Lineup Logjams

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Gantry said:

But is all this smoke based on that one interview?  That is my question as I haven't seen any other ink about it...  Given he was thinking 74kg for OTTs I would think 184 is a better fit for him.  And quite frankly the 4x champ gets to pick where he goes

It isn't from one interview.  It is from every interview's insinuations and whatnot.  Starocci has said in one interview, yes.  There have been dozens of interviews with the coaching staff as well that keep saying they're excited about Barr at 184lbs to see what he can do.

Maths is easy.

Edit:  Also, he was never making 74 KG and hasn't been that light since his Frosh year in high school.  That had a considerably less chance of happening than him going 197lbs next season.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I think Botero is flying under the radar a bit. What I like about him similarly to deluca is that he will be a lifer at 125 which you cannot say about many guys. Catrabones ability on top is going to make him dangerous I just hope he develops from neutral a bit.

I am pretty stoked at the notion of him as a 125lb lifer.  I think Horwath was trying to cut too much weight for 125lbs last year and will have a 'bounce back' season this year.  I do think he will still try for 125lbs with Ragusin at 133lbs this year, but once Ragusin is out he will slide in up at 133lbs.

Catrabones reminds me of Hepner.  I hope he develops his neutral game a bit more.  I also think he is flying under the radar a bit as well.  He could win a few 2-0 matches early in his career until folks get the tape on him.

15 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Gilcher beat Watter at dapper dan so to see the level of disparity between their two seasons was quite odd. Watters did hurt his knee in that match, but it was still a bit shocking to me especially when you think of the two programs they are at.

I agree with this almost entirely.

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

It isn't from one interview.  It is from every interview's insinuations and whatnot.  Starocci has said in one interview, yes.  There have been dozens of interviews with the coaching staff as well that keep saying they're excited about Barr at 184lbs to see what he can do.

Maths is easy.

Edit:  Also, he was never making 74 KG and hasn't been that light since his Frosh year in high school.  That had a considerably less chance of happening than him going 197lbs next season.

I think when it comes down to it Carter at 197 fits the lineup best. Mirasola could certainly go right away but why waste his RS if you do not need to. carter at any other weight puts one of levi,Facundo,Ryder,barr on the bench.

I won't see 149lbs, I don't think.  I think he is already bigger than that, meaning 157lbs.  Throw him in the weight room and let him run out at 174lbs after next season.  I really think the Mantanonas should be 165/174 for them AFTer next season.  That will give Michigan their best lineup possible, with the other gents sliding in to 149/157 accordingly.
I like Gilcher for 157 and I think some (a lot) of his problems when he started the year last year weren't just him being young, but him cutting too much weight as a true frosh.  149 is just a shit weight for anyone with Olympic aspirations that isn't truly elite already.
In my perfect world this is what they are rolling out in two seasons:
125 - Botero (true frosh)
133 - Horwath/Walker
141 - Lemley
149 - Gates/Catrabone (Cooper redshirt)
157 - Gilcher
165 - Mantanona
174 - Mantanona
184 - Veazy (true frosh)
197 - Walters (Correa redshirt)
285 - Jenkins (Sahakian redshirt)
That is a very young lineup that has potential to be better if Sahakian beats out Jenkins from the get-go.  The Mantanona's have long frames, too, so they could grow even more.
Also interesting note:  Troy Mantanona still has a year of eligibility left were he to choose to use it.

Dude, where is Joel Adams?

Also doesn’t Sahakian have another year of high school or am I crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Dude, where is Joel Adams?

Also doesn’t Sahakian have another year of high school or am I crazy?

A ) Adams hasn't been active in Folkstyle or MFS, so it's hard to gauge where he will sit.  It could be 149, it could be 141. Edit: 67 KG is ~147.7lbs FWIW (for example, Omania for Michigan State was 7W - 13L the year after making the national team at 67 KG.  It doesn't always translate well.

B ) I said 'in two years' in my post.

Edited by nhs67

A ) Adams hasn't been active in Folkstyle or MFS, so it's hard to gauge where he will sit.  It could be 149, it could be 141. Edit: 67 KG is ~147.7lbs FWIW
B ) I said 'in two years' in my post.

A) Do you anticipate Adam’s even joining the team or perhaps going the full time Greco route?

B) oh, sorry I blew up

Adams is no longer on their roster on wrestlestat. I don't know if that's because he was unenrolled this past year chasing the Olympics or if it's because he's just simply not going to be on the team.

6 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

A) Do you anticipate Adam’s even joining the team or perhaps going the full time Greco route?

B) oh, sorry I blew up

5 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Adams is no longer on their roster on wrestlestat. I don't know if that's because he was unenrolled this past year chasing the Olympics or if it's because he's just simply not going to be on the team.

He trained at the OTC last year, so it wasn't even a redshirt, it was a deferred year (Greyshirt).

Brands says his intention is to go 174 so now you have PK,Arnold,Brands all potentially going 174 and throw in Angelo who seems to want to go right away and Caliendo + siebricht who may both be in the mix for 157. These are good problems for Iowa but at the same time they could potentially not have a guy good enough to qualify at 133,141 so it seems odd to have that much talent up top and nobody down low.

54 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Brands says his intention is to go 174 so now you have PK,Arnold,Brands all potentially going 174 and throw in Angelo who seems to want to go right away and Caliendo + siebricht who may both be in the mix for 157. These are good problems for Iowa but at the same time they could potentially not have a guy good enough to qualify at 133,141 so it seems odd to have that much talent up top and nobody down low.

Has Brands discovered a new shirt to add to the closet?  We already have the GS grey-shirt so shall we call it a BS betting-shirt?

Isn't Angelo bumping to 197 to go after Starocci? 

18 minutes ago, ionel said:

Has Brands discovered a new shirt to add to the closet?  We already have the GS grey-shirt so shall we call it a BS betting-shirt?

he got a medical red shirt he was on the last FRL talking about everything pretty good listen honestly.

3 hours ago, MPhillips said:

McCrone RS's...:classic_huh:

McCrone already used his Redshirt, didn't he?

18 hours ago, ionel said:

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No, that's Gabe.

With AJ obviously going 197 next year for Iowa, now we have a new log jam. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Barr could also go up to 197 for a year if Carter can't get big enough for 197.

Hate to say it, but Barr's needs and desires are second fiddle to that of the 4x NCAA champ. 

Carter is going be as wide as a house at 197, though. I think he'll be just fine. He was a couple weeks removed from a season at 174, had been making his way down, couldn't do it, and still gave Hidlay a great match at 189.

11 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Barr could also go up to 197 for a year if Carter can't get big enough for 197.

Hate to say it, but Barr's needs and desires are second fiddle to that of the 4x NCAA champ. 

Carter is going be as wide as a house at 197, though. I think he'll be just fine. He was a couple weeks removed from a season at 174, had been making his way down, couldn't do it, and still gave Hidlay a great match at 189.

Starrocci is taller than Brooks so I think he will actually be more proportioned at 197 than AB.