Donny Pritzlaff new Columbia HC

35 minutes ago, feet2back said:

Good luck to him...Should be interesting who Rutgers brings in to fill his spot

I hear that there might be a guy who has three sons looking for a home.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I hear that there might be a guy who has three sons looking for a home.

These three?

hqdefault.jpg

D3

• Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It’s interesting that Donny takes over for Tanelli at Columbia.  Tanelli was seven or eight years behind Donny at UW.  Was Donny holding out for a bigger job, or did Tanelli make Columbia a more desirable job?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

It’s interesting that Donny takes over for Tanelli at Columbia.  Tanelli was seven or eight years behind Donny at UW.  Was Donny holding out for a bigger job, or did Tanelli make Columbia a more desirable job?

A more desirable job?  Tanelli left that job for a position that would be considered a lateral move for Pritzlaff... 

• Brain 1

Keep in mind, gents, that we don't know what's going on in people's personal lives.  We see the surface, that is all.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

A more desirable job?  Tanelli left that job for a position that would be considered a lateral move for Pritzlaff... 

Pretty much, although most would consider VT a step above Rutgers.   COL most likely a factor for Tanelli as well.   Depending on where he lives, Pritzlaff may not even need to move.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Pretty much, although most would consider VT a step above Rutgers.   COL most likely a factor for Tanelli as well.   Depending on where he lives, Pritzlaff may not even need to move.

A step above in terms of program quality, agreed.

Location and conference point to Rutgers. Compensation probably a wash.  QOL and COL may point to VT, depending on your perspective. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Tanelli is making more as the head assistant at VT than he was as HC at Columbia even before cost of living adjustments. Not even sure Columbia is paying Pritzlaff more than what he was making at Rutgers

That being said, unless your name is David Taylor, this is the type of risk one needs to take to be a head coach. There are a lot of assistant coaches seemingly waiting for the perfect opportunity to move to the head chair. And they will keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Best of luck to Pritzlaff. The more competition in the Ivy League, the better.

• Bob 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

5 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

I am asking if Tanelli made the Columbia job a more desirable job than it was before he took it over.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

A step above in terms of program quality, agreed.

Location and conference point to Rutgers. Compensation probably a wash.  QOL and COL may point to VT, depending on your perspective. 

I would much rather living in Blacksburg than New Brunswick. Perhaps I am the exception and not the rule. 

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

I am asking if Tanelli made the Columbia job a more desirable job than it was before he took it over.

Yes and no. 

There's a decent chance that the reason it took so long to make an announcement was that a few 'candidates' turned it down after getting matching offers from current employers. Which is a tactic that some play to gain leverage with their AD. 

Story that Kyle Dake turned down a boat load of money to be a head coach. My guess is that it was Columbia. Being from New York and the Ivy League it makes sense to me that Columbia could be getting nervous that no one wants to be there. Tanelli leaving for greener pastures. Much like the previous coach did too. Too many turning down their offers. I would guess the amount that needed to be offered for DP to move from a Big Ten roster/budget/salary to an Ivy League school with the legacy it currently has, must be enough to take that risk. So, yes, made it more desirable by driving up the salary. 

How long does DP stay? 

3-5 years, 75%

5-8 years, 50%

8+ years, <25%

• Bob 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Disagree...Rutgers wrestles in Best Conference in USA and has a much bigger fan base in a Wrestling rich NJ...Facility wise RU blows away VT...VT has really been getting better every year.....Both Programs have had 2 NCAA Champions in their history and probably about same # AA in last 10 years...I would put Programs as pretty equal right now ( slight edge to RU) and IMO..VT program isn't a step above RU overall

Funny thing is both coaches met numerous time on the mat in College..Goodale wrestled for Lock Haven and Robie for Clarion...Same weight and same Conference ..PSAC

Edited by feet2back
  • Brain 1

3 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Yes and no. 

There's a decent chance that the reason it took so long to make an announcement was that a few 'candidates' turned it down after getting matching offers from current employers. Which is a tactic that some play to gain leverage with their AD. 

