Taylor's Assistants at OKST

6 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

Do they not need a Coach to roll more so with the heavier classes?

if taylor himself isn't 200 lbs at this moment i'd be amazed. Give it a few years and taylor will be wrestling a lot less, then they'll get the big guy.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

8 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

Do they not need a Coach to roll more so with the heavier classes?

They have an Olympic Gold Medalist for that.  Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in some RTC guys after this summer too. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 3:21 AM, AgaveMaria said:

John Smith and Dan Gable going in the room with their wrestlers. You can include Mark Schultz in the conversation.

They are killers.

David Taylor is very good, but not a killer.

There is a difference.

You could see it on the mat with these guys and their attitude.

Claiming a 4x World/Olympic Champ (and beat an all-timer in Yazdani to win every title) is not a killer is a wild take. 

Edited by Winners Circle

57 minutes ago, Gus said:

Looks like Tyler Caldwell is staying on as an assistant coach at OSU.

If you are a middle to upper middleweight, I cannot imagine a better two-man staff in the country to train under.

12 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

I guess you missed @Gus's post half an hour before yours...

... and @Gus missed the post and coaches listing on the web site yesterday ...  😉

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

Claiming a 4x World/Olympic Champ (and beat an all-timer in Yazdani to win every title) is not a killer is a wild take. 

I lol’ed at it too. Gable wrestled real mean and is the only one I’d describe as a killer but hey. 

8 hours ago, alex1fly said:

I lol’ed at it too. Gable wrestled real mean and is the only one I’d describe as a killer but hey. 

Anyone that wins at the level Gable, Cael, JWS, DT, Dake, JB, Big Bruce, etc. is an ultra-competitive killer that will do anything (within the rules) to win. 

7 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

Anyone that wins at the level Gable, Cael, JWS, DT, Dake, JB, Big Bruce, etc. is an ultra-competitive killer that will do anything (within the rules) to win. 

Guess that’s why I lol’ed at the original post. It’s an entirely subjective and pointless definition. 

• Fire 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:21 AM, Winners Circle said:

Obviously the two guys I'm about to bring up aren't proven at that level, but Jody Strittmatter talks about the differences between Spencer Lee and Jason Nolf while they were in his club.

Lee would be tremendously upset for hours if he gave up a takedown even to a full grown d1 all-American.  Nolf would try to experiment with techniques and would give up takedowns to kids 5-10 years younger.  Two different approaches that were both successful for these two 3x NCAA champs.

I think even the greatest winners can step out of "killer" territory while coaching if it benefits their athletes.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:21 AM, Winners Circle said:

Word, but there are differences of temperment, e.g. the Schultz's famously tried to maim their opponents.

• Brain 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:55 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Obviously the two guys I'm about to bring up aren't proven at that level, but Jody Strittmatter talks about the differences between Spencer Lee and Jason Nolf while they were in his club.

Lee would be tremendously upset for hours if he gave up a takedown even to a full grown d1 all-American.  Nolf would try to experiment with techniques and would give up takedowns to kids 5-10 years younger.  Two different approaches that were both successful for these two 3x NCAA champs.

I think even the greatest winners can step out of "killer" territory while coaching if it benefits their athletes.

I think the term 'killer' is different for each of these elite level winners. Cael Sanderson probably approached training different than Brands bros did. Both ultra successful, but different. But the similarity is that they both go ALL-IN on their method of training. You can't be ultra successful if you're not ALL-IN.