Olympic Wrestling...Day 3

7 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Eh, I mean Greco we lose to basically everyone, so a "good" draw seems hard to come by. 

Amit has pinned Tosun already and crushed her. 
Sarah avoided Susaki. 
Dom Parrish got 100% shot at repechage. 
Brooks avoided Yazdani/Kurugliev 
Spicey Lee avoided Higuchi/Abakarov/Aman

Not the worst draws

I've actually been happy with most of the draws outside of Dom, unless you thought that she was easily the 2nd best at the weight and would've made the finals. She isn't beating Japan at any point in the tournament. Or Coon, there was 0 chance he was going anywhere with that one. 

• Bob 1
  • Stalling 1

Honestly it is bonkers that Vinesh doesn't get a Silver, but I get it.  They need a Gold Medal match and these rules were well in place for many months.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 minutes ago, cowcards said:

I've actually been happy with most of the draws outside of Dom, unless you thought that she was easily the 2nd best at the weight and would've made the finals. She isn't beating Japan at any point in the tournament. Or Coon, there was 0 chance he was going anywhere with that one. 

That quarter was bonkers.  The only way that goes better for him is if he gets drawn in to face Lopez round one, so he gets a shot at wrestling for Bronze (which he would have still lost to the Iranian in the repechage before the Bronze match anyways).

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Really happy with Lee's draw. As long as he can get past Zou again, his path to semis looks a lot better than anywhere else he could've ended up.

Happy for Brooks that at least Yaz is on the other side.

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I wake up at 4am Eastern to watch Joe Rau wrestle, and Peacock says wait another hour.

5am Eastern is what it's been. But at least you had time to make some breakfast...

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

5am Eastern is what it's been. But at least you had time to make some breakfast...

Well... breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.

D3

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Helen Maroulis (WFS 57kg) draw is also on here: 

Helen is in the top bracket... the same side as Japan's Sakurai.

D3

• Bob 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

12 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Well... breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.

D3

Saturday and Sunday are brutal for me. Do I stay up to watch the marathons then go to bed for a few hours? Or do I get a couple hours of sleep then truck through a 20 hour day?

• Bob 2

i am an idiot on the internet

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Saturday and Sunday are brutal for me. Do I stay up to watch the marathons then go to bed for a few hours? Or do I get a couple hours of sleep then truck through a 20 hour day?

1097723298-quote-good-morning-mr-phelps-

D3

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly it is bonkers that Vinesh doesn't get a Silver, but I get it.  They need a Gold Medal match and these rules were well in place for many months.

I agree having an actual gold medal match is a good thing, but I think there's more to the rationale than that. 

It helps discourage extreme weight cutting to tell all athletes you only get a chance at a medal if you make weight BOTH days.  That's good for the sport, and helps ensure everyone's at the right weight, and not one where they will struggle on Day 2 to make weight. 

Also, the current rule discourages athletes from eating a ton after Day 1 weigh-ins and having a huge weight advantage over your opponents.  It keeps everyone at about the same level.

To use an extreme example, imagine you know you have zero chance of beating your opponent on the opposite end of your bracket, so your best case scenario is silver. In that scenario, if the rule were otherwise, it could actually make sense to eat liberally after Day 1 weigh-ins so you have as big a size advantage as possible in the quarters and semis.  Then if you win, who cares if you don't make weight on Day 2 (and maybe you don't even try), since had no shot beyond silver anyway.

I'd be surprised if that last scenario ever played out, but I do think it's good for the sport to remove that risk, and to incentivize healthy weight cutting.  I think the NCAA does the same thing and I think it's the right call for the sport.

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1

9 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Yeah makes sense she had to go for broke, but didn’t they go to two hour weigh ins? I can’t believe she beat an all time great like that right off the scale when she is cutting that much. She had an amazing tournament so far, so this must be heartbreaking 

Normally it is two hour weigh-ins these days, but for whatever reason they're doing weigh-ins at the Olympic Village rather than at the venue, so to allow for transport it is a 4 hour weigh-in for this tourney.

15 minutes ago, BAC said:

I'd be surprised if that last scenario ever played out, but I do think it's good for the sport to remove that risk, and to incentivize healthy weight cutting.  I think the NCAA does the same thing and I think it's the right call for the sport.

What if said opponent was 82-0 internationally and never lost outside of Japan, still surprised if it played out?   No one seemed to be aware of the current rule and Phogat has filed an appeal to share the Silver Medal.

Just now, nickp91 said:

Looking to be a great olympics for USA Freestyle

The women have held up their part of the bargain so far, but their paths gets quite a bit more complicated, especially after Dom. The Japanese women are the favorites at the next three weights.

Helen was abducted by Paris who I'm sure had some Blades to wield and needed a Miracle to win the war...

• Bob 1