• 141- Bartlett
  • 149- SVN / Kasak
  • 157- Kasak / Sealey
  • 165- Haines / MM
  • 174- MM / Facundo / Ryder
  • 184- Barr
  • 197- Starocci
  • 285- Kerk

Would the NCAA wrestling benefit from Penn State having a Penn State White team and Penn State Navy team for duals only?  When teams got too good and deep in grade school that's how we handled it.  For the tournament, they can combine

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Would the NCAA wrestling benefit from Penn State having a Penn State White team and Penn State Navy team for duals only?  When teams got too good and deep in grade school that's how we handled it.  For the tournament, they can combine

If they could do it for tournaments they may well pull off a number of all PSU finals.  It would be insane.

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Not really needed now is it?

OSU vs PSU

125: Spratley v Lilledahl 

133: Hughes v Nagao

141: Alirez v Bartlett

149: Williams v SVN 

157: Mesenbrink v Kasak

165: Haines v Sealey

174: Hamiti v Facundo

184: Plott v Barr

197: Carroll v bumb knee Starocci

285: Steveson v Kerk

I see 5 NCs for the Pokes and only 1 maybe 2 for the nit-lions.  😉

• Fire 1
  • Wrestle 2

Assuming the team stays healthy, Kerk's return has the most impact on the lineup strength.   Starroci and Bartlett could be very valuable and may be important team leaders overall (?), but the point differences compared to likely starters if they had moved on probably not like the challenge at 285 without Kerk.   I may be selling PSU short at HWT behind Kerk - never know what is going on in the room.  Even top recruits have often had early struggles at the highest weights.

I anticipate he will be on a serious pitch count next season. I'm not sure if he was dinged up at trails or it was just a bad two days, but he looked worse than I had seen him in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Great coaching, great recruiting, extra years, NIL, and easy transfers have created a perfect storm.

We are at the mercy of Cael until he’s done

Is this a new PSU thing now?  Announcing you are coming back to use all of your eligibility.   Is it a by product of the extra covid year?  Maybe I missed it when other guys have done  and the PSU guys (Starocci and Kerk, RBY last year) have higher profile but I don't get. 

How Iowa can counter (hypothetically)

125 Ayala

133 Cannon (transfer)

141 Alirez (transfer)

149 Parco (transfer)

157 Teemer (transfer)

165 Caliendo (transfer from last year)

174 Arnold

184 Ferrari

197 Ferrari

HWT Steveson

1 minute ago, Dogbone said:

Is this a new PSU thing now?  Announcing you are coming back to use all of your eligibility.   Is it a by product of the extra covid year?  Maybe I missed it when other guys have done  and the PSU guys (Starocci and Kerk, RBY last year) have higher profile but I don't get. 

Extra covid year, with a piece of NIL included.  The game is to spend a whole year acting like you are probably not coming back and leverage a bunch of NIL money to return.  Add Bartlett to your list, too.

• Bob 1

26 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

When are the extra Covid year wrestlers done? Seriously some of these dudes should have a PHD by now. 

Say you were a freshman in 2021, then your five year window starts in 2022 and ends in 2026. To make it to 2026 you need some sort of redshirt between 2022 and 2025. But there is more than one redshirt type available. And there are exceptions and waivers that can extend the five year window. Let's take a look at what is in store for you.

• Military Exception
  • Religious Mission Exception
  • Recognized Foreign Aid Services of the U.S. Government Exception
  • Conscientious Objector Exception
  • Academic Study Abroad Exception
  • Internship or Cooperative Educational Work Experience Program Exception
  • Pregnancy Exception
  • Regular Redshirt
  • Olympic Redshirt
  • Medical Year Waiver
  • Erroneous Academic Advice Waiver
  • Natural Disaster Waiver
  • Extreme Financial Difficulty Waiver
  • Circumstance of Extraordinary or Extreme Hardship Waiver

So if everything, and I mean absolutely everything, has gone wrong (floods, lost jobs, injuries, bad advice, pregnancy), and right (Olympic redshirt, pregnancy) in your life and you have a sense of duty (military, religious mission, foreign aid, pregnancy) and adventure (religious mission, study abroad, internship, pregnancy), it is possible to be around a long, long time.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Say you were a freshman in 2021, then your five year window starts in 2022 and ends in 2026. To make it to 2026 you need some sort of redshirt between 2022 and 2025. But there is more than one redshirt type available. And there are exceptions and waivers that can extend the five year window. Let's take a look at what is in store for you.

