What is next for everyone at Sunkist

Sunkist is ending(or has ended). So what is next for everyone in Arizona? Does Mark Perry have a job? He is not on staff at ASU. Maybe I missed something. And also, what happens to all the wrestlers? Is something else(RTC) being stood up in place of Sunkist

Hopefully Zeke and ASU made plans for after.  If so we will get some sort of announcement that SWRTC or ARTC or some other RTC has 'formed' there pretty soon.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

We had a wrestler in HS that went to ASU.   I was in town on business and decided to go visit.   They had both college folks and Sunkist folks there.    I don't think they were practicing together but my impression was that the club practiced in the ASU wrestling room. 

mspart

Further to my previous post, Nashon Garrett was there working out.   He said hi to me.   The coaches were very kind to me after they found out what I wanted.   Zeke introduced me to Nashon and Lee Pritts.   They were all very kind and effusive about the HS kid.   I don't remember seeing Zahid.   The HS kid I was visiting was varsity for awhile.   Then Zahid came and that ended that.   

mspart

Posted (edited)

End of an era. We are lucky with what Art Martori invested into the sport, especially before the RTC model took shape and it seemed like all the top guys were relying on Sunkist. Not to mention saving the ASU program. A true friend of the sport and USA wrestling. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 2

On 5/6/2024 at 12:32 AM, wrestle87 said:

Hopefully we see a Sun Devil RTC popping up, minus mr jungle nose candy and mr grabby grabs.

I hope zeke is a nice coach, but that dude is also an undeniable enabler.

Zeke is a very nice guy, but would you care to elaborate on your undeniable enabler comment?  I'm not attacking you for saying that, but I'm curious as to why you would say it.  

1 hour ago, Husker U said:

Zeke is a very nice guy, but would you care to elaborate on your undeniable enabler comment?  I'm not attacking you for saying that, but I'm curious as to why you would say it.  

Coaches come in different types, disciplinarians, older brothers/uncles, hands off “that’s his problem” businessmen coaches, and coaches constantly patching up and covering up for their athletes when they do dumb stuff.

The best wrestler to come out of ASU in the past couple decades has a documented baking soda problem.  So much so that the AD took action, instead of the Head Coach himself.  This is an AD at a school which often contends for the title of the biggest party school in the country.  The bar for “moving the needle” on remarkable behavior is very high at ASU.

There is no way you can be a coach and not know about things like “illicit habits”  about your athletes.  Dudes on the team just talk too much, you spend too much time together, especially when it is your program’s star athlete.  Those relationships are 10x closer than with the backups.  

For an AD to step in and do something, making the announcement, etc. instead of Zeke, is a reflection of a dynamic that is a coach trying to protect his best kid in the short term (for personal gain), rather than help him in the long term.

Both in High School and college I had coaches who would bend over backwards to patch up, humor, or cater to the “favorite son” on the team.  It ruined team chemistry, and ultimately was pretty bad for the wrestler too.