Big coaching hires in the wings?

OkSt hiring David Taylor stirred the college wrestling world up. In some ways it suggests that Cael’s system has definitively replaced Gable’s system as the gold standard.

But it also showed that wrestling programs can be willing to invest big in potential coaches — who they may not have talked to before — and who they think will be big names and capable CEOs.

Who else fits that bill? And for that matter, what wrestling programs could eventually use a new face? Or what programs are sleeping giants? Cael, of course, identified PSU as a sleeping giant and the rest is history.

A few big names: Spencer Lee, JB, Snyder, Dake. Potential big names: AB, Starocci, Vito.

Sleeping giants: USC. Maryland (near Pennsylvania & NJ & in a big metro area). UT Austin. 

There isn't anybody feasible at this point as big as Taylor.  Burroughs seems extremely unlikely to coach, and Spencer has always talked about wanting to go in administration (like, to be an AD), not coaching.

I think the next biggest name would be Ben Askren who is feasible, but it seems like he's only looking at Wisconsin if he does it.

I think that Okie State is one of maybe 3 schools that would be willing to provide the resources necessary to shake up the wrestling world. There is no shortage of candidates that could make a big splash in the world of college wrestling but more universities are willing to pump out the $$ that Okie State, PSU, and Iowa are willing to. ADs and Universities do not see the ROI of hiring a multi-million dollar staff and resources. 

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I think the next biggest name would be Ben Askren who is feasible, but it seems like he's only looking at Wisconsin if he does it.

Askren started posting videos on his AWA YoutTube channel and he touched on why he "probably will never coach in college" and it's essentially what everyone has already thought. He doesn't want to answer to anybody and he wants to do his own thing, doesn't want rich boosters, admins, etc. telling him what he's gotta do. 7:20ish mark. 

I'd love to see him take a HC role to shake things up but doesn't seem likely unfortunately. 

Edited by pokemonster
  • Bob 1

Posted (edited)

I could see Ohio State being up there as far as throwing around money to bring in a huge name once Tom Ryan is done, but the fact of the matter is wrestling will always take a back seat to the football program as far as focus and support. It seems like Okie State, Penn State, and Iowa all are at least on par with their football teams and might even receive more focus / support than them. I'm not sure a big name like a DT, Dake, Burroughs, Snyder, etc. would be willing to take the back seat when it comes to the AD. I'd be curious to know other's thoughts on this though. 

Edited by pokemonster

Michigan and Ohio State have what it takes department-wise, but with the way things are heading, they will have a hard time standing out in coming years.  Double the available slots to get access to the most modern “formula” is going to pull a ton of talent from the collective pool.  I would expect that Cael may see more places show up and try to poach, bc before it was “yeah they’re penn state, what’re ya gonna do?”

Now with more than one program with that playbook, scrutiny is going to go up a lot on tier 1B coaches, especially since they now see that they can in fact crack the safe and get people to leave.

It’s amazing the speed of evolution on the coaching side.  

8 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I could see Ohio State being up there as far as throwing around money to bring in a huge name once Tom Ryan is done, but the fact of the matter is wrestling will always take a back seat to the football program as far as focus and support. It seems like Okie State, Penn State, and Iowa all are at least on par with their football teams and might even receive more focus / support than them. I'm not sure a big name like a DT, Dake, Burroughs, Snyder, etc. would be willing to take the back seat when it comes to the AD. I'd be curious to know other's thoughts on this though. 

Penn state does not get anywhere the level of support that the football team gets , they view themselves as a football school for whatever reason and even the football team is miles and miles behind in terms of NIL when compared to Ohio state , Michigan and sec schools they are still a football school..penn states support outside of hiring Cael came around the time of the first 3 peat while penn state football was trying to build back still from the ncaa death sentence so they needed to embrace the only national champs in the school 

i always assumed Logan would be the next Ohio state coach , he’s on the staff , 4x ncaa champ , world champ , from Ohio. I feel if he wants the job it’s his .

I see Synder mentioned a lot but he wants to wrestle until hes 40 and I don’t think that plan has changed , honestly I can see him wrestling another 10 years until Cael retires then him replacing Cael , they are alot more similar in personalities then almost any of the PSU guys .

