CA's 20 Dollar Minimum wage already killing jobs and shuttering companies.

Man...seems CA is just falling apart...I read that there is a huge budget deficit and they are going to cut funding to law enforcement and prisons, among a few other things.  How can people say that Newsom is any good with a straight face??

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Man...seems CA is just falling apart...I read that there is a huge budget deficit and they are going to cut funding to law enforcement and prisons, among a few other things.  How can people say that Newsom is any good with a straight face??

It seems, and this comes from friends out there more than anything else, that it's more the California legislature than it is Newsome.   Conservative friends who find him much more moderate than the legislature.

8 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

The sad part is he’s not far enough to the left for many of the Marxist’s in California.  California is the future of America and it’s sad. 

51 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

It seems, and this comes from friends out there more than anything else, that it's more the California legislature than it is Newsome.   Conservative friends who find him much more moderate than the legislature.

yeah, i don't buy it. did you ever hear the BS he espouses?

even if the legislature is 'more liberal' it doesn't let Newsome off the hook. he's a disaster.

image.png

TBD

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Yeah...I have a 2nd Aunt that lives out there and she says it's both...the legislature and Newsome.  It just seems something isn't and hasn't been right in that state with all the people leaving and the resulting tax money deficit.

• Bob 1

The legislature passed the $20/hour bill and Newsome signed it.   No one held a gun to either and made them do it.   Both are culpable.  Clear and simple. 

And the effect is to reduce jobs for those very restaurant workers they were looking to help out.    Not much help there fella. 

In WA, the legislature passed a law stopping new construction natural gas hookups.   Also the bill allowed the local King County utility to start charging more in fees so they can get more  electrification going.   And then, the bill also allows the utility (again King County specific) to shut off natural gas service to customers in any way they feel they want to.  

The legislature was luke warm to this.   It turns out the governor told the legislature that if they didn't pass this he would veto the rest of their bills.   So they dutifully passed this.   So both are culpable, the governor more than the legislature but the legislature could have called the bluff.   They did not.

There is now a campaign to sign a petition to repeal this law by Initiative.   They need a lot of signatures and need to get them by July and the campaign started 3-4 weeks ago.   Very fast.   But polls show 75% of WA residents do not like this law.   Hopefully this gets enough sigs and gets on the ballot in November.   I have 2 petitions and have almost filled those out just in my neighborhood.  

The un-justness of this law is in the details.   It only allows the one utility to do this.   Not all utilities in the state.   No doubt that will come later.   Also it allows that utility to charge us all for their electrification upgrades which are unnecessary if this law was not passed.   So we pay there.  Then if our service gets cut off, folks like me will have to get a new furnace, water heater, and stovetop, and others have other natural gas appliances.   Emergency generators run on natural gas or propane (propane is also part of the law) so those people will be screwed.   And then, for people in my situation will not only have to buy new appliances (+$10k) but the house electric service will have to be upgraded to be able to run those appliances (+10k's).   This is a raw deal.   I have spoken with a number of folks that are happy to sign the petition.  

mspart

CA passed the bill with a caveat that those enterprises that as of the date (of passage or implementation I don't know) any franchise that makes their own bread and sells it as such is exempt from the fast food min wage.   Now let's guess who that carve out was for.   Let's see, what place makes their own bread and sells their own bread and is nationwide and doubles as a food place?  Hmmmmm    Any Guessers out there?

Panera.   Owner of many Panera joints is a big donor to Newsome.   Interesting that carve out was made specifically for him.   Was that the legislature or the Governor. 

Again, no one forced the governor to sign the bill, but he wanted to as has been demonstrated.   The legislature and executive of CA are both culpable here for the loss of 10k jobs and some business owner's livelihoods.    You can bet that they are very happy about this new law.  

mspart

• Bob 2

19 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

• Bob 1

That's the way to keep criminals off the streets and out of our cars. 

I hate to say it but what we need is for these idiot liberals to have their homes invaded, vandalized, cars destroyed etc.   When the issue doesn't touch them they don't care.  

mspart

• Bob 1

On 6/6/2024 at 11:25 AM, Husker_Du said:

shocked. shocked i tell ya. i could have never imagined this would be the outcome.

The automation was coming anyway. A lot of the fast food places in my area don't have cashiers. They use terminals and you order yourself or you use the app to order on your phone. Our minimum wage is still $7.25.

On 6/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, ionel said:

The lefties have hissy conniption fits when a company charges surge pricing yet the lefties LOVE when governments charge surge fees like higher HOV toll rates (toll rates at all are this same pro-goverment surge pricing love) and allow utilities to charge more during "peak hours'.  But the minute a company charges surge rates to try to entice customers to come earlier or later to smooth out the flow the scream about heartless capitalists.

Other examples:  Happy Hour and Early Bird Specials.  These are surge pricing in reverse.  Entice people to the bar earlier through lower prices thereby leveling the overall demand.  If you hate surge pricing then you should hate happy hours.

P.S.  Let's reduce congesting in NYC by not going there.  All trucks just drop your goods in Jersey, Connecticut, etc. and let NYC officials come get it themselves.

1 hour ago, Lipdrag said:

P.S.  Let's reduce congesting in NYC by not going there.  All trucks just drop your goods in Jersey, Connecticut, etc. and let NYC officials come get it themselves.

I'm all for this, feel the same way about Chicago especially after the mayor bulldozed Meigs field middle of the night/morning Sun/Mon. 

You are supposed to wait for the police to come in 4 hours if they ever make it and let them sort things out.   There never is a need to take matters into your own hands.  

mspart

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, mspart said:

You are supposed to wait for the police to come in 4 hours if they ever make it and let them sort things out.   There never is a need to take matters into your own hands.  

mspart

Well that and he was only a "suspect" so maybe wait for the trial before calling the police.  🙅‍♀️

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Well that and he was only a "suspect" so maybe wait for the trial before calling the police.  🙅‍♀️

Call Merick Garland and tell him you saw Trump on your property with a secret document.  SWAT will be there faster than Jimmy Johns (freaky fast) and have authorization to kill all present.  Problem solved.  But make sure you duck.

• Bob 1
  • Ionel 1

2 hours ago, mspart said:

if the alleged crime is the right crime or so it seems. 

It is not the crime that matters.  They can make that up like New York does.  But show Garland the right man (a man from the political right) and he will find you the crime.  Channeling his inner Beria.

Edited by Lipdrag