CA's 20 Dollar Minimum wage already killing jobs and shuttering companies.

• 2 weeks later...

When the hamburger gets to be 15-20 dollars, people just decide they don't need that anymore.   Period. 

All told, going to a place to get a hamburger is a luxury or convenience item, not a necessity.   So when it gets too expensive, people quit buying.  

Raising min wage to $20/hour will cost jobs (store closings, robots) and make  the food more expensive.  It necessarily does this.   That is the thing that whacko left wingers never understand.   They raise the cost on owners to do their business, the owners must pass that expense on in higher prices or get rid of their employees.   Somehow the left wing whackos think that owners are so rich that they are exploiting their workers.   Not really the case.   They are trying to keep their prices low enough that people will buy their stuff.   If their stuff gets too expensive, people don't buy their stuff and the business goes under taking the employees with it.   It is simple economics.  

mspart

On 5/7/2024 at 2:23 PM, mspart said:

When the hamburger gets to be 15-20 dollars, people just decide they don't need that anymore.   Period. 

All told, going to a place to get a hamburger is a luxury or convenience item, not a necessity.   So when it gets too expensive, people quit buying.  

Raising min wage to $20/hour will cost jobs (store closings, robots) and make  the food more expensive.  It necessarily does this.   That is the thing that whacko left wingers never understand.   They raise the cost on owners to do their business, the owners must pass that expense on in higher prices or get rid of their employees.   Somehow the left wing whackos think that owners are so rich that they are exploiting their workers.   Not really the case.   They are trying to keep their prices low enough that people will buy their stuff.   If their stuff gets too expensive, people don't buy their stuff and the business goes under taking the employees with it.   It is simple economics.  

mspart

A double burger at In-N-Out is about 5 bucks…Is that unreasonable? 

1 minute ago, billyhoyle said:

Oh man,  when I'm out west I love the triple decker with thousand island dressing, little mayo, and relish.  Still remember my first In-N-Out visiting a friend summer of '98

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Oh man,  when I'm out west I love the triple decker with thousand island dressing, little mayo, and relish.  Still remember my first In-N-Out visiting a friend summer of '98

Is that also how you got the handle that you post with?

13 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

When government mandates raise the cost of labor, prices will necessarily rise.   And that is not good for consumers, business owners, and workers.   I was not citing real prices, it was an example of what high prices do.  

By the way, I've had the Double double at In n out.   Was not impressed.   My coworker couldn't stop talking about it so when I had a chance, I decided to go for it.    Again, not impressed.  

I'll take BurgerMaster anyday.   Local Seattle area joint that has the best burgers around.  

mspart

This is the guy that want's to be Biden's backup in case the Democratics decide they don't want Biden.   He has run CA into the ground.   And we want that for the US as a whole? 

Gimme a break.   Come on man.    True story. 

mspart

• Bob 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.savvydime.com/i-feel-ripped-off-californians-protest-fast-food-price-rises-by-spending-elsewhere/

Californians are saying goodbye to their favorite fast food spots as prices creep up. Greg LaVay, from San Diego, who once enjoyed frequent trips to McDonald’s, now prefers sit-down restaurants. 

“I feel ripped off a little,” he said to The Wall Street Journal, echoing a sentiment many share as menu prices surge.

Notice the anger is not aimed at the government, but at the establishments raising their prices because of the government action. 

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=14919

Last September, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed California Assembly Bill 1287 into law, which includes a $20 per hour minimum wage for fast-food workers and a fast-food regulatory council which has the authority to raise the industry’s minimum wage annually. But between last fall and January, California fast-food restaurants cut about 9,500 jobs, representing a 1.3 percent change from September 2023. Total private employment in California declined just 0.2 percent during the same period, which makes it tempting to conclude that many of those lost fast-food jobs resulted from the higher labor costs employers would need to pay.

10k jobs lost.   Now that was the result of a poorly thought out law.   And it was predicted.   This will not be good for owners, workers, or patrons.   It is a disastrous law.   How is it a benefit to a worker if they lose their job because of it?   Well they can go on welfare and the gov has them where they want them and can claim capitalism is bad.  

mspart

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, mspart said:

https://www.savvydime.com/i-feel-ripped-off-californians-protest-fast-food-price-rises-by-spending-elsewhere/

Californians are saying goodbye to their favorite fast food spots as prices creep up. Greg LaVay, from San Diego, who once enjoyed frequent trips to McDonald’s, now prefers sit-down restaurants. 

“I feel ripped off a little,” he said to The Wall Street Journal, echoing a sentiment many share as menu prices surge.

Notice the anger is not aimed at the government, but at the establishments raising their prices because of the government action. 

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=14919

Last September, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed California Assembly Bill 1287 into law, which includes a $20 per hour minimum wage for fast-food workers and a fast-food regulatory council which has the authority to raise the industry’s minimum wage annually. But between last fall and January, California fast-food restaurants cut about 9,500 jobs, representing a 1.3 percent change from September 2023. Total private employment in California declined just 0.2 percent during the same period, which makes it tempting to conclude that many of those lost fast-food jobs resulted from the higher labor costs employers would need to pay.

10k jobs lost.   Now that was the result of a poorly thought out law.   And it was predicted.   This will not be good for owners, workers, or patrons.   It is a disastrous law.   How is it a benefit to a worker if they lose their job because of it?   Well they can go on welfare and the gov has them where they want them and can claim capitalism is bad.  

mspart

Newsom is just not thinking ahead.  He should approve an exec order or get a bill passed similar to believe New Jersey requiring an attendent to charge electric vehicles (think old gas station attendents & like NJ).He already has the EV requirements coming, it takes 20 min to charge, he's got the $20 min wage.  C'mon Garvin think of the increased labor, all the money multiplier affect  & taxes paid!

Posted (edited)

All Californian's should be able to eat vegetables out of their own gardens and minimum wage will have no impact on supply correct?  🤔

Hence they don't need no stinking Baja Grills.

Edited by ionel
  • Bob 1

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Hence they don't need no stinking Baja Grills.

They were Baja Grills because they paid Baja.  Get rid of them.  Bring Californians Alta Grills paying $100 per hour for unskilled labor.  And do it now.  Grewsome mandates it.