Dake definitely isn’t taking a backseat to administers , he was pretty out spoken about the Cornell bureaucrats back in 2020, he would need to be with an AD with a similar viewpoint on the world and that’s asking for alot with all that Dake believes ..curious to see what Dake does after the Olympics, his father meant everything to him and his wrestling, he mentioned it like they were always taking this journey together , I could see him taking a break from wrestling after he retires 

I think most assume JB is going to be a great head coach but i think he’s more suited to maybe running an RTC or OTC . He would recruit great at first but he’s not really a friendly guy and idk if he could handle not winning at program for 2-3 years . He would need a scenario where he’s stepping into an instant winning situation bc I think with any prolonged losing athletes and coaches would probably start to sour on his attitude , I don’t think people realize how arrogant he really is so I don’t think he would handle a booster or admin telling him how to do his job very well. If he stepped into iowa to replace brands I could see it working but him replacing manning ? Yearly underachievers with a low budget RTC in the middle of nowhere ? I think that would eventually turn ugly 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

i always assumed Logan would be the next Ohio state coach , he’s on the staff , 4x ncaa champ , world champ , from Ohio. I feel if he wants the job it’s his .

It'll for sure be Logan and J taking over tOsu if and when Tom leaves. But i dont think that'll be any time soon. 

• Brain 1

43 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

J Jaggers and Bo Jordan both clear $100k salaries as assistants, they’d have no problem throwing $400k plus at Ryan’s successor. 

33 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I would love to see Ben take an RTC position he would not have to answer to a university then so he should have more freedom to do as he pleases.

Ben went that route.

Him and Bono do not get along.  He won't do that if Bono is there.  If his brother Max is there, though...?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

40 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Interesting... I wonder how Coleman Scott, Zach Esposito, and Chris Perry would respond to this?

how many of them are more distinguished wrestlers then the man they are replacing and from the state ? Oklahoma state wanted to replace a legend with a legend and no offense to Scott , Espo and Perry but none of them are on the level of smith and Taylor …Logan is already levels above Tom 

43 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Interesting... I wonder how Coleman Scott, Zach Esposito, and Chris Perry would respond to this?

With a resume and a "thank you for your time". Not that it would matter. Logan and J are the guys. 

1 minute ago, TNwrestling said:

With a resume and a "thank you for your time". Not that it would matter. Logan and J are the guys. 

But it does matter, as we just saw in Stillwater.  We have had people tight with the program over the years claiming they knew who would be next... and they were all wrong.

2 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

I agree, I think Ohio State would be happy with them. I could've seen them taking a shot on DT considering Logan and him were pretty close growing up, DT grew up wrestling in Ohio, etc, but irrelevant since Okie State has him now.

The question is - who would get the job out of Logan and J, and would there be any sour grapes in picking one over the other?

1 hour ago, ZipsWrestling24 said:

J Jaggers and Bo Jordan both clear $100k salaries as assistants, they’d have no problem throwing $400k plus at Ryan’s successor. 

Yeah, Ohio State definitely has the cash money, albeit I think the tier 1 head coaches are closer to $700k - $1M rather than $400k. 

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

But it does matter, as we just saw in Stillwater.  We have had people tight with the program over the years claiming they knew who would be next... and they were all wrong.

and who were they claiming? 

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Maybe Snyder....maybe. And that'd be years down the road. He's the only one I could ever see them hiring over Stieber. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

The question is - who would get the job out of Logan and J, and would there be any sour grapes in picking one over the other?

In my extremely limited knowledge of that room (a kid i used to coach will be wrestling there next season and i get updates and videos and pics from them) I'm under the impression Logan and J are pretty even in their duties maybe? I don't know who would get the nod. I'd have to assume Logan because of his wrestling resume. But i wouldn't be at all surprised if they went an Iowa route and one gets hc and one gets associate hc and they just split everything 50/50. 

But J is associate hc now, so maybe they'd make him hc and logan associate hc?? Honestly man, i have no idea.

Edited by TNwrestling

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Espo then Perry then Scott.

Well Scott almost happened but AD beat DT.  But the other two is from people that don't understand the process a public university goes thru to hire someone.  It was never going to happen that John could just hand it over to his nephew. And beside that issue Scott went out a proved he could run a program, Espo & Perry never did.

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Well Scott almost happened but AD beat DT.  But the other two is from people that don't understand the process a public university goes thru to hire someone.  It was never going to happen that John could just hand it over to his nephew. And beside that issue Scott went out a proved he could run a program, Espo & Perry never did.

Right.  I agree with 1005 of what you said.

Which is why Stiebler/Jaggers is not guaranteed at tOSU.