The source of Trump's "getting things done"

1986 is when many people formed the opinion that Trump could do what the government could not.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/15/nyregion/about-new-york-pssst-here-s-a-secret-trump-rebuilds-ice-rink.html

Donald J. Trump refurbished the Central Park -skating rink two and a half months ahead of his own speedy six-month schedule and $750,000 below his own projected $3 million budget, having taken over the project after the city spent six years and $12 million unsuccessfully trying to get the job done.

''He built the most fabulous rink I have ever seen,'' said Vera Banchet, watching her daughter skate. ''I saw Trump on TV again last night. If I may say so, he is not one to hide his light under a bushel.''

At the opening a few potential mayoral candidates showed up to wonder aloud why the city couldn't do the job.

''I don't really care about Trump's ego or the attention he's grabbing,'' said George Rinaldi, a skater at the rink, who echoed the sentiments of many others. ''It's a great rink and he is a great man. Anybody who can get anything done right and done on time in New York is a bona fide hero. He should get a ticker-tape parade.''

• Bob 2
  • Jagger 1

27 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

He did a great job with the wall....oh wait.

What did he actually get done? He's running on the exact same platform he ran on in 2016. Seems like all the issues he promised to fix are still there, no?

Checks and balances prevented Trump from getting the wall done.  

• Bob 2

32 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

What did he actually get done? He's running on the exact same platform he ran on in 2016. Seems like all the issues he promised to fix are still there, no?

He did all that was possible considering the Paul Ryans and John McCains he had to deal with.  And the ‘collusion’ travesty.  You are aware that the Court recently told Biden he had to continue building the wall, aren’t you?

Edited by Offthemat
  • Bob 1

Correct, the Ds stopped him from being able to do what he wanted.   So too late, he decided he could move money around and get it done.   Biden stopped that on day one.  

mspart

• Bob 1

I am confused...why are some of you complaining that Trump didn't execute on some of his campaign promises but also complained about what his campaign promises were???  Did you like them or not??

And as people mentioned...remove Trump from the equation...the way our government works is there are checks and balances so a President can't come in and unilateral make changes and policy.   So all this dictator/tyrant/etc. talk no matter who is running is just silly.

• Bob 2

3 hours ago, jross said:

1986 is when many people formed the opinion that Trump could do what the government could not.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/15/nyregion/about-new-york-pssst-here-s-a-secret-trump-rebuilds-ice-rink.html

Donald J. Trump refurbished the Central Park -skating rink two and a half months ahead of his own speedy six-month schedule and $750,000 below his own projected $3 million budget, having taken over the project after the city spent six years and $12 million unsuccessfully trying to get the job done.

''He built the most fabulous rink I have ever seen,'' said Vera Banchet, watching her daughter skate. ''I saw Trump on TV again last night. If I may say so, he is not one to hide his light under a bushel.''

At the opening a few potential mayoral candidates showed up to wonder aloud why the city couldn't do the job.

''I don't really care about Trump's ego or the attention he's grabbing,'' said George Rinaldi, a skater at the rink, who echoed the sentiments of many others. ''It's a great rink and he is a great man. Anybody who can get anything done right and done on time in New York is a bona fide hero. He should get a ticker-tape parade.''

I would be happy if he stuck to building ice rinks.

• Haha 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I am confused...why are some of you complaining that Trump didn't execute on some of his campaign promises but also complained about what his campaign promises were???  Did you like them or not??

And as people mentioned...remove Trump from the equation...the way our government works is there are checks and balances so a President can't come in and unilateral make changes and policy.   So all this dictator/tyrant/etc. talk no matter who is running is just silly.

but but ... he's mean! 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

When Biden took office there was 260 million dollars' worth of material at the border ready to be put up. Biden approved selling it off at auction for pennies on the dollar. There were also signed contracts in place to put up the wall. I'm not sure if those were paid or not.

• Bob 1

23 hours ago, jross said:

Checks and balances prevented Trump from getting the wall done.  

Okay, so how is he going to get things done this time? Throw out the constitution?

23 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

I'm glad he didn't build a wall. It's stupid and a waste of money.