• Military Exception
  • Religious Mission Exception
  • Recognized Foreign Aid Services of the U.S. Government Exception
  • Conscientious Objector Exception
  • Academic Study Abroad Exception
  • Internship or Cooperative Educational Work Experience Program Exception
  • Pregnancy Exception
  • Regular Redshirt
  • Olympic Redshirt
  • Medical Year Waiver
  • Erroneous Academic Advice Waiver
  • Natural Disaster Waiver
  • Extreme Financial Difficulty Waiver
  • Circumstance of Extraordinary or Extreme Hardship Waiver

So if everything, and I mean absolutely everything, has gone wrong (floods, lost jobs, injuries, bad advice, pregnancy), and right (Olympic redshirt, pregnancy) in your life and you have a sense of duty (military, religious mission, foreign aid, pregnancy) and adventure (religious mission, study abroad, internship, pregnancy), it is possible to be around a long, long time.

Let's do this and see how far we can get. My friends and I always have a laugh at how old someone could potentially be and competing. Let's say you have a guy who did the 8th grade redshirt. That is how we start.

Let's say the kid graduated in 2018 at 19 years old and does a two year mission. That makes him 21 years old as a TRFR in 2020. He takes a RS but places top three in his age group world tournament (U23) in his RS year.

2021: RSFR. This is a free COVID year. He is 22 years old.

2022: RSSO. Injured. 23 years old. Three years left.

2023: Olympic redshirt for finishing top 3 in age group worlds. 24 years old.  Three years left.

2024: RSJR. Wrestles full year. 25 years old. Two years left.

2025: RSSR. Wrestles full year. 26 years old. One year left.

2026: 6th year Senior. Wrestles full year. 27 years old. Medals at senior worlds.

2027: Olympic redshirt for 2028 Olympic trials for medaling at senior worlds. 28 years old.

2028: Applies for medical waiver for injury in 2022 and it's granted. Wrestles full year. 29 years old.

Can anyone do better?

14 hours ago, peanut said:

PSU is looking to have a monster of a roster in 2024-25.

When Brands left VT to go back to Iowa he got the double recruit class, took 3 or 4 with (believe did leave a car and those keys on the counter).  When Cael left ISU for PSU took believe at least 3 with, DT was one of those.  Now crossing state lines with a unicorn seems like a federal offense, but I digress.

Surely Carl will give DT free choice to take 2 guys with to Stillwater, its only fair.  🤠

BTW:  don't all think it was grand that @BobDole thought to give us the DT new cowboy sheriff smiling emoticon, what great forethought.  🤠

• Racing Family 1

14 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Let's do this and see how far we can get. My friends and I always have a laugh at how old someone could potentially be and competing. Let's say you have a guy who did the 8th grade redshirt. That is how we start.

Let's say the kid graduated in 2018 at 19 years old and does a two year mission. That makes him 21 years old as a TRFR in 2020. He takes a RS but places top three in his age group world tournament (U23) in his RS year.

2021: RSFR. This is a free COVID year. He is 22 years old.

2022: RSSO. Injured. 23 years old. Three years left.

2023: Olympic redshirt for finishing top 3 in age group worlds. 24 years old.  Three years left.

2024: RSJR. Wrestles full year. 25 years old. Two years left.

2025: RSSR. Wrestles full year. 26 years old. One year left.

2026: 6th year Senior. Wrestles full year. 27 years old. Medals at senior worlds.

2027: Olympic redshirt for 2028 Olympic trials for medaling at senior worlds. 28 years old.

2028: Applies for medical waiver for injury in 2022 and it's granted. Wrestles full year. 29 years old.

Can anyone do better?

Daton Fix says hold my beer (oh wait, no more beers at OkieSt)

14 hours ago, peanut said:
  • 125- Lilledahl / Davis
  • 133- Nagao / Davis
  • 141- Bartlett
  • 149- SVN / Kasak
  • 157- Kasak / Sealey
  • 165- Haines / MM
  • 174- MM / Facundo / Ryder
  • 184- Barr
  • 197- Starocci
  • 285- Kerk

The guy who weighed all of 161lbs at OTT is going to suddenly grow to 174lbs for next season?

Nah.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me