Olympics' effect on college wrestling?

Jimmy Cinnabon

First, it's obvious Iowa/Hawkeye RTC had the best performance overall.  The Lee and Kennedy Blades both won silver, which were the best performance the US team had in Paris.

Second, it's obvious NLWC underperformed.  RBY went 0-1, Zain went 0-1, Snyder got 5th (when he was favored to medal), Brooks got 3rd (really should have been in the finals) and Dake got 3rd (when he was favored to win). 

Third, overall it seems women are outperforming men at freestyle.  This is no surprise given women ONLY wrestle freestyle at the college level.

So is the takeaway that Iowa/Hawkeye receives a boost and Penn State/NLWC loses a bit of luster amongst recruits who have Olympic aspirations?

Bonus: how impressive is Japan?  They dominated in both styles in both men and women's.  Imagine a college team of Japanese wrestlers...how would they do at NCAAs after a few years of practicing folkstyle?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

• Jimmy Cinnabon changed the title to Olympics' effect on college wrestling?

I think RTCs should start taking high schoolers in a full time freestyle track. Maybe pay their tuition and board. But they don't compete in folk anymore. But leave the rest of folk style alone, cause it's the best. Someone like a Facundo type (better at freestyle) could really benefit from this.

• Bob 1

19 minutes ago, mad_rascal said:

I think RTCs should start taking high schoolers in a full time freestyle track. Maybe pay their tuition and board. But they don't compete in folk anymore. But leave the rest of folk style alone, cause it's the best. Someone like a Facundo type (better at freestyle) could really benefit from this.

We need the senior level teams to be going to a full time Freestyle track. Once we get that done, then we should look to the RTCs to follow suit. 

54 minutes ago, mad_rascal said:

This would be a good option for the softer, more feminine high schoolers.

• Clown 1

3 hours ago, mad_rascal said:

I think this is a good idea but I fear we would lose recruits and it would hurt the college product. Someone like Aden Valencia would have been another candidate for this or really any of the young phenoms now.

4 hours ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

So her signing a LOI to the Hawkeyes on July 23rd and the Iowa  folks take credit for her wrestling prowess? 

No, you may be new here.  Jimmy Cinnabon is a troll.

Although on a serious note, the HWC website has no female athletes, I believe the women’s RTC is separate, the “Iowa Women’s Wrestling Club,” with no mention of either Brands on their website.

https://iowawomenswrestlingclub.com/about-us/meet-the-team/

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

First, it's obvious Iowa/Hawkeye RTC had the best performance overall.  The Lee and Kennedy Blades both won silver, which were the best performance the US team had in Paris.

Second, it's obvious NLWC underperformed.  RBY went 0-1, Zain went 0-1, Snyder got 5th (when he was favored to medal), Brooks got 3rd (really should have been in the finals) and Dake got 3rd (when he was favored to win). 

Third, overall it seems women are outperforming men at freestyle.  This is no surprise given women ONLY wrestle freestyle at the college level.

So is the takeaway that Iowa/Hawkeye receives a boost and Penn State/NLWC loses a bit of luster amongst recruits who have Olympic aspirations?

Bonus: how impressive is Japan?  They dominated in both styles in both men and women's.  Imagine a college team of Japanese wrestlers...how would they do at NCAAs after a few years of practicing folkstyle?

Can't believe no one has responded to what Jimmy said...but wasn't Amit Elor's gold the best US Team performance??

28 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Can't believe no one has responded to what Jimmy said...but wasn't Amit Elor's gold the best US Team performance??

It's because many of us are purposely not feeding his troll posts.  I broke the rule by posting but only to help others like yourself to find the wisdom and just put his threads on mute

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

50 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

It's because many of us are purposely not feeding his troll posts.  I broke the rule by posting but only to help others like yourself to find the wisdom and just put his threads on mute

That make you sir a Jim Bob bud.

My take is that the focus on the Olympics is destroying collegiate wrestling.  One event, every four years, with six weight classes, that the IOC would be happy to kill in favor of ballroom dancing.  For this our best wrestlers try to squeeze themselves into weight classes where they don't fit, take years off without regard to the effect on their college teams, wrestle an inferior style of wrestling where there are virtually no pins.  IMO it will be a good day when the IOC removes wrestling from the Olympics.

Just my opinion.

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

My take is that the focus on the Olympics is destroying collegiate wrestling.  One event, every four years, with six weight classes, that the IOC would be happy to kill in favor of ballroom dancing.  For this our best wrestlers try to squeeze themselves into weight classes where they don't fit, take years off without regard to the effect on their college teams, wrestle an inferior style of wrestling where there are virtually no pins.  IMO it will be a good day when the IOC removes wrestling from the Olympics.

Just my opinion.

I’ve seen people argue (I think @Husker_Du was one of them), that it’s not good that the Olympics is the pinnacle, but I thought that argument was more saying we should hope to be like golf or tennis where the annual events outside of the Olympics are bigger.

But by saying things like freestyle is an “inferior style,” are you implying that there shouldn’t be a focus on freestyle at all, or just the Olympics?

37 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Just my opinion.

It's ok, you're entitled to your wrong opinion.