When Taunting Goes Wrong!

This gem popped up on a twitter feed.  Kyle Todrank taunts Jason Nolf and immediately pays for it.  Trying to think of other instances of taunting gone wrong

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Todrank (who at best was below average for DI) knew he was going to get blasted, but he was wrestling up from 149, lasted longer than expected, and scored legitimate points against Nolf.  It was stupid to taunt him, but he still had a better night than he expected.

He fights MMA now.  He said this about that match during an interview:

“My whole wrestling career, I was a s***head,” Todrank laughed. “I talked s*** during matches, I did little antics here and there; I did this my whole career. It was [Nolf’s] senior night, so I had come to the decision that I wasn’t going to do my antics or talk mess. At a point, he shoved me and I kind of shoved him back, then the way I wrestle, I try to circle and create angles. He got frustrated trying to chase me down, so he double foot jumped at me and I heard a whole section of the audience laugh at me. When I heard them laugh at me I was like, ‘All right, f*** it, I’m turning it on now.’”

Edited by KCMO2
  • Bob 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

This gem popped up on a twitter feed.  Kyle Todrank taunts Jason Nolf and immediately pays for it.  Trying to think of other instances of taunting gone wrong

Yea that’s exactly what I want to see more of. Thanks for sharing. 

2 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Todrank (who at best was below average for DI) knew he was going to get blasted, but he was wrestling up from 149, lasted longer than expected, and scored legitimate points against Nolf.  It was stupid to taunt him, but he still had a better night than he expected.

He fights MMA now.  He said this about that match during an interview:

“My whole wrestling career, I was a s***head,” Todrank laughed. “I talked s*** during matches, I did little antics here and there; I did this my whole career. It was [Nolf’s] senior night, so I had come to the decision that I wasn’t going to do my antics or talk mess. At a point, he shoved me and I kind of shoved him back, then the way I wrestle, I try to circle and create angles. He got frustrated trying to chase me down, so he double foot jumped at me and I heard a whole section of the audience laugh at me. When I heard them laugh at me I was like, ‘All right, f*** it, I’m turning it on now.’”

He's such a little guy...

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/291453-kyle-todrank

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I always thought of this as an example of when taunting goes right.

My wife is the quiet type who does not like to draw attention. I am...well, let's just say opposites attract.

At my first job we had a monthly poker game for small stakes. When I told my wife that when I got up in the game the rest of the table was going to hear about it, she thought that was a bad idea because I might lose. I thought it was a good idea to get my licks in when I was winning, also because I might lose.

Kyle Todrank is my people. He knew he was going to go down in flames, so when he scored a fluke takedown, he had to let everyone know about it.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I always thought of this as an example of when taunting goes right.

My wife is the quiet type who does not like to draw attention. I am...well, let's just say opposites attract.

At my first job we had a monthly poker game for small stakes. When I told my wife that when I got up in the game the rest of the table was going to hear about it, she thought that was a bad idea because I might lose. I thought it was a good idea to get my licks in when I was winning, also because I might lose.

Kyle Todrank is my people. He knew he was going to go down in flames, so when he scored a fluke takedown, he had to let everyone know about it.

It's a quote I live by: "Life is one big fight that you always lose but you can get a few punches in on the way down"

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Didn't an MSU guy taunt nolf after taking him down and then proceed to get pinned?

An MSU guy had Nolf on his back at the Keystone Open. I was about as close as possible to the action. It was only a split second but it garnered some fan reaction.

15 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

the dumb thing about it was that he only reversed him...that doesn't really earn a taunt in my mind.

This was Nolf that he reversed... definitely not chopped liver!

He would've been a real "hero" had he survived the bout w/o getting decked!

(Albeit getting pounded on in the process, naturally. 😏)

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

11 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

D3

Yeah you get what I'm saying, good wrestlers mind getting reversed, they just get out and its a wash.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Todrank now trains and coaches in TX.  He coaches at a club called WAR.  To put it lightly this guy rubs everyone wrong.  I have not talked to him and I will not talk to him, even when coaching against his club team, because I would probably lose it on him.  He is a guy that has a lot of passion, but his immaturity is horrible.  The way he acts during matches is rediculous.  At first I wrote it off as a young coach with a lot of excitement, but he will start taunting wrestlers, saying comments to other wrestlers and coaches, and it is a sh*t show.  After reading the article, it is probably just his personality, but moving into coaching, I hope for his sake he can clean it up and mature into acting like an adult. 

Does anyone remember when Spencer Lee was upset with Killian Cardinale for doing the “stalling” signal when getting majored (he talked about it in an interview just didn’t name him)?  I was going to list that, but I rewatched the match and I don’t think it was bad.  Looks like he was just doing it towards the ref trying to get the call 

• Bob 2

21 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

D3

Tangential questions: Would you rather get pinned in the NCAA finals or finish 3rd? What about getting teched or tech-decked in the finals? If you would rather get 3rd than be embarrassed in the finals, would it change your mind if you were able able to score some points other than from releases? What you Todrinked yourself?

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

(he talked about it in an interview just didn’t name him)

I loved this. Lee acted like Cardinals was so insignificant that he couldn't remember his name. BS. It bothered Lee that Cardinale didn't just concede after the two sets of backs in the first.

Re context: Lee backed straight out of bounds. It was a textbook stall. Cardinale did seem to be motioning to the ref.

Edit: Plus, I don't think this situation satisfies the "goes wrong" criteria. Lee -- if I'm remembering correctly -- didn't respond. He was satisfied to just hold pisition. 

Edited by jackwebster

9 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I loved this. Lee acted like Cardinals was so insignificant that he couldn't remember his name. BS. It bothered Lee that Cardinale didn't just concede after the two sets of backs in the first.

Re context: Lee backed straight out of bounds. It was a textbook stall. Cardinale did seem to be motioning to the ref.

This was when Lee had zero ACLs.  The next year it was Cardinale with the bad knee.  He wrestled extremely tough, but didn't taunt anyone that year.

• Bob 1

26 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This was when Lee had zero ACLs.  The next year it was Cardinale with the bad knee.  He wrestled extremely tough, but didn't taunt anyone that year.

All true. But, I still think Lee protested too much by pretending that he didn't know his name.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Tangential questions: Would you rather get pinned in the NCAA finals or finish 3rd? What about getting teched or tech-decked in the finals? If you would rather get 3rd than be embarrassed in the finals, would it change your mind if you were able able to score some points other than from releases? What you Todrinked yourself?

Well... no, I didn't think that I Todrinked myself, jw.

My above response was just a snark on what he did... (is there a "snarky" emoticon to add, or just add the (s) at the end of my post.)

Jus' sayin'.

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Well... no, I didn't think that I Todrinked myself, jw.

My above response was just a snark on what he did... (is there a "snarky" emoticon to add, or just add the (s) at the end of my post.)

Jus' sayin'.

D3

My bad ... These were just questions for the board. (Snark understood)

• Wrestle 1