If Bassett chooses Iowa

By all appearances Bo doesn't seem to be a prima donna and he very much appears to be a team guy. I also think that it'll be good for college wrestling if Bo does not go to Penn State. Reason being is I believe he's the kind of personality, worker and generational talent that is going to attract more top recruits to wherever he lands. That could create a seismic shift in the balance of power between Penn State and everybody else. Similar to how David Taylor taking over at Ok State looks like one of the few things that has the potential to knock PSU off it's course. Some drama in the team race will bring more eyes to the sport and make those 3 days in March even more exhilarating. 

• Brain 1

9 hours ago, BloodRound said:

Gotta throw my respect towards any person who puts the dumbest take in a thread, especially one like this.  Just wondering what makes you think this though if it's a legit thought.

Yeah...I read that as his floor...because normally your brain fills in nonsensical comments with more logical thoughts.

No clue why his "ceiling" would be AA. 

5 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

so if you train hard and aren't actively trying to abuse your teammates on a personal level you're a leader?

Are you trolling? He's absolutely right, the best Wrestlers TEND to be leaders as well. Where are you getting the "aren't actively trying to abuse your teammates on a personal level," nonsense from?

Everyone knows what it means. Lead by example, you're working hard, you're helping the younger kids...just...being a leader. Does every iteration of being a leader need to be spelled out?

And please don't come back with assholes who were great Wrestlers but not leaders. The point was they TEND to be or they usually are. I'll assume Zain, DT, Ruth, Lee, Wrestlers like that have been pretty good leaders. 

I'd assume Spencer Lee has been...you watch what he did for his workouts, I'm sure you've got young guys who he's influenced. 

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Are you trolling? He's absolutely right, the best Wrestlers TEND to be leaders as well. Where are you getting the "aren't actively trying to abuse your teammates on a personal level," nonsense from?

Everyone knows what it means. Lead by example, you're working hard, you're helping the younger kids...just...being a leader. Does every iteration of being a leader need to be spelled out?

And please don't come back with assholes who were great Wrestlers but not leaders. The point was they TEND to be or they usually are. I'll assume Zain, DT, Ruth, Lee, Wrestlers like that have been pretty good leaders. 

I'd assume Spencer Lee has been...you watch what he did for his workouts, I'm sure you've got young guys who he's influenced. 

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to define the word leader in a way which makes it a valuable commodity as opposed to an archetype that gets dropped by default on the best wrestler in the room.

Example, people on here, confident of his role as a leader, have described how Taylor must be a tremendous teacher and mentor for Aaron Brooks and Bo Nickal, then we find out he refused to wrestle Brooks for years and hid an injury NIckal so he wouldn't be able to medal at his weight at worlds. Does this disqualify him from leader status? Does a leader have to embody an institution and put its needs before theirs? Or can you just be a really good example of how to wrestle and train?

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I'm interested in why you think that?  He's having success now against senior level opposition, and dominating age level (not just grade level).  

No shame in making AA; that's a compliment. But there's also plenty of kids who don't have the advantage of his youth training environment who will have the opportunity to catch up.

3 hours ago, MethaneMan said:

By all appearances Bo doesn't seem to be a prima donna and he very much appears to be a team guy. I also think that it'll be good for college wrestling if Bo does not go to Penn State. Reason being is I believe he's the kind of personality, worker and generational talent that is going to attract more top recruits to wherever he lands. That could create a seismic shift in the balance of power between Penn State and everybody else. Similar to how David Taylor taking over at Ok State looks like one of the few things that has the potential to knock PSU off it's course. Some drama in the team race will bring more eyes to the sport and make those 3 days in March even more exhilarating. 

100% this. 

By all appearances he seems to be a good kid and is marketable. As long as he keeps on this path it's good for the sport and whichever school he chooses. 

• Brain 1

33 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

No shame in making AA; that's a compliment. But there's also plenty of kids who don't have the advantage of his youth training environment who will have the opportunity to catch up.

He just took second in a last chance bracket placing ahead of Anthony Ashnault, Jaydin Eierman, Dean Heil, Michael McGee....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to define the word leader in a way which makes it a valuable commodity as opposed to an archetype that gets dropped by default on the best wrestler in the room.

Example, people on here, confident of his role as a leader, have described how Taylor must be a tremendous teacher and mentor for Aaron Brooks and Bo Nickal, then we find out he refused to wrestle Brooks for years and hid an injury NIckal so he wouldn't be able to medal at his weight at worlds. Does this disqualify him from leader status? Does a leader have to embody an institution and put its needs before theirs? Or can you just be a really good example of how to wrestle and train?

Ok...so not on his College team, but competing with the guy who was his biggest threat to make the Olympic team, Taylor and Brooks didn't train("out of respect," per Brooks) and then the knee injury presumably in 2019 that he tried to rehab? And you're claim is that he "hid" the injury so Nickal couldn't Wrestle(though he did) and the purpose of hiding it was to prevent Nickal from winning a medal? I thought he was just trying to rehab and was unable to do so. 