Story that Kyle Dake turned down a boat load of money to be a head coach. My guess is that it was Columbia. Being from New York and the Ivy League it makes sense to me that Columbia could be getting nervous that no one wants to be there. Tanelli leaving for greener pastures. Much like the previous coach did too. Too many turning down their offers. I would guess the amount that needed to be offered for DP to move from a Big Ten roster/budget/salary to an Ivy League school with the legacy it currently has, must be enough to take that risk. So, yes, made it more desirable by driving up the salary. 

How long does DP stay? 

3-5 years, 75%

5-8 years, 50%

8+ years, <25%

I thought the Dake rumor was last offseason? I would lean towards Pyle’s guess of Oklahoma, as Richison may have been involved there as well.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I thought the Dake rumor was last offseason? I would lean towards Pyle’s guess of Oklahoma, as Richison may have been involved there as well.

Dake may have gotten too young to be a head coach!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Going to be a different atmosphere for Pritzlaff...Going from 6 thousand paid fans a match to 16 in a Middle sxhool atmosphere who get in for free

Edited by feet2back
  • Bob 1

Agree.  Surprised he’s taken the job.  Thought he’d hold out for something bigger, more prestigious. If he still lives in NJ and commutes it will be brutal.

He must've wanted out at RU.  Maybe him and Goodale ran their course?  Ash just left not long ago.

Don’t see any in depth interviews with him yet.  RU try to counter and retain him?  Doesn’t appear so.

15 hours ago, feet2back said:

Disagree...Rutgers wrestles in Best Conference in USA and has a much bigger fan base in a Wrestling rich NJ...Facility wise RU blows away VT...VT has really been getting better every year.....Both Programs have had 2 NCAA Champions in their history and probably about same # AA in last 10 years...I would put Programs as pretty equal right now ( slight edge to RU) and IMO..VT program isn't a step above RU overall

Funny thing is both coaches met numerous time on the mat in College..Goodale wrestled for Lock Haven and Robie for Clarion...Same weight and same Conference ..PSAC

This is scary wrong...

• Brain 1

43 minutes ago, Phantom said:

This is scary wrong...

Last ten years team finishes at NCAA's:

VT: 8, 10, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 8, 9, 7 = Avg of 8.5

RU: 34, 31, 15, 19, 11, 9, 13, 20, 34, 20 = Avg of 18.8

14 minutes ago, Gus said:

Last ten years team finishes at NCAA's:

VT: 8, 10, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 8, 9, 7 = Avg of 8.5

RU: 34, 31, 15, 19, 11, 9, 13, 20, 34, 20 = Avg of 18.8 - 10 = 8.8

But but they are in the "Best Conference in USA" so you need to subtract 10, see above they are statistically the same.  🙄

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PJ141 said:

Agree.  Surprised he’s taken the job.  Thought he’d hold out for something bigger, more prestigious. If he still lives in NJ and commutes it will be brutal.

He must've wanted out at RU.  Maybe him and Goodale ran their course?  Ash just left not long ago.

Don’t see any in depth interviews with him yet.  RU try to counter and retain him?  Doesn’t appear so.

Donny wanted and deserved a HC job but didn’t want to uproot his family so he waited for an opportunity that allowed him to have both. He didn’t want out of RU except if the right job opened up and there definitely was no falling out with Goodale. 

• Bob 3

14 hours ago, PJ141 said:

Why is that brutal? He can just go over the GW bridge. Or he could move to the city and live in the housing they provide.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:59 AM, Idaho said:

Can he get the wrestling room through all the protesting ..... or is that not a thing anymore? 

I'm pretty sure nobody will ever want to go to Columbia again after those couple of weeks. They might be in danger of having an admission rate above 5%. 

14 hours ago, PJ141 said:

Princeton was not a good job until they had a billionaire donor and great/motivated coach.  With some resources, Columbia could easily go on the same path. Whether that happens, I don't know, but the ceiling is high. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 1

47 minutes ago, Mike said:

Donny wanted and deserved a HC job but didn’t want to uproot his family so he waited for an opportunity that allowed him to have both. He didn’t want out of RU except if the right job opened up and there definitely was no falling out with Goodale. 

Did he apply for Princeton?  Depending on where he lives that and Rider are probably the only others within reasonable commuting distance