Mark Hall to Oklahoma

2 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

I think you are thinking Oklahoma State, he is going to the Sooners with kish, Sykura, Marsdon and Ware.

I’m kind of astonished to hear this.  He sounded rather done with the sport when they interviews him after world team trials.

Can’t blame him, 99% of wrestlers end their careers that way.

15 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I’m kind of astonished to hear this.  He sounded rather done with the sport when they interviews him after world team trials.

Mark is quite Young, 26 I believe. His aspiration has been to get into coaching which he has been doing while he's been competing.

• Bob 2

Posted (edited)

I seem to recall the Director of Ops roles are prohibited from working with the college team from a coaching or practice standpoint.  Purely an administrative role.  Is this still the case?

11.7.2 Noncoaching Staff Member with Sport-Specific Responsibilities. [A] A noncoaching staff member with sport-specific responsibilities (e.g., director of operations, administrative assistant) is prohibited from participating in on-court or on-field activities (e.g., assist with drills, throw batting practice, signal plays) and is prohibited from participating with or observing student-athletes in the staff member's sport who are engaged in nonorganized voluntary athletically related activities (e.g., pick-up games). (Adopted: 1/16/10, Revised: 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14)

Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 1

44 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I think you are over estimating. Only 83% of wrestlers end their careers that way.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think you are over estimating. Only 83% of wrestlers end their careers that way.

... and swimmers? 

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

Na just done with the grind of competing ,he even mentioned his senior yr of college he might not wrestle freestyle at all and just jump into coaching as that’s his long term goal , I think it was more others pushing him to keep competing for a few years and he gave it a cycle and now it’s time to move on to admin stuff 

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Na just done with the grind of competing ,he even mentioned his senior yr of college he might not wrestle freestyle at all and just jump into coaching as that’s his long term goal , I think it was more others pushing him to keep competing for a few years and he gave it a cycle and now it’s time to move on to admin stuff 

You seriously think he was going to skip his best style and stop competing because his long term goal was to be a coach and not an athlete?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

18 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

You seriously think he was going to skip his best style and stop competing because his long term goal was to be a coach and not an athlete?

What I’m saying is he was a bit burned out and I’m sure bummed out by the end of his senior year and had more coaching aspirations then world level wrestling ones 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Dude has to make a living!  I think that Mark has passion for the sport still, but it just lies in the coaching and administration side of it now.  Plus - some athletes want a life outside of the competition.  Maybe Mark just was done worrying about having to prep himself to compete.  He sounded like he had no desire to cut weight, and wasn't going to be at the top of the totem pole with 86k due to size; a true tweener situation.

Edited by BloodRound

15 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

I believe his role will lead him to the head coaching job in two to three years and good for him!

How many other D1 college coaches have taken the Director of Wrestling Operations job, before becoming a Head Coach? 

15 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

I think you are thinking Oklahoma State, he is going to the Sooners with kish, Sykura, Marsdon and Ware.

OU needs all the help they can get. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, BloodRound said:

Dude has to make a living!  I think that Mark has passion for the sport still, but it just lies in the coaching and administration side of it now.  Plus - some athletes want a life outside of the competition.  Maybe Mark just was done worrying about having to prep himself to compete.  He sounded like he had no desire to cut weight, and wasn't going to be at the top of the totem pole with 86k due to size; a true tweener situation.

That’s not my quote you quoted me in lol , I agree with you Ive known since he was still in college that coaching and not competing was his long term passion 

9 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I can’t imagine he did, he was an RTC athlete and coach, not a student as far as I know.

If he did, good for him, penn is legit. 

yeah, I'd be a lot less internally cynical about his career if he did.

Just now, ionel said:

Depends on the degree don't you think.

if he got a lesbian dance theory degree I'd be marginally less impressed than if he got a masters in business.