If Bassett chooses Iowa

41 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Nah - your analogy is more like comparing Figeroa to Kirkvliet. Different size but still folkstyle.

There's plenty of college wrestlers who are the same size as freestylers but are just not good at freestyle; and vice versa.

Free and Folk are certainly not a 1 for 1. However when you account for the fact that be beat Ashnault a few weeks after his folk season ended (ashnault has been wrestling exclusively free for 2-3 years) and that he has two years of high school development left before he even touches a college match (on a roster) I think it's fairly safe to say his ceiling being low AA is a dog water take.

4 hours ago, HokieDave87 said:

You're simplifying this. Kids follow the best, that's how a culture is formed. At VT Mekhi Lewis and Bryce Andonian set the tone in the room. Neither are overly vocal but younger kids gravitate towards them and follow their habits from training to taking care of yourself off the mat and living life as a D1 athlete in such a demanding sport. All they have to do to be a leader is allow others to observe how they approach the sport.

did you read my response to scourge?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

On 7/8/2024 at 1:05 PM, alex1fly said:

Same playbook! controversial title then zero engagement in their own thread. Classic lol 

What do I have to add to what I originally posted?

Iowa is not doing well - compared to expectations. Grinder U is what they look like. A coaching staff that is challenged when they have talented kids who need development to hone and improve what is already a winning style. Instead they get "beat your head against the wall" leadership.

If this kid goes to Iowa he may do well but won't really progress past what he is because the coaching staff can't do the job to raise his level.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 minute ago, AgaveMaria said:

What do I have to add to what I originally posted?

Iowa is not doing well - compared to expectations. Grinder U is what they look like. A coaching staff that is challenged when they have talented kids who need development to hone and improve what is already a winning style. Instead they get "beat your head against the wall" leadership.

If this kid goes to Iowa he may do well but won't really progress past what he is because the coaching staff can't do the job to raise his level.

ok so you admit you were just hating on Iowa. Sweet life!

If Basset goes to Iowa, I wish him the best of luck. However I do worry that Iowa guys do seem ( to me ), that they get beat up and worn down near the end of their college career. So hopefully TNT will change their strategy and try and save their guys so they can be at their best when needed in March. 

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

ok so you admit you were just hating on Iowa. Sweet life!

Raising questions is not "hating".

Iowa has had a great program thanks to Gary Kurdlemeier and Dan Gable. Jim Zalesky was not Gable and it showed. The Terrible Two are not Gable, but closer than Zalesky.

Watching a once great program slowly sink is not pretty. More so when the coaches don't seem to have a clue.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, AgaveMaria said:

Iowa has had a great program thanks to Gary Kurdlemeier and Dan Gable. Jim Zalesky was not Gable and it showed. The Terrible Two are not Gable, but closer than Zalesky.

Watching a once great program slowly sink is not pretty. More so when the coaches don't seem to have a clue.

yeah iowa is at rock bottom, and their coaches are stupid. Thats probably it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AgaveMaria said:

Still the second best coaches as measured by results.

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

37 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You shirley mean second best Iowa coach but if "coaches" wouldn't that be 2nd & 3rd?  🤔

PS: it is hard to find good interns these days let me tell you ...

Edited by ionel

50 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I measure coaching quality by how many non-blue chip recruits are turned into successful wrestlers. T&T do that on occasion, but a guy like Borelli at CMU did that regularly during his tenure.

7 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I measure coaching quality by how many non-blue chip recruits are turned into successful wrestlers. T&T do that on occasion, but a guy like Borelli at CMU did that regularly during his tenure.

can you quantify on occasion and regularly?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

10 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Gallagher did pretty well with farm kids.  

26 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Is Carl a quality coach, in your opinion?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Might as well get clarification on, "successful wrestlers" while you're at it.

You're welcome to your own interpretation. In my mind, it's relative. Turn a 3rd string kid into an above 500 wrestler, that's a success. Turn a top 50 recruit into a 500 college wrestler, not as impressive.

2 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Is Carl a quality coach, in your opinion?

Clearly running a top-notch program in terms of recruiting and getting already good wrestlers to continue performing at a high level.

Can he take an average kid and turn him into a stud? I'm not really a PSU fan - I don't have enough knowledge about their program to give examples.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

can you quantify on occasion and regularly?

Nope - going off memory, so I don't have data on hand. It's also been a while since Borelli's coached.