beating both Brands brothers

stumbled across an interview with Jason Kelber the other day. got me thinking, what wrestlers have wins over both Brands brothers?

Kelber does (HS over Tom, college over Terry)

Kendall Cross (college over Tom, freestyle over Terry)

maybe some other Iowa guys in HS like Chad Zaputil and Dan Knight?

Alan Fried beat Tom in college and maybe one or both of them at junior nationals in freestyle?

anyone obvious that I'm missing?

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I don't think he has wins over them, but pretty sure their dad beat both of them. That level of surliness doesn't come from nowhere.

According to Brands, their dad was an abusive alcoholic which is why TnT don't drink.

27 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

According to Brands, their dad was an abusive alcoholic which is why TnT don't drink.

off topic but I watched an interview with spencer yesterday where he said hes never had alcohol, among a slew of other things like a doughnut.

2 minutes ago, BAC said:

The way Lewis just fed Brands his hips...

Brands young as heck there and looking to scrap and Lewis is just play wrestling. 

Kelber and Cross might be a complete list.  Who were their college losses?

Tom was 159-7-2.  He lost at Midlands his senior year to Alan Fried.  His junior year he was undefeated.  His sophomore year he lost to Dave Zuniga at Big Tens and to Alan Fried I think at an open or maybe an early season dual.  His freshman year he was 32-4-2.  He lost to Kendall Cross and Jim Martin at NCAAs and also lost to Martin in the finals of Midlands.  I'm not sure about the 4th loss.

Terry's record is 137-7.  He was undefeated as a senior.  His junior year his only loss was to Kelber in the NCAA final.  His sophomore year he was 33-2.  One loss was in an early season open to Gary McCall and the other one may have been that double DQ with Jeff Prescott.  His freshman year he lost 4 matches.  Two of those were at the Midlands to Larry Jones and Jack Griffith.  Not sure about the other two.  Maybe Steve Martin at some open?

3 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

off topic but I watched an interview with spencer yesterday where he said hes never had alcohol, among a slew of other things like a doughnut.

Barry Davis would like a word.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, 11986 said:

stumbled across an interview with Jason Kelber the other day. got me thinking, what wrestlers have wins over both Brands brothers?

Kelber does (HS over Tom, college over Terry)

Kendall Cross (college over Tom, freestyle over Terry)

maybe some other Iowa guys in HS like Chad Zaputil and Dan Knight?

Alan Fried beat Tom in college and maybe one or both of them at junior nationals in freestyle?

anyone obvious that I'm missing?

Fried pinned Tom at Midlands his sophomore year at OSU, and he also teched Tom in 87 at junior nationals 16-0.  Overall though Tom has more wins against Alan.  I think it was the first year Alan won junior nationals (won it 4 times), he had both nofd the Brands and Lincoln McIlravy in his bracket.

• Bob 1

10 hours ago, 11986 said:

not sure. but here's Randy Lewis pinning Tom 

I wrestled Lewis a couple years before this.  It was in a folkstyle collegiate open, he had moved up to 142 and planted me in a similar way.  I had never felt more pinned in my life.

• Bob 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I wrestled Lewis a couple years before this.  It was in a folkstyle collegiate open, he had moved up to 142 and planted me in a similar way.  I had never felt more pinned in my life.

i'm not laughing at you - but with you.  If you ever stepped on a mat with the likes of Lewis you are likely many levels above the best version of me.

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

i'm not laughing at you - but with you.  If you ever stepped on a mat with the likes of Lewis you are likely many levels above the best version of me.

40 years later I vividly remember not being able to move off my back after he threw me.  I was a freshman and my senior captain came up to me after the match and gave me a titty-twister and said, "what's your excuse, you have two of these".  (Lewis was born without one pectoralis muscle).

• Bob 1

18 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Steve Albini once said something like "One prerequisite for holding any public office ought to be documented proof that the candidate has taken psychedelic drugs." I kinda get it. I don't trust people like Lee. They seem to be missing out on lots of quientessentially human experiences.

• Bob 3

52 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Steve Albini once said something like "One prerequisite for holding any public office ought to be documented proof that the candidate has taken psychedelic drugs." I kinda get it. I don't trust people like Lee. They seem to be missing out on lots of quientessentially human experiences.

I get all my political advice from audio engineers.

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Hear you but after watching the video, Lee doesn’t come across like Todd  Marinovich or anything he’s just a nerdy kid outside of wrestling. Experiencing things in that and all good 

Edited by 11986
  • Bob 1