The reason for pointing it out is because the whole premise of this thread is that he "gets things done," which he doesn't. He's subject to the same partisan gridlock that Biden was and he will be subject to it again.

He didn't "get things done" better than any other potential candidate. In fact, I think it's more likely a non-Trump Republican would be able to get more done because more conservative dems would be willing to sign onto things that weren't directly tied to him.

You like Trump because he scratches your itches with his rhetoric, not because he's actually an effective President.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Okay, so how is he going to get things done this time? Throw out the constitution?  (Through executive order and legislation).

I'm glad he didn't build a wall. It's stupid and a waste of money. (Why)

The reason for pointing it out is because the whole premise of this thread is that he "gets things done," which he doesn't (False). He's subject to the same partisan gridlock that Biden was and he will be subject to it again. (True)

He didn't "get things done" better than any other potential candidate (How do you know this?). In fact, I think it's more likely a non-Trump Republican would be able to get more done because more conservative dems would be willing to sign onto things that weren't directly tied to him.

You like Trump because he scratches your itches with his rhetoric, not because he's actually an effective President. (False.  You wouldn't know)

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, jross said:

1. Executive order and legislation existed his last term and he failed. What's different this time around? 

2A) I don't think illegal immigration is near the top of this country's problems.

2B) A wall doesn't solve illegal immigration. They'll find ways around it and it does nothing to address people here on expired visas which is about half of the country's illegal immigrants.

3) What's his biggest achievement? All of the problems he said he'd fix are the same problems that exist today.

4) What's the biggest impact he had on the country? Didn't build a wall. Economy grew around the same rate as Obama until the pandemic. Certainly didn't stop the pandemic from ruining the economy. Deported less people than Obama. Failed to repeal ObamaCare. The Swamp is still there. So, what's the big achievement? A tax cut? I think most Republicans could have gotten that tax bill passed under the same circumstances. 

5) Your number 1 thing on here is "personal accountability" and Trump is one of the least accountable people I've ever seen. Everything is always someone else's fault.

17 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

5) Your number 1 thing on here is "personal accountability" and Trump is one of the least accountable people I've ever seen. Everything is always someone else's fault.

I like Trump's policies because I align more with his than any other candidate.  I like Trump's business background and negotiation abilities.  I dislike Trump's NYC brashness while respecting his directness.  I'm MAGA with or without Trump.

MAGA agenda...

• prioritize America-First foreign policy (less involvement in international conflicts and alliances)
  • conservative judges
  • increase manufacturing in America
  • trade policy that protects America
  • support for law enforcement and reducing illegal immigration
  • less government interference
  • family values

1 minute ago, jross said:

I like Trump's policies because I align more with his than any other candidate.  I like Trump's business background and negotiation abilities.  I dislike Trump's NYC brashness while respecting his directness.  I'm MAGA with or without Trump.

MAGA agenda...

• prioritize America-First foreign policy (less involvement in international conflicts and alliances)
  • conservative judges
  • increase manufacturing in America
  • trade policy that protects America
  • support for law enforcement and reducing illegal immigration
  • less government interference
  • family values

Okay, so you admit he doesn't actually get things done better than anybody else?

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Okay, so you admit he doesn't actually get things done better than anybody else?

I would say Joe Biden and now Kamala, was and will be the least effective Presidents tied with jimmy Carter.

32 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

2B) A wall doesn't solve illegal immigration. They'll find ways around it and it does nothing to address people here on expired visas which is about half of the country's illegal immigrants.

A wall isn’t the full solution, but it proven to help in many situations. Even Customs officials acknowledge its benefits.

Your data on visa overstays is outdated. As of 2021, there were an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants, with 4-5 million being visa overstays. From January 2021 to October 2023, U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported around 10 million encounters with removable noncitizens. On average, 1-2% of nonimmigrant admissions result in overstays annually, amounting to about 650,000 to 850,000 people each year. Visa overstayers tend to be more educated and are less of a concern compared to those who enter the country illegally. ...And the math says they no longer make up 40-50% of the undocumented population.