someone used to call out pop on no alcohol

This is a real challenge for coaching at OSU. Kids don't go there for the rigorous academics, and you don't necessarily want the demographic who doesn't care about academics unless they are really really good.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

17 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

This is a real challenge for coaching at OSU. Kids don't go there for the rigorous academics, and you don't necessarily want the demographic who doesn't care about academics unless they are really really good.

Penn State…not NOT known for being a great place to get absolutely hosed on a regular basis.  It’s a big ten school, you know the beer flows like wine.

That culture in the program changed because there was a higher prize on the line, which was a spot in the room around the best coach ever.

A similar thing will happen at OSU.  If you can either party or have a spot in what will likely become the #2 room in the country, you get your ducks in a row in a hurry.  Yes he will have to trim the roster, but so did Cael.  Coaches who hold themselves to interpersonal standards bring in the same type of kid.

Gable and J Smith had teams of heavy boozers because they wanted monomaniacal gremlins who were willing to take abuse.  A coach who is angry at the world attracts wrestlers who are angry at the world.  A coach who is a dick recruits wrestlers who are dicks.

Thank god that era seems to be 90% gone.  OSU will get its ducks in a row.  Academically, guarantee there are good programs somewhere in OK State, if not boosters can make pushes on that front as well. 

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

Penn State…not NOT known for being a great place to get absolutely hosed on a regular basis.  It’s a big ten school, you know the beer flows like wine.

That culture in the program changed because there was a higher prize on the line, which was a spot in the room around the best coach ever.

A similar thing will happen at OSU.  If you can either party or have a spot in what will likely become the #2 room in the country, you get your ducks in a row in a hurry.  Yes he will have to trim the roster, but so did Cael.  Coaches who hold themselves to interpersonal standards bring in the same type of kid.

Gable and J Smith had teams of heavy boozers because they wanted monomaniacal gremlins who were willing to take abuse.  A coach who is angry at the world attracts wrestlers who are angry at the world.  A coach who is a dick recruits wrestlers who are dicks.

Thank god that era seems to be 90% gone.  OSU will get its ducks in a row.  Academically, guarantee there are good programs somewhere in OK State, if not boosters can make pushes on that front as well. 

I'm just saying its gonna be harder than it was at PSU.

• Bob 1

BTW, who ever "called out Pop" on no alcohol?

And none of this implies that Sanderson would or taylor will throw someone off the team for drinking once like Popolizio. I recollect Ed Ruth having any altercation in a bar and don't remember him getting run off.

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

And none of this implies that Sanderson would or taylor will throw someone off the team for drinking once like Popolizio. I recollect Ed Ruth having any altercation in a bar and don't remember him getting run off.

And Taco Bell!

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm just saying its gonna be harder than it was at PSU.

Yeah you are definitely right about that.  

Okie State strikes me as a “drink first ask questions later” kind of environment.

Edited by wrestle87

20 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Lots of people have... there have been many posts and arguments about this topic and about his coaching style - especially in the context of who would replace Smith. You must have been on sabbatical. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I'm confused by the title of this thread...

But anyway, I don't recall seeing people "calling out" Pop.  More just acknowledging that his policy is his policy.  His program has a reputation for strict abstinence, year round, no second chances.  

Most programs have rules against drinking and/or partying during the season.  His are just more strict, and there are pros and cons to that approach. 

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

You really need to have a common sense approach to this. 

NO drinking is just not feasible at the College level with ~40 kids on your team.

You  have to have your finger on the pulse of the team and get out ahead of issues. Kids drinking some beer after Nationals and letting off a little steam, that shouldn't get you kicked off the team.

If a kid is drinking in February and getting blackout drunk...Wrestling isn't a priority and they should probably go ahead and transfer to ASU(I kid! Wisconsin is the place for those guys)...

