The source of Trump's "getting things done"

jross

1986 is when many people formed the opinion that Trump could do what the government could not.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/15/nyregion/about-new-york-pssst-here-s-a-secret-trump-rebuilds-ice-rink.html

Donald J. Trump refurbished the Central Park -skating rink two and a half months ahead of his own speedy six-month schedule and $750,000 below his own projected $3 million budget, having taken over the project after the city spent six years and $12 million unsuccessfully trying to get the job done.

''He built the most fabulous rink I have ever seen,'' said Vera Banchet, watching her daughter skate. ''I saw Trump on TV again last night. If I may say so, he is not one to hide his light under a bushel.''

At the opening a few potential mayoral candidates showed up to wonder aloud why the city couldn't do the job.

''I don't really care about Trump's ego or the attention he's grabbing,'' said George Rinaldi, a skater at the rink, who echoed the sentiments of many others. ''It's a great rink and he is a great man. Anybody who can get anything done right and done on time in New York is a bona fide hero. He should get a ticker-tape parade.''

• Bob 2
  • Jagger 1

27 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

He did a great job with the wall....oh wait.

What did he actually get done? He's running on the exact same platform he ran on in 2016. Seems like all the issues he promised to fix are still there, no?

Checks and balances prevented Trump from getting the wall done.  

• Bob 2

32 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

What did he actually get done? He's running on the exact same platform he ran on in 2016. Seems like all the issues he promised to fix are still there, no?

He did all that was possible considering the Paul Ryans and John McCains he had to deal with.  And the ‘collusion’ travesty.  You are aware that the Court recently told Biden he had to continue building the wall, aren’t you?

Edited by Offthemat
  • Bob 1

I am confused...why are some of you complaining that Trump didn't execute on some of his campaign promises but also complained about what his campaign promises were???  Did you like them or not??

And as people mentioned...remove Trump from the equation...the way our government works is there are checks and balances so a President can't come in and unilateral make changes and policy.   So all this dictator/tyrant/etc. talk no matter who is running is just silly.

• Bob 2

3 hours ago, jross said:

1986 is when many people formed the opinion that Trump could do what the government could not.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/15/nyregion/about-new-york-pssst-here-s-a-secret-trump-rebuilds-ice-rink.html

Donald J. Trump refurbished the Central Park -skating rink two and a half months ahead of his own speedy six-month schedule and $750,000 below his own projected $3 million budget, having taken over the project after the city spent six years and $12 million unsuccessfully trying to get the job done.

''He built the most fabulous rink I have ever seen,'' said Vera Banchet, watching her daughter skate. ''I saw Trump on TV again last night. If I may say so, he is not one to hide his light under a bushel.''

At the opening a few potential mayoral candidates showed up to wonder aloud why the city couldn't do the job.

''I don't really care about Trump's ego or the attention he's grabbing,'' said George Rinaldi, a skater at the rink, who echoed the sentiments of many others. ''It's a great rink and he is a great man. Anybody who can get anything done right and done on time in New York is a bona fide hero. He should get a ticker-tape parade.''

I would be happy if he stuck to building ice rinks.

• Haha 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I am confused...why are some of you complaining that Trump didn't execute on some of his campaign promises but also complained about what his campaign promises were???  Did you like them or not??

And as people mentioned...remove Trump from the equation...the way our government works is there are checks and balances so a President can't come in and unilateral make changes and policy.   So all this dictator/tyrant/etc. talk no matter who is running is just silly.

but but ... he's mean! 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

When Biden took office there was 260 million dollars' worth of material at the border ready to be put up. Biden approved selling it off at auction for pennies on the dollar. There were also signed contracts in place to put up the wall. I'm not sure if those were paid or not.

• Bob 1