Olympics Are Over

3 hours ago, Disappointed_Badger_Fan said:

Now that the Olympics are over I would just like to say folkstyle is way more interesting and way easier for casual fans to understand than freestyle. 

Well the forum showed its stuff this weekend with a few individuals who really know their wrestling. It was definitely an educational experience for those of us in the casual fan category of freestyle wrestling. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Disappointed_Badger_Fan said:

Now that the Olympics are over I would just like to say folkstyle is way more interesting and way easier for casual fans to understand than freestyle. 

I wish people would change the wording from "Casual Fan" to "Folkstyle Fan". 

• Brain 1

17 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

I was just thinking how great it was not watching someone ride a leg on top for 4 minutes without turning his opponent. 

Which do you prefer:  the Dake claw ride or the Dake chest wrap?  

• Bob 2

2 hours ago, SunDevil said:

I was just thinking how great it was not watching someone ride a leg on top for 4 minutes without turning his opponent. 

The arbitrary scoring in freestyle makes it almost as exciting as breakdancing.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

Some rule changes that folkstyle could implement

1) Add automatic 1pt for going off the mat or grabbing the edge. Out of bounds works for Free but I like the edge scoring for folk. 

2) Loss of challenge should equal a stall call. I don't think it should warrant a point but it could if you already have a stalling.

3) Once riding time is secured award the point. 

4 minutes ago, No BS Fan said:

1) Add automatic 1pt for going off the mat or grabbing the edge. Out of bounds works for Free but I like the edge scoring for folk. 

2) Loss of challenge should equal a stall call. I don't think it should warrant a point but it could if you already have a stalling.

Also adding a weight between 197 and 285 would be great while we're here discussing things. Club wreslting has a 235 weight class and I think that weight would be a great addition. 

1 hour ago, TNwrestling said:

Scoring in any sport is arbitrary to someone who doesn't understand it. 

And therein lines the problem. The scoring is arbitrary because I don't understand it and I don't understand it because the scoring is arbitrary.

• Haha 1

I love watching freestyle...the only thing that really bugs me is the whole passivity thing...I feel like it is just random who gets selected...maybe it is I just don't understand the rule that well, but still, I really don't like the randomness of it.  Other than that it is fun to watch.  

• Bob 1

I personally like passivity. It takes a lot of subjectivity out of the sport. No points in the first 90 seconds someone is going on the clock and then it will happen again. It forces a decided winner and loser and does not allow someone to try and defend until the other guy takes a bad shot or get it to ride out.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Like the Freestyle wrestling referees and judges?

• Haha 2

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

41 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I personally like passivity. It takes a lot of subjectivity out of the sport. No points in the first 90 seconds someone is going on the clock and then it will happen again. It forces a decided winner and loser and does not allow someone to try and defend until the other guy takes a bad shot or get it to ride out.

It's a subjective ref. call and often decides the match. Basically like stalling in folk, but even more punitive.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it it always seems like they're putting the wrong guy on the clock.

• Bob 2

10 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

It's a subjective ref. call and often decides the match. Basically like stalling in folk, but even more punitive.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it it always seems like they're putting the wrong guy on the clock.

I could be wrong but my subjective observation is seems its the refs job to put the wrong guy on the clock first thus when he puts the right guy on the clock second then the wrong guy who is now the right guy will win the match if 1 - 1 by virtue of scoring the last passive point thus making everything right in the match.  🙅‍♀️

• Bob 1
  • Brain 4

4 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

So that would include Olympic refs then?  There were many challenges that resulted in overturned calls (challenge WONNN!) including multiple that went from 4 for one guy to 4 for the other guy.

• Brain 2

9 hours ago, No BS Fan said:

The only rule that folkstyle needs to add is to count a neutral exposure as 4 points.

Once you get exposure points, you are considered to be in the top position. If you end up on bottom after the scramble, your opponent gets a 2 point reversal.  

1. The first result would be significantly more neutral throws (because you have the potential to get 4 regardless of the outcome and then backpoints if you keep your oponent in a danger position). I am talking about bringing us back to 80s style wrestling with Randy Lewis, Louden Swain. Folkstyle wrestling today is not the folkstyle wrestling of the 80s, and we have lost a lot because of it! Go watch NCAA matches from the 80s, while Lunatic Fringe is playing in the background, and tell me that the sport we have today remotely compares to that.

2. The second result would be exciting counters by defensive wrestlers in response to shots. This would end the boring folkstyle counters that involve rolling around on your own back to force a stalemate. Instead, we would have just as many scrambles, but they would inevitably lead to more points and more action!

3. The last result is that our athletes would be forced to have significantly better technique. A lot of folkstyle wrestlers shoot in on legs and hold on, either to stall or to try to force stalling calls. We even saw Aaron Brooks try to do this at the end of his semifinal match.  That is not good wrestling! Good wrestling is you shoot, you score.  Like Otoguro's low single.  John Smith invented the low single, but Otoguro's low single was better than any U.S. wrestler that I have seen since Smith. The reason is that folkstyle in its current form does not punish you for failing to finish your shots!

Folkstyle fans, I am not trying to take away your precious top/bottom wrestling or riding time!   Let's just make the sport more exciting by encouraging more throws and better technique!

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 1

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Both have pros and cons, but to me folkstyle is way more interesting.

I've been involved in wrestling over 60 years, and I love both freestyle and folkstyle....I love coaching  both styles.  Wrestlers learn from both styles.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1