Smoking pot? I can't do it, I get paranoid as hell, but I knew a lot of athletes who did and it actually helped motivate them. Again, that should be more of a "is this impacting his attendance in class, is he partying too much, are they not making weight." I don't think smoking pot is that big of a deal...but I'm positive that will be a minority opinion. 

Drinking is a bigger issue, but I am skeptical that you can eliminate that ENTIRELY, even at PSU. But in-season, that should be obvious. 

Edited by scourge165
  • Brain 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

You really need to have a common sense approach to this. 

NO drinking is just not feasible at the College level with ~40 kids on your team.

You  have to have your finger on the pulse of the team and get out ahead of issues. Kids drinking some beer after Nationals and letting off a little steam, that shouldn't get you kicked off the team.

If a kid is drinking in February and getting blackout drunk...Wrestling isn't a priority and they should probably go ahead and transfer to ASU(I kid! Wisconsin is the place for those guys)...

Smoking pot? I can't do it, I get paranoid as hell, but I knew a lot of athletes who did and it actually helped motivate them. Again, that should be more of a "is this impacting his attendance in class, is he partying too much, are they not making weight." I don't think smoking pot is that big of a deal...but I'm positive that will be a minority opinion. 

Drinking is a bigger issue, but I am skeptical that you can eliminate that ENTIRELY, even at PSU. But in-season, that should be obvious. 

i don't understand the nature of this response to my comment

Edited by Hammerlock3

45 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Lots of people have... there have been many posts and arguments about this topic and about his coaching style - especially in the context of who would replace Smith. You must have been on sabbatical. 

I recall saying he wasn't a fit for OSU for that reason more than once.

What do you mean called out? People are actually saying its just an all around bad policy?

A coach is never single handedly going to stop his team from partying they need to foster an environment amongst the team in which all the guys are holding each other accountable and I think that's what Pop and Cael seem to have done at PSU. I think they also recruit guys that fit that mold but also could be a reason Nc state has so many guys transfer out.

• Bob 1

All I know is Pop, Sanderson, and Taylor are costing themselves a shot at a 60 year old ex-swimmer who never met a carb he didn't like, be it liquid or solid. That is called opportunity cost, my friends.

• Haha 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)

Alcoholic here, and I am proud of the time I have in sobriety. But let me just mention this: Stillwater. 

Edit: It's why I got just a touch of buyer's remorse re Taylor. Coleman Scott lived there AND LIKED IT . . . so much so that he got out, lived in a place hospitable to humans, and then took a demotion to come back. That's some crazy shit. 

Edited by jackwebster
  • Bob 3
  • Clown 1

1 minute ago, jackwebster said:

Alcoholic here, and I am proud of the time I have in sobriety. But let me just mention this: Stillwater. 

Congratulations on your sobriety. Keep up the great and hard work. 

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

46 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i don't understand the nature of this response to my comment

And none of this implies that Sanderson would or taylor will throw someone off the team for drinking once like Popolizio.

I agreed and added my own opinion.

That's the nature of my response.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I recall saying he wasn't a fit for OSU for that reason more than once.

What do you mean called out? People are actually saying its just an all around bad policy?

I don't recall you specifically, but there were definitely people who thought his policy on no alcohol was overboard , outdated, wouldn't work at OSU, they are adults and so on. It will be interesting to see what the reaction will be if DT in fact puts some strict policies in place and uses the summer to straighten things out. Will it the policies be OK now because it's DT? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Maybe I’m misremembering or he was just talking about food, but didn’t Cael make a comment this season about people partying too hard during Thanksgiving break or something?

34 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Maybe I’m misremembering or he was just talking about food, but didn’t Cael make a comment this season about people partying too hard during Thanksgiving break or something?

"Partying too hard" for a Mormon means they had Starbucks.

• Fire 1
  • Clown 1

5 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

at least a few on this board in the past... dont' remember who... said he was crazy etc...

6 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Popolizio is a Rules guy.

Sanderson a Rules tempered by mercy and reality guy.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.