Olympic Wrestling ... Day 5

Happy for Helen! She is amazing and her story even more amazing! 3 Olympic medals and our first gold, she is a pioneer for women’s wrestling and she is the GOAT of women’s wrestling in America (at least until Amit Elor passes her 🙂 )

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

those must have been some pretty good weeks

Higuchi playing the long game. There was a certain high school recruit taking recruiting trips to PSU at the same time in 2017. I knew there were levels to this game but that's some 3D chess right there...

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, Hilton Head Joe said:

But Varner should have won the Hodge 🙂 Time to break up the NLWC. Taylor was first defector. I bet several more retire or go their own ways after the Olympics. It will only be Cael, Cody, Casey and Varner left. 

Yes, time to break up the NLWC.  In fact, we ought to...

omg-hell.gif

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

When do we get a "Is Brooks the most overrated Bronze Medalist Ever" thread?

Brooks was a few seconds away from wrestling for Gold, and considering what happened in that match he may well have won Gold. He actually has had a very good tournament, even in Bronze. 

• Bob 1

Anyone calling the Yazdani shoulder injury a "cramp" has never had a shoulder injury.  He is definitely injured.

Burroughs makes enough cringy comments without diagnosing medical problems. A shoulder cramp??

29 minutes ago, MidniteToka said:

Borderline TMI.

You must be new here.

Welcome. 🙂

• Bob 1
  • Jagger 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

32 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Higuchi trained at NLWC for, what, like 6 weeks? And that was years ago. 

Brooks looked great though

Pretty sure it was longer than 6 weeks. Maybe more than one visit as well. Anyone, just responding to non sensical posts. 

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

Brooks was a few seconds away from wrestling for Gold, and considering what happened in that match he may well have won Gold. He actually has had a very good tournament, even in Bronze. 

3.9s to be exact...

image.png.7c4c254efe77a26209a96ca0fb18bc5f.png

• Bob 1

I don’t understand the disappointment in not getting a gold (yet). There was only one guy that was favored to win his weight and he got beat by a better guy today. It happens. We could still potentially get 5 medals out of 6 weights. That’s damn good. 

If you can look at it objectively:

57 - was never the favorite, randomly drawn in, and in his first big international competition at the senior level. Looks to be 50/50 with the former world champ and Olympic silver/gold. 

65- TBD, but definitely not the favorite. In that 3/5 range where draw matters. Also going down in weight where he doesn’t ever look as good. 

74 - favorite that was wrestled pretty perfectly and ends up with bronze (probably)

86 - never the favorite over Yazdani but a couple seconds from the finals. In that 2/5th range where draw matters. First big senior international competition. 

97 - TBD, not the favorite, but capable of winning. 

125 - not the favorite and in that 3/5 range where draw matters. Wrestled a bad match and that was it. When you’re in that range where you have to be on against good guys, you are going to have this type of thing happen here and there. If you’re on you have the chance to pull an upset and make the finals. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 4

Just watched the Lee match. Why didn't Lee get the 1 point pushout near the end there? It looked to me that he should have won 3-2. He gets up 3-2 and he doesn't have to push at the end to beat criteria. But what do I know?

2 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Just watched the Lee match. Why didn't Lee get the 1 point pushout near the end there? It looked to me that he should have won 3-2. He gets up 3-2 and he doesn't have to push at the end to beat criteria. But what do I know?

They called it grounded.

I guess the hypothetical "would you trade six golds for one Olympic 65kg medal" question is really going to happen fml this sucks

Help me Kylie-Wan you're my only hope

i am an idiot on the internet

i love to say i told you so

but i think it was during worlds last year.. i said dake relying on bombs was hurting him.

he hadn't improved.

i was told i was stupid... 

fast forward to today... he gave up more points on trying bombs

and should have been shooting 

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Because I have not been disappointed enough today, I'm going to watch the replay of the women's 10k since I was shitting the bed on here like I'm a member of the olympic MFS team. I'm sure that's going to be a real treat and will put me in an even better olympic spirit.

Beatrice Chebet looking like the next distance star.  Americans stayed with the lead pack until the final lap, and the Italian who nearly medaled in the 5K damn near outkicked Chebet.

And Sifan medals again, with a marathon left for the trifecta!

Tsegay out of the medals again, but still with a shot in the 1500.

Still not as exciting as the men's 10K or 1500 (best race I've ever seen); mostly a coronation for Chebet.

Overall, Team USA's track performance has been what I hoped wrestling would be.  Won't happen this year, but remember, the men had no track golds in Tokyo and look at their performance this year (5 golds off the top of my head, plus completely unexpected bronze medals from Nuguse and Grant Fisher, and a silver from Rooks in the steeple).

A similar rebound in MFS would be ~3-4 golds and a medal at 65kg (I view Fisher's 10k bronze as akin to medaling at 65kg)

Just read a quick interview with Spencer after getting silver. He said he thought about removing it at the podium but didn’t. He then gave the medal to his sister. Seems very disgusted with himself for not getting after it like he intended. 

10 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Overall, Team USA's track performance has been what I hoped wrestling would be.  Won't happen this year, but remember, the men had no track golds in Tokyo and look at their performance this year (5 golds off the top of my head, plus completely unexpected bronze medals from Nuguse and Grant Fisher, and a silver from Rooks in the steeple).

A similar rebound in MFS would be ~3-4 golds and a medal at 65kg (I view Fisher's 10k bronze as akin to medaling at 65kg)

I’m just glad Sydney Mcloughlin-Levrone won the 400m hurdles. That’s been the highlight of the Olympics after Amit and Sarah winning 

7 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Just read a quick interview with Spencer after getting silver. He said he thought about removing it at the podium but didn’t. He then gave the medal to his sister. Seems very disgusted with himself for not getting after it like he intended. 

Shades of another Iowa 125. Not a great example of sportsmanship. 

1 hour ago, Gus said:

They called it grounded.

16 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Ok.......I call bullcrap! Lol In my mind Spencer was robbed. Freestyle is way to subjective.

it wasn't the least bit subjective. Knees down like that  is grounded. JAP knew to keep them down and he did so it wasn't a close call.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Ok.......I call bullcrap! Lol In my mind Spencer was robbed. Freestyle is way to subjective.
I saw him just totally trying to rely on the push out there in the final minute or so and Higuchi staying on his knees. I was surprised he didn't try any actual moves down the stretch.

2 minutes ago, 4xJVchamp said:

I’m just glad Sydney Mcloughlin-Levrone won the 400m hurdles. That’s been the highlight of the Olympics after Amit and Sarah winning 

Stomped Femke Bol into the ground. That was awesome.

For all of the hype of a "rivalry", it's pretty one sided and Bol hasn't been anywhere near her the last two Olympics.

13 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Link to the interview for people interested 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/09/olympics-wrestling-spencer-lee-iowa-silver/74742048007/

Bummer of a thing to read but understand his feelings of course. Hope in time he realizes this was still a very impressive performance

• Bob 2