So in this case, he'd have had to work out with Brooks and disclose his injury to Nickal so he'd cut down to 86 instead of going 92KG where he couldn' beat Cox? 

I'm not sure how either would be disqualifying or how they relate to what was pretty clearly a discussion about College Teammates. 

No, a leader doesn't have to put anyone's goals before his own or it's "needs." They need to do the right things. They can lead by example, they can be vocal. You want a precise definition, go look up the definition of leader. I feel like most people who's been around the sport know it when they see it. 

-Good Role Model
-Lead by example
-Don't get into trouble
-Don't get arrested for rape or crash your truck into people(so it definitely doesn't just get "dropped" on the best Wrestler in the room). 

If you get hired one of the 3-4 blue blood programs in the Sport and it's probably the most consequential move in the sport in ~15 years, I'd guess it's safe to say you're a good leader. 

If you want ME to give you an exact and all encompassing definition of a leader...I'm probably not going to be able to do so. 

Edited by scourge165

Posted (edited)

On the subject of leadership, Cael Sanderson has talked about being a servant leader. Even the head coach takes his turn cleaning the mats or sweeping up, for example. 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Bob 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Different sport

He also went undefeated in college opens this year, with a win over a NQ and in one of those opens he didn’t go past the first period including beating the guy that finished 3rd in D2 (the only match that lasted longer than 2 minutes)

Edited by 1032004
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

On the subject of leadership, Cael Sanderson has talked about being a servant leader. Even the head coach takes his turn cleaning the mats or sweeping up, for example. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Ok...so not on his College team, but competing with the guy who was his biggest threat to make the Olympic team, Taylor and Brooks didn't train("out of respect," per Brooks) and then the knee injury presumably in 2019 that he tried to rehab? And you're claim is that he "hid" the injury so Nickal couldn't Wrestle(though he did) and the purpose of hiding it was to prevent Nickal from winning a medal? I thought he was just trying to rehab and was unable to do so. 

So in this case, he'd have had to work out with Brooks and disclose his injury to Nickal so he'd cut down to 86 instead of going 92KG where he couldn' beat Cox? 

I'm not sure how either would be disqualifying or how they relate to what was pretty clearly a discussion about College Teammates. 

No, a leader doesn't have to put anyone's goals before his own or it's "needs." They need to do the right things. They can lead by example, they can be vocal. You want a precise definition, go look up the definition of leader. I feel like most people who's been around the sport know it when they see it. 

-Good Role Model
-Lead by example
-Don't get into trouble
-Don't get arrested for rape or crash your truck into people(so it definitely doesn't just get "dropped" on the best Wrestler in the room). 

If you get hired one of the 3-4 blue blood programs in the Sport and it's probably the most consequential move in the sport in ~15 years, I'd guess it's safe to say you're a good leader. 

If you want ME to give you an exact and all encompassing definition of a leader...I'm probably not going to be able to do so. 

TBH, i think I lost the plot of the thread on the first page when I let the verbiage transition from "teammate" to "leader". I brought forth complaints about taylor which make much more sense in one context than the other. So, the waters are really muddy now, if you can think of a clarifying question i will answer.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, H82Lose said:

My top schools I think it will come down to. Penn St, Iowa, Okie State or the dark horse Rutgers. 

Is Rutgers planning to hire his dad to be the associate head coach?  That’s the only way I see him having Rutgers in the top four and honestly he’s already said that schools have offered his dad jobs and he didn’t really seem to appreciate that.

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Same sport, different scoring sequences.

Same sport - just different name, rules, moves, technique, scoring system, training protocol, and skills.

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Same sport - just different name, rules, moves, technique, scoring system, training protocol, and skills.

And yet, the same athletes and the same coaches.

The way I look at it is Mugsy Bogues had different moves, techniques, training protocols, and skills than Shaquille O'Neal, but they played the same sport.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The way I look at it is Mugsy Bogues had different moves, techniques, training protocols, and skills than Shaquille O'Neal, but they played the same sport.

a Muggsy reference, nice

On 7/8/2024 at 11:48 AM, Hammerlock3 said:

so if you train hard and aren't actively trying to abuse your teammates on a personal level you're a leader?

You're simplifying this. Kids follow the best, that's how a culture is formed. At VT Mekhi Lewis and Bryce Andonian set the tone in the room. Neither are overly vocal but younger kids gravitate towards them and follow their habits from training to taking care of yourself off the mat and living life as a D1 athlete in such a demanding sport. All they have to do to be a leader is allow others to observe how they approach the sport.

18 hours ago, scourge165 said:

-Good Role Model
-Lead by example
-Don't get into trouble

Better explanation of the entire discussion than I can give.

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Nah - your analogy is more like comparing Figeroa to Kirkvliet. Different size but still folkstyle.

There's plenty of college wrestlers who are the same size as freestylers but are just not good at freestyle; and vice versa.