If Yazdani wins, where does he stack up with Taylor...

Weird h2h match ups can happen. Bruce was 4-2 (and one of the wins was a 1-1 judges decision) against someone who never medaled at the olympics or won worlds.

It's relevant when you reach that "I don't lose for years level" where every loss gets magnified or if you are close to the same decorated. 

On 7/23/2024 at 2:10 AM, billyhoyle said:

It makes no sense that he would win world's the year before the Olympics and then all of a sudden lose motivation when the second Olympic gold would place him as one of the greatest American wrestlers ever.  I just think Brooks surpassed him. 

Came across this:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/8/1/24210841/olympic-gold-medalist-david-taylor-explains-decision-retire-competition-after-missing-out-2024-games

From the article:

“I’ve always said I would compete as long as I had the fire,” Taylor told MMA Fighting. “This year, that fire started to just kind of go away. I’ve achieved everything I wanted to achieve in my career. You start off and you want to be a good wrestler, then you set your goals — and I had the highest goal of being an Olympic gold medalist. Being a national champion, being a world champion, being an Olympic gold medalist, it’s hard to continue to recreate that fire every single year. I was 33 years old. I had achieved everything I wanted to achieve. I got a young family, so this year was a challenge to find that fire everyday.”

• Bob 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Came across this:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/8/1/24210841/olympic-gold-medalist-david-taylor-explains-decision-retire-competition-after-missing-out-2024-games

From the article:

“I’ve always said I would compete as long as I had the fire,” Taylor told MMA Fighting. “This year, that fire started to just kind of go away. I’ve achieved everything I wanted to achieve in my career. You start off and you want to be a good wrestler, then you set your goals — and I had the highest goal of being an Olympic gold medalist. Being a national champion, being a world champion, being an Olympic gold medalist, it’s hard to continue to recreate that fire every single year. I was 33 years old. I had achieved everything I wanted to achieve. I got a young family, so this year was a challenge to find that fire everyday.”

i've said it before, but given how long it took him to make a team, it's arguable that there isn't a person you could name who probably could have maintained the "fire" better.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

For all the grief Yazdani gets, most of the big international rivalries are pretty one sided.

Snyder is like 1-3 vs Sad.

Even Geno is about 3-10 against Akgul. And every time Geno won it was barely, by the skin of his teeth after tiring Akgul out, while Akgul has demolished  Geno on occasions. 

On 7/23/2024 at 3:10 AM, billyhoyle said:

It makes no sense that he would win world's the year before the Olympics and then all of a sudden lose motivation when the second Olympic gold would place him as one of the greatest American wrestlers ever.  I just think Brooks surpassed him. 

Watched AB and Taylor wrestle live in Newark at the WTT and it was obvious last year Brooks was a few adjustments away from overtaking him

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

On 8/2/2024 at 6:43 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

i've said it before, but given how long it took him to make a team, it's arguable that there isn't a person you could name who probably could have maintained the "fire" better.

Well I think you could name at least one… Kyle Dake 🙂

• Bob 1

9 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Watched AB and Taylor wrestle live in Newark at the WTT and it was obvious last year Brooks was a few adjustments away from overtaking him

I'm really curious to see how Brooks does. I don't see him getting pushed around on the Underhook. That's a strong position for him, for DT and he shut that down(I know it's Yazdani's strength moreso than Taylor's obviously)...but I think he could match up pretty well. 

I like Lee, Dake, Brooks and Snyder's chances. I think this could be the most successful Olympics since...'84. Snyder needs to wrestle much smarter and more controlled on his shots and try and grind that kid down. I don't really know where Zain finishes up(maybe with a medal...I'm not very well versed on that weight). And Parris, I could see him surprising a bit as well. Not Gold, but a medal?

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I'm really curious to see how Brooks does. I don't see him getting pushed around on the Underhook. That's a strong position for him, for DT and he shut that down(I know it's Yazdani's strength moreso than Taylor's obviously)...but I think he could match up pretty well. 

I like Lee, Dake, Brooks and Snyder's chances. I think this could be the most successful Olympics since...'84. Snyder needs to wrestle much smarter and more controlled on his shots and try and grind that kid down. I don't really know where Zain finishes up(maybe with a medal...I'm not very well versed on that weight). And Parris, I could see him surprising a bit as well. Not Gold, but a medal?

US definitely sending a solid team.  Concerned for Snyder.  Not the best draw

34 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

What's it look like...

Has Tazhudinov (which is ok for repchage) but good chance and more concerning is Azarpira gets drawn in to his side of the bracket and is an early round matchup

Edited by PortaJohn

5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Has Tazhudinov (which is ok for repchage) but good chance and more concerning is Azarpira gets drawn in to his side of the bracket and is an early round matchup

So there still has been no draw...

36 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

he's not in the same quarter right?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

20 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

he's not in the same quarter right?

no, Taz and Snyder would meet in the semis.  Azarpira's bracket placement is the wildcard in Snyder's path to medal

Edited by PortaJohn

3 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I think he's got a better chance at beating Tazhudinov than Sadulaev. I know he was out of his mind at worlds last year, but Snyder just kept getting rolled through on his shots. I think if he just Wrestles a bit more conservatively, tries to grind him down...

Or maybe I'm wrong and he'll affirm his WC with an OC. But, I like Snyder's chances. 

• Bob 1
  • Wrestle 1

On 8/4/2024 at 1:38 AM, Eagle26 said:

Well I think you could name at least one… Kyle Dake 🙂

Different situation, Kyle Dake has not achieved everything on Taylor's list.  National champion, world champion, Olympic champion.  Dake is still missing the last one.  If Taylor was still missing that I am sure he'd be more motivated to train/compete this year.

Yazdani, is a charismatic wrestler who has a huge fan base, he also has a long list of accolades. I think whether he wins or loses in Paris will change much how he is perceived. Some will still argue one way or the other. 

We could see 5 golds or 0 golds and neither would be a shock to me.

Lee is a wildcard blitz.

Zain has never produced at 65 but is a 2x finalist/1x champ at 70.

Dake is on the short list but ask Susaki about massive favorites on the wrong side of 30 being upset.

Brooks gets taken down by high school kids and beaten annually domestically.

Snyder either figures out Taz or last year was the changing of the guard.

Parris has to beat Geno first and then he runs into a very different Zare than junior worlds.

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

We could see 5 golds or 0 golds and neither would be a shock to me.

Lee is a wildcard blitz.

Zain has never produced at 65 but is a 2x finalist/1x champ at 70.

Dake is on the short list but ask Susaki about massive favorites on the wrong side of 30 being upset.

Brooks gets taken down by high school kids and beaten annually domestically.

Snyder either figures out Taz or last year was the changing of the guard.

Parris has to beat Geno first and then he runs into a very different Zare than junior worlds.

Susaki is around 24 yo - but she does now understand massive favorites being upset.:)