Post Olympics thoughts

5 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Kyle "bronze" medal Snyder is not getting gold. Snyder is solid not spectacular and he is always in a bronze medal match. 

Zain ? At 65 ? ......I see him losing a "tough hard fought battle" as is the status quo with him ....likely at the end of the last period with a lead. Blowing the lead with a lack of innate fluidity in certain positions and practiced awareness of how to close out matches from nittany lion wrestling club.

Did you predict Sarah to win gold? Or the Bulgarian at 86? Yeah didn’t think so. You never know what’s going to happen. That’s why they wrestle.

5 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Kyle "bronze" medal Snyder is not getting gold. Snyder is solid not spectacular and he is always in a bronze medal match. 

Zain ? At 65 ? ......I see him losing a "tough hard fought battle" as is the status quo with him ....likely at the end of the last period with a lead. Blowing the lead with a lack of innate fluidity in certain positions and practiced awareness of how to close out matches from nittany lion wrestling club.

Not to get in the way of a good whine, but Kyle has only been in the bronze match 2x in his World/Olympic career. He has more silvers and golds than his bronze appearances. So Kyle “Finalist” Snyder, who is in the finals almost 80% of the time he competes, is a more apt nickname. Maybe by the next Olympics you can switch it though. 

• Fire 2

13 hours ago, Rassling said:

Sorry I’m not buying it. No way this guy feels this way about our wrestlers. They are to be commended for making it this far and for representing our country no matter the results.

This guy is making a statement about our FANS, not our wrestlers. And perhaps he is making a statement to demonstrate something about HIMSELF as a US wrestling fan. Seriously, the number of US fans saying that we would win gold at all six weight classes really had me chuckling. I know it's nice to be a homer, but you should never let your homerism get in the way of logic and truth. The logic and truth have been telling me that THE WORLD IS DEEP. I commend the US team for representing our country and giving their all. I agree that things didn't go our way this Olympics, and a few close matches went the wrong way for the USA. Those who were talking sh** about how the US would take all six gold medals weren't giving proper respect to the quality of wresters at the Olympics. Anyone not respecting the US team this year is completely wrong. I just give props to ALL the wrestlers who make it to the Olympics. No easy matches.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

13 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Russia. Russia. Russia. 

Way too much being made about the absence of Russia. Russia is Sidakov and a bunch of returning 5ths. Not much more. 

What a funny comment! Uguev would be a real threat at 57kg., Sadulaev is a real threat at 97kg., Sidakov is the king of 74kg, not to mention Jamalov and Rassadin, both Russians repping other countries at that weight, Mamedov is a hammer at 65kg, and Kurbabov at 125kg isn't a top contender, but on any given day.  

The absence of Russia is huge. 

1 hour ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

This guy is making a statement about our FANS, not our wrestlers. And perhaps he is making a statement to demonstrate something about HIMSELF as a US wrestling fan. Seriously, the number of US fans saying that we would win gold at all six weight classes really had me chuckling. I know it's nice to be a homer, but you should never let your homerism get in the way of logic and truth. The logic and truth have been telling me that THE WORLD IS DEEP. I commend the US team for representing our country and giving their all. I agree that things didn't go our way this Olympics, and a few close matches went the wrong way for the USA. Those who were talking sh** about how the US would take all six gold medals weren't giving proper respect to the quality of wresters at the Olympics. Anyone not respecting the US team this year is completely wrong. I just give props to ALL the wrestlers who make it to the Olympics. No easy matches.

I still think we can win all six MFS weights.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

What a funny comment! Uguev would be a real threat at 57kg., Sadulaev is a real threat at 97kg., Sidakov is the king of 74kg, not to mention Jamalov and Rassadin, both Russians repping other countries at that weight, Mamedov is a hammer at 65kg, and Kurbabov at 125kg isn't a top contender, but on any given day.  

The absence of Russia is huge. 

What a silly comment by you ! 

Zamalov doesn’t rep Russia, is in the tournament and was getting the best of Sidakov in training. How is Zamalov, relevant to this argument  

Uguev was 5th in world last year, as was saduleev. Uguev has won maybe 3 international matches since Tokyo. 

Mamedov was injured and can’t compete. 

Saduleev was 5th last year and is coming off neck surgery. 

Silky, silly boy. 

Couple more thoughts.

Snyder had an admirable loss. Zain too. Can live with those. 

Dake - post interview he was like "yea I scored Everytime the jap got in on me'. Too stubborn and won't change 

Why is the USA coaches too incompetent to develop technique like the Japanese to expose dakes weakness ? I may have to give carl a pass here as why would he think dake needs to be concerned when nobody has threatened him there ?

Well except for takatani last year who looked good in the same position ( Jesus USA coaching)

How are there ppl pretending like Taylor wouldn't of run through this bracket ? Would of easily teched that guy (whatever the hell he was doing) in the bronze medal match for brooks. Never seen someone with such bad offense. He would of teched the Bulgarian too. No doubt. 

• Bob 1

43 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

Regardless of how our guys did over the past week, one question: does anyone know if any/all of the Olympians are going to wrestle in the World Championships in October in Albania?

Anyone that wrestles in the Olympics is not allowed to wrestle in Worlds this year. 

