You have no idea what you are talking about, I could write a book on stuff I know that has gone on at OSU in the past 5 years. Cover ups, lawyers to make it go away crap. Ferrari alone could be a chapter, and it all was brushed under the rug. You ought to set this one out talking about other schools. DT will for sure have his work cut out. I would bet 2-3 guys get caught or kicked off in the next year. 

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, H82Lose said:

I love when OSU fans talk out their cheeks. You have no idea what you are talking about, I could write a book on stuff I know that has gone on at OSU in the past 5 years. Cover ups, lawyers to make it go away crap. Ferrari alone could be a chapter, and it all was brushed under the rug. You ought to set this one out talking about other schools. DT will for sure have his work cut out. I would bet 2-3 guys get caught or kicked off in the next year. 

Write that book. Do it!

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Ionel is adamant that this kid had multiple chances ... or maybe more ... to stop embarrassing himself, his team, and his school. He did not. He is a kid with some potential but had not yet realized this potential in terms of AAs or NCAA points. 

Am I wrong to assume that similar accommodations were made for many potentially solid wrestlers under the old coaching staff? What about truly great wrestlers: were they more or less allowed to run wild as long as they won (Brian Bosworth situations)? How long had this been going on? Since Chesbro? Before?

It's impressive that a team known for hard living, hard cutting, and hard training cycles and was led by a coach who seemed to hate his athletes was successful for decades. Plus there was that asshole EG. 

Hats off. 

From what I can tell it was around the 10th chance. Maybe more. Just bits gleaned from media days, duals, and other pieces of being an over invested Cowboy fan. Consistent “if JW can get his head on straight” stuff for many years. 

• Bob 2

14 hours ago, H82Lose said:

... and, yet, this still sounds like an optimistic post to me.

At this point, I really like the direction OSU is going. It's genuinely exciting to see what this team can do this season.

OSU just got added to the 'must watch' list of teams.

20 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Hats off. 

It's absurd you keep pushing this idea that John Smith was known for hating his athletes.  I've probably seen you say something like that a dozen times on here.  It's a fairy tale with no basis in reality and I'm not sure why you keep saying it.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, boconnell said:

It's absurd you keep pushing this idea that John Smith was known for hating his athletes.  I've probably seen you say something like that a dozen times on here.  It's a fairy tale with no basis in reality and I'm not sure why you keep saying it.

You're right. The shtick was kinda funny the first few times, but it's lame now. Thanks for the real talk.

I took a peek at the OSU forum, there was some innuendo about Williams, such as a post from June saying that Williams had “been getting in trouble,” some from November saying that he “continues to make poor choices” which led to him being in the “doghouse” at one point. But even among their fans it didn’t really seem to common knowledge though

Edited by 1032004

6 hours ago, boconnell said:

I'm not sure why you keep saying it.

Oh... I watched a practice vid where Chris Notte was cutting up while JWS was going over a technique. Smith just gave him a cold stare and everyone turned and did the same. A moment later Notte rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders. I drew the conclusion that there was a tension in the room.

After that, I started noticing how often Smith looked disgusted with his athletes when they walked off the mat. It didn't much matter if they won or lost. Nobody got a pass, but Heil really seemed to get under his skin. 

Yeah, we saw a different reactions with Dieffenbach over Perry, Picc over Lee, Perry over Brown, etc. But, man, Jamal Parks must have had a tough time.

In any event, that's how it started. And, I'll let it drop from this point on.

Edited by jackwebster

9 hours ago, jackwebster said:

You're right. The shtick was kinda funny the first few times, but it's lame now. Thanks for the real talk.

Thanks for letting me be defensive and angry and not turning it into a thing.  John Smith is definitely not about having fun.  I think if you wanted to say he looked miserable lots of the time, I'd agree.  I just don't think it was connected to whether he loved his guys (most of them at least).  

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I took a peek at the OSU forum, there was some innuendo about Williams, such as a post from June saying that Williams had “been getting in trouble,” some from November saying that he “continues to make poor choices” which led to him being in the “doghouse” at one point. But even among their fans it didn’t really seem to common knowledge though

The OSU forum also had some talk after Taylor was first hired that Williams had talked repeatedly about not continuing in the sport.  It seems like he's just a young man who is still figuring out life.  He seems to want a few different things that are not totally compatible.  That makes him like most young men, but also makes him unlikely to reach all of his considerable wrestling potential.  

I'm sad to see him go.  He was a ton of fun to watch.  Every minute he was on the mat I felt like I might see that incredible duck under he hits.