Governor Landry suggests pulling scholarships for athletes who skip National Anthem.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When you start making excuses for a group you favor based on logistics, you really do not have an argument at all.

No excuses all wrestlers stood for the National anthem when it was played and were respectful. No wrestler left the gym or sat down or knelt down.  We didn't have or tolerate any of this WOKE GARBAGE.

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I would doubt that in terms of scholarship given he's still a government employee, but could probably have a workaround related to playing time.

You are free to Google Kim Mulkey.

Her statement is disingenuous. You are a smart guy and I know you know that.

46 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Because of the venue and the type of event is my guess.  They ask the wrestlers to leave the mat and the timing of the anthem isn't conducive to having all the teams and their wrestlers out there.  My guess is the wrestlers, unless up right away, stop what they are doing and respect the anthem.  And that was my experience when I use to help coach our national team at Fargo.

So your 'guess' just so happens to give the benefit of the doubt to the group that you like and not to the group/person you don't like. Racking my brain to think of one word to describe that phenomenon. 

47 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Even if it was a requirement to receive a scholarship, and/or required to receive state funding?

Yes. 

Government, 'Believe this arbitrary thing that I want you to believe and express that belief in the way I want you to express it, or else.' Violation of free speech/expression 

2 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

Ghetto girls don't want to stand for the anthem then suffer the consequences.

Like having their 1st amendment rights violated? I bet that would do wonders for LSU's recruiting. 

• Fire 1

Ghetto girls don't want to stand for the anthem then suffer the consequences.

So, because they are “ghetto girls”, they should have their constitutional rights violated?

Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

no one should HAVE to stand for the national anthem.

but they can also stfu when people consider them scumbags. 

ya know, 1st amendment rights and all.

same first amendment rights that have the snowflake lefties in this thread cried real tears about when elon bought twitter. 

• Bob 1

TBD

20 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

same first amendment rights that have the snowflake lefties in this thread cried real tears about when elon bought twitter. 

You're talking about two different things, just like Elon was.  First Amendment doesn't have anything to do with private companies and their platforms.  The previous owners were well within their rights to censor and restrict what was put out, as is Elon; it's just hilarious that he does it because he says he bought it to stop the "woke leftists" from doing it to his preferred ideology.  Again, his right on his platform, but then don't get whiny when people make fun of you (Elon) for claiming to be a free speech absolutist.

• Bob 1

15 hours ago, jross said:

Why would a student accept money from a government entity that they don't support?

Not at all a fan of of someone leaving the court during the anthem, but am a big fan of people exercising their constitutional rights of speech and protest peacefully. That IS support for the government entity. Our history is filled with protest against the government to improve it. We wouldn’t have become the greatest country in the world without it. And it doesn’t work if we only pick and choose the specific instances in which we are okay with someone exercising their individual rights peacefully.  

To be okay with this is to be okay with taking something away from someone that they earned, because you don’t like their idea. Not because they’re violent, or doing drugs, or harming children, or committing other crimes, or cheating on exams…..but because you don’t like their idea. 

‘Merica! 🇺🇸

• Brain 1

13 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Got it..thanks.  But a coach could make a rule that his/her/their players stand/pay tribute when the anthem is playing and this is not covered under free speech?

Coach could do a lot of different things to prepare their athletes for high level events. Lots of coaches do lots of different things. Thats the beautiful thing with freedom. When you are preparing your athletes for high level events, you will enjoy that freedom too. 

15 hours ago, Danny Deck said:

This seems like a politician harvesting rage. No SEC football team was on the field for the Anthem as of 2017. https://theathletic.com/110576/2017/09/25/college-football-national-anthem-protests-nfl-president-donald-trump/

It doesn't look like West Point has team's on the field for their games: 

News at 9! Exceptions definitely prove the rule that I just made up! 

8 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. But are you saying, if the don't stand for the anthem(something they don't have to if they don't want to) then they shouldn't try to defend themselves from the vitriol people spew at them for making a choice they are allowed to make? 

If that's the case, not sure you can square that circle. 

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

Agree but you can’t really get mad when you’re defending free speech right? 

Why not? What does free speech have to do with my emotions? Its not like I am arguing the state should take money away from him.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

18 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why not? What does free speech have to do with my emotions? Its not like I am arguing the state should take money away from him.

So your emotions are ok for speaking out but Lisa’s aren’t?  Got it. 🤦‍♀️ 

Edited by JimmyBT

16 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

So your 'guess' just so happens to give the benefit of the doubt to the group that you like and not to the group/person you don't like. Racking my brain to think of one word to describe that phenomenon. 

What??  Who said I don't like the basketball team or their members??  I don't even know them.  Once again trying to read into things to find a boogeyman and label me with some sort of 'ism.  If you read ALL my post dumb dumb you would have seen I really don't care that they weren't out there for the national anthem.  I personally like it when players stay and stand, but again, couldn't care less if others don't.  How many more times do I need to type it before you get it babble boy??  And by the way my "guess" is based on experience at large national wrestling tournaments and talking with college coaches....so yeah...call that a "guess" I...guess?!?

• Bob 1