• Brain 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:07 PM, MidniteToka said:

This is 100% Monday morning quarterbacking.  3 or 4 small differences total in the MFS matches would result in a big difference in US results.  That's typical of high level athletic competitions.  So far we've only had one weight where we weren't in the hunt for a gold.  The sky is not falling. 

Absolute delusion.

Now it’s time for this thread. can changes be made, or has our golden era aged out?

Time to make freestyle more professional and less dependent on college dollars? What does this look like? Where does the money come from?

Or if we want to get serious about this, switch to both international styles and wrestle it at all levels.

• Bob 1

Interesting to note: I’m pretty sure our men’s program is a bunch of individuals who train on their own with their own clubs and this continues at their training camps, with almost completely individual practices probably run by their private coaches and zadick in a ceo role (which I don’t have a problem with). 

From what I’ve heard, our women have somewhat individualized practices and coaching but much more is done with them as a group with Steiner or others running large portions of practice or camp for the team as a whole. 

This may be an oversimplification, but it is my understanding. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong , but it’s the impression I got from a Steiner interview. 

34 minutes ago, scribers said:

Now it’s time for this thread. can changes be made, or has our golden era aged out?

Time to make freestyle more professional and less dependent on college dollars? What does this look like? Where does the money come from?

Or if we want to get serious about this, switch to both international styles and wrestle it at all levels.

We had a great run and still have some gas in the tank.  Lee, Brooks, Dake medaling was great. Even though it was tough to watch their losses.

Freestyle is about action and scoring.  Honestly,  we looked out dated. Trying to hang on to an one point lead with 2 minutes left is poor strategy.

I think freestyle and greco are both easier styles to learn if you never introduce folkstyle.  Folkstyle wrestling is for dinosaurs.  It's outdated and boring, even compared to greco.

I'd also add, there are great wrestlers throughout our world. We saw that one display. 

An honorable sport with great competitors. Great sportsmanship throughout.  

Edited by The Kid
  • Bob 2
  • Fire 1

How do the Russians prepare? Is their system centralized or regional/individual?

I think we used to centralize training and preparation in Colorado Springs until private dollars flowed into the rtc (really college recruiting banners) 

Another thing that’s happening is women’s wrestling is being built with the ideal structure for greater success at worlds. If this works, and they are gaining interest from what I read here, it’s going to be hard to look away from objective results 

13 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Couple more thoughts.

Snyder had an admirable loss. Zain too. Can live with those. 

Dake - post interview he was like "yea I scored Everytime the jap got in on me'. Too stubborn and won't change 

Why is the USA coaches too incompetent to develop technique like the Japanese to expose dakes weakness ? I may have to give carl a pass here as why would he think dake needs to be concerned when nobody has threatened him there ?

Well except for takatani last year who looked good in the same position ( Jesus USA coaching)

How are there ppl pretending like Taylor wouldn't of run through this bracket ? Would of easily teched that guy (whatever the hell he was doing) in the bronze medal match for brooks. Never seen someone with such bad offense. He would of teched the Bulgarian too. No doubt. 

I think DT is prol kicking himself and thinking this too..I  wonder if that wasn't an impetus to him leaving NLWC. We all know that guys that train together produces some wrestle off results that just aren't accurate due to familiarity. We see it every year with weird upsets during wrestle offs.

3 minutes ago, DocBB said:

I think DT is prol kicking himself and thinking this too..I  wonder if that wasn't an impetus to him leaving NLWC. We all know that guys that train together produces some wrestle off results that just aren't accurate due to familiarity. We see it every year with weird upsets during wrestle offs.

There is some serious DT nostalgia going on on this board. Sorry to pick your post for this response because it is not just you. But this idea that the DT who said he had lost the fire was somehow going to run through this bracket is just wrong. And the reason DT left NLWC is he was done wrestling. The reason he left his business interests in State College is they were not going to make him $6 million richer in the next 6 years. As for training together, both DT and Brooks said they had not done that in years. Time to let the DT who dominated go. He does not exist anymore.

• Bob 4

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

58 minutes ago, scribers said:

How do the Russians prepare? Is their system centralized or regional/individual?

I think we used to centralize training and preparation in Colorado Springs until private dollars flowed into the rtc (really college recruiting banners) 

Not sure about locations but they are highly syllabus dependent. In the Soviet days, they might have their best coach early on teaching from that syllabus. 

• Bob 1

48 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Time to let the DT who dominated go. He does not exist anymore.

You forget Fantasy Match Taylor has yet to lose.  He runs the bracket and then bests Dake afterward. 

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Bob 1

The wrestling suffered from the cut down from ten weights.

Three solid years of wrestling at a weight only to be forced to dump or get heavier for the Olympic Games is asinine.

We saw health issues due to it for a number of competitors.

Those in charge do not care about the athletes past "what can I get from showcasing them".

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Passivity is too subjective,  Agkul lost his semi due to two passivity points,  the last call with 1:30ish left in the bout when he had criteria.  He and Zare were both dancing bears and neither appeared passive.   They each had passivity points in the first period.  Why not let them wrestle it out?  Zare would have had the whole period to score, Taha was left with about a minute. 

• Bob 2