It's official

I am a neutral party when it comes to watching college wrestling, but have always enjoyed PSU since Cael.  But the new arrogance and WWE bravado of some of their athletes is off putting.  Especially this last dump Carter laid on the face of PSU/NLWC wrestling and one of the most decorated US wrestlers in history.  He will probably will win 5 titles, but because of his continued comments will never reach the level of respect as a wrestler/coach as DT.  David had a short stint on social media during the 2016 Cox Olympics, but that seems like an anomaly.  Carter's antics seems more like a character flaw.  

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

His team is literally run by a guy who gave up loyalty to coach at PSU.... 

He did what he believed best for his family as well as his coaching career.

Danny Gable went to Iowa - the hated in State rival that had never won an NCAA Championship. He left his home school which had won 7 National Titles.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

7 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

In a different era Gilman would be the biggest star in America with his credentials. He’s gotten coaching perspectives from two of the top programs with starkly different philosophies. I think that makes him well-rounded, and it’s easy to see he’s matured a lot. He would be an excellent pick up.

Yup.  How many other active coaches out there have both an Olympic medal AND a world title?  Not many. Outside of Kevin Jackson and the Brands bros I can't think of any.

2 minutes ago, BAC said:

Yup.  How many other active coaches out there have both an Olympic medal AND a world title?  Not many. Outside of Kevin Jackson and the Brands bros I can't think of any.

Zeke

• Bob 1

26 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Carter's antics seems more like a character flaw.

I've said it once, and I will say it 1,000 more times...

Carter does NOT work as a heel, no matter how hard he tries.  I can't see any realistic future in which he is a coach with his generally b*tchy attitude either.

The leadership on the PSU team is lacking integrity.  I don't agree that Cael and Co shuttered when Cater accepted a 5th year NIL.  The dynasty made it necessary to offer the kitchen skink to secure him and I'm sure Cale is fine with that.  This new era of paid to play is a different beast. 

1 hour ago, AgaveMaria said:

He did what he believed best for his family as well as his coaching career.

Danny Gable went to Iowa - the hated in State rival that had never won an NCAA Championship. He left his home school which had won 7 National Titles.

Ok? How is that relevant to this situation at all? Carter was calling out DT for something the leader of his team did himself. While your information is correct it has no place in this conversation.

• Bob 1

37 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

Ok? How is that relevant to this situation at all? Carter was calling out DT for something the leader of his team did himself. While your information is correct it has no place in this conversation.

You're arguing with a shoe.

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Who knows?  Most of what Carter does is schtick.  These are the first truky public signs of any dissension amongst the Penn State guys, but, again, it's Carter, so it's possible it's all schtick. 

I get that, I’m just trying to follow along.  I haven’t seen the $1.25 Million from anyone other than Minnow, so I’m a bit skeptical of that number.  But he very clearly said he’s the “highest paid by a lot.”   It seems there are multiple different guys rumored to have gotten around $500k, which would imply Carter is getting at least around $750K or so. So for his most recent statement to make any sense, he would’ve had to have gotten offered significantly more than that from somewhere else.  I guess it’s possible 

3 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

What he also doesn't understand, if his comment is directed at DT, is DT is playing at a different level now.  This is his livelihood.  This is his new profession and he is setting his family up for life at one of the storied programs.  Should he wait for 10 years to see if Cale steps down and gives him the program.  We see how that played out for CScott.

And Guerrero... And Esposito... 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, forkemaz said:

His team is literally run by a guy who gave up loyalty to coach at PSU.... 

Not to mention that Cael forced out Bobby Douglas, his mentor, in order to be promoted to Head Coach. Then up and left the program after that. How is that for loyal?

Check out the 3 minute mark in this StaleMates video if you don't believe me.

• Bob 3
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

And Guerrero... And Esposito... 

... don't forget Mark Perry.

Are you suggesting head coaches should never encourage assistants to move on?

34 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Not to mention that Cael forced out Bobby Douglas, his mentor, in order to be promoted to Head Coach. Then up and left the program after that. How is that for loyal?

Check out the 3 minute mark in this StaleMates video if you don't believe me.

Disgusting. Well it would be, if god hadnt personally told Cael to do it of course. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

Disgusting. Well it would be, if god hadnt personally told Cael to do it of course. 

Yeah, he kinda pulled the God card on that one, that's for sure.

For Cael, it was a good move.   He went where there was seemingly better opportunity.   DT is doing similar.   He would be an assistant at PSU for a very long time.   Now he is HC at a very prestigious wrestling university that was once great and could be great again.   It will be exciting to see how DT can get this going. 

Did  John Smith retire first or because of the DT hire?  Personally, JS needed to move out.   He was a great coach but like others before him, he just didn't have that same fire in the later years.   No disrespect aimed at him at all, he is a great coach.   I think he just held on a few years too long.   For DT, it was the right amount of years obviously.   It will be interesting to see how he does.   I wish him the best of luck. 

mspart

• Bob 1

34 minutes ago, scribers said:

DT isn’t going to win anything significant without financial support. If money were there, John smith would have gotten a the help he needed by now 

Idk, they said the Paycom guy brought out the big bucks and has committed to keeping the cash coming. The AD even said the Paycom dude gave them the jet to fly to Penn State. Might be some newer money. 

On 5/7/2024 at 1:46 PM, wrestlingshoe said:

The leadership on the PSU team is lacking integrity.  I don't agree that Cael and Co shuttered when Cater accepted a 5th year NIL.  The dynasty made it necessary to offer the kitchen skink to secure him and I'm sure Cale is fine with that.  This new era of paid to play is a different beast. 

Does this mean he will out Fererari the joker who does the splits & salutes the crowd..., for Jesus?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, scribers said:

DT isn’t going to win anything significant without financial support. If money were there, John smith would have gotten a the help he needed by now 

The money is there, big money!   💰 

4 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Idk, they said the Paycom guy brought out the big bucks and has committed to keeping the cash coming. The AD even said the Paycom dude gave them the jet to fly to Penn State. Might be some newer money. 

Why in the world wouldn’t this support not have been in place for smith? The guy is a legit cowboy legend. I get it coaches tend to age out. But this is one of the greatest us wrestlers of all